Keyfob

i'm new to lexus and want to know if there is a way to have the doors lock automatically when i walk away from the car w/out having to push the lock button. i know it automatically unlocks when you get close to the car but unsure of locking.

thanks

I find it quicker to use the lock button on the smart key as I am walking away from the car provided the smart key is in my pocket. Habit has gotten me into using the smart key because at night I like to know the lights shut off so I usually hit the lock button twice on the smart key. Don't ask me why, I guess I want to see the lights go out. I have this stupid fear that something will screw up and the lights will stay on all night. Minor OCD maybe.

steviej

Don't ask me why, I guess I want to see the lights go out. I have this stupid fear that something will screw up and the lights will stay on all night. Minor OCD maybe.

I do the exact same thing in my office parking garage. I have this fear that when I leave work at the end of the day, my lights will have been on and my car won't start. I don't know if it is minor OCD, or just a lack of trust in technology. :unsure:

--Duckman

I do the exact same thing in my office parking garage. I have this fear that when I leave work at the end of the day, my lights will have been on and my car won't start. I don't know if it is minor OCD, or just a lack of trust in technology. :unsure:

--Duckman

Oh thank God, I'm not alone. :rolleyes:

sj

--Duckman

Oh thank God, I'm not alone. :rolleyes:

sj

Me three. In fact now I've gotten into the habit of hitting the lock twice regardless of the lights. Wife thinks it's weird - she'll add it to her list of "strange husband things"... ;)

OP - in addition to locking with the keyfob, and pressing the black button on any of the doors, you can just leave the car for 30 seconds and it'll lock itself. I would imagine this is another setting that the dealer can change if your car doesn't already do it. Mine is set up that away. As long as the engine is not running and all the doors (including trunk) are closed - the car will lock itself after 30 seconds, giving you the "auto lock" feature you're asking about.

Of course, whether or not you trust your environment enough to turn your back no the car and let the it lock after 30 seconds is a whole different question... :rolleyes:

I use to click lock twice to shut off the headlight, I had the dealer change the setting so the headlight shuts off when I open the driver door with car off.

The auto 30 second lock only works if you unlock the and do not open the door for 30 seconds, it will lock itself. If you are driving and exit and turn off the car, it will not lock itself.