Anyone Drive On The Sand?

I am a satisfied Lexus ES330 owner. I am now in the market for a second Lexus. It would be used for winter driving in the Northeast and summer vacationing near the beach. I have looked at the GX450 and know that it would serve my purposes but I like the styling and performance of the RX350. I would be taking the car on the sand (probably 6 times a year). Can the RX350 withstand that type of driving?

I am a satisfied Lexus ES330 owner. I am now in the market for a second Lexus. It would be used for winter driving in the Northeast and summer vacationing near the beach. I have looked at the GX450 and know that it would serve my purposes but I like the styling and performance of the RX350. I would be taking the car on the sand (probably 6 times a year). Can the RX350 withstand that type of driving?

Sure, just deflate your tires to 15 PSI and use common sense when on the sand.

If you remember this is just a tall ES350 but with better ground clearance and not bad approach/departure levels, you'll be OK. MY RX350 just today went across a newly-cut farm field with some mud with no problems. You can get anything stuck, including a Jeep Wrangler, so respect for the environment you'll be driving in and the capabilities of your vehicle should be right up front. The RX350 is lower cost, quieter and better handling IMHO.

If you remember this is just a tall ES350 but with better ground clearance and not bad approach/departure levels, you'll be OK. MY RX350 just today went across a newly-cut farm field with some mud with no problems. You can get anything stuck, including a Jeep Wrangler, so respect for the environment you'll be driving in and the capabilities of your vehicle should be right up front. The RX350 is lower cost, quieter and better handling IMHO.

Depends..on hard sand like Daytona no problem of course...but on soft sand you're taking a chance..even with AWD you're risking getting stuck if all of the wheels start spinning....I've seen a lot of AWD vechicles stuck in sand, and while even a "real" 4WD with locking differentials does occasionally get stuck (most often due to knucklehead drivers) it is much less common...if you try it with an RX just make sure you are in an area with good samaritans or be prepared for a very expensive tow bill...I've been in deep soft sand with my Sequoia that I know my wife's RX would never get through.....

• 5 weeks later...

Absolutely... See What Consumer Reports has to say on the subject.

Absolutely... see what the 2009 Consumer Reports issue has to say on the subject on the RX350. The 2009 New Car issue states that sand and snow traction are one of the strongest features of the RX350. Deflation of the tires may help but you can always deflate after you are there if there is a traction problem. Taking a tire gauge (and maybe a portable compressor) would be a good idea to make sure you have equal pressure for fun for sand surfing and then heading back to your original destination. If not... I figure you have Road Service, lol.... go for it. I know you won't be disappointed.