Front End Noise

Hi I have a 1999 GS400 with 100,000 miles and it makes a noise from the front of the car when I turn either left or right also it makes noise when I go over bumps or when I turn while reversing or when I turn when I put the car on drive it also makes the same noise when I am parked in a steep drive way and I put the car in either drive or reverse. The noise is like a metal knocking, bending and cracking type of noise. My brother looked at the car and said its the rack and pinion but I think its the control arm but what do you guys think. Keep in mind the noise comes from both sides of the car the left and right when I turn.

Hi I have a 1999 GS400 with 100,000 miles and it makes a noise from the front of the car when I turn either left or right also it makes noise when I go over bumps or when I turn while reversing or when I turn when I put the car on drive it also makes the same noise when I am parked in a steep drive way and I put the car in either drive or reverse. The noise is like a metal knocking, bending and cracking type of noise. My brother looked at the car and said its the rack and pinion but I think its the control arm but what do you guys think. Keep in mind the noise comes from both sides of the car the left and right when I turn.

I AM HAVING A SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH MY 1998 GS300 124K MILES. BUT MY PROBLEM IS INTERMITTENT DOESNT HAPPEN ALL THE TIME. BUT WHEN IT DOES IM LIKE WHAT DA F*#K. I STILL HAVENT FIGURE OUT WHAT IT IS BUT I BELIEVE MY CALIPERS ARE LOCKING UP ON THE ROTORS(FRONT). YOU CAN JACK UP YOUR FRONT AND SPIN THE WHEEL AND CHECK FOR RESISTANCE.

I AM HAVING A SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH MY 1998 GS300 124K MILES. BUT MY PROBLEM IS INTERMITTENT DOESNT HAPPEN ALL THE TIME. BUT WHEN IT DOES IM LIKE WHAT DA F*#K. I STILL HAVENT FIGURE OUT WHAT IT IS BUT I BELIEVE MY CALIPERS ARE LOCKING UP ON THE ROTORS(FRONT). YOU CAN JACK UP YOUR FRONT AND SPIN THE WHEEL AND CHECK FOR RESISTANCE.

Thanks for the reply I saw your post and decided to post my problem up also because it sounds similar to the problem I have but I believe its the rack and pinion in my car but lets see whats happens. I will raise up the car and check it out by doing what you told me to do.

Could be the sway bar links... could be broken axles... could be control arm related... maybe even ball joints... time to put the beast on a lift and look under its skirt.

Thank You

I had a similar problem and found out the hard way. It was the ball joints. Unfortunately I didnt replace them early enough and one of them popped out bending my fender slightly and dropping my front end onto the right rotor when the wheel fell over with the ball joint hanging out. I am thankful that it happened in a gas station and not on the highway. The 2nd generation GS series are known for the ball joints to pop out.

I suggest replace them as soon as possible before you kill yourself on the highway. They run $100 each from dealer and maybe $70-$80 each to put in at a local car shop.

• 2 weeks later...
I had a similar problem and found out the hard way. It was the ball joints. Unfortunately I didnt replace them early enough and one of them popped out bending my fender slightly and dropping my front end onto the right rotor when the wheel fell over with the ball joint hanging out. I am thankful that it happened in a gas station and not on the highway. The 2nd generation GS series are known for the ball joints to pop out.

I suggest replace them as soon as possible before you kill yourself on the highway. They run $100 each from dealer and maybe $70-$80 each to put in at a local car shop.

I AM HAVING A SIMILAR NOISE, I TOUGHT IT WAS THE CALIPERS LOCKING UP, THAT WAS PROBALLY A PROBLEM AS WELL, BUT I STILL HAVE NOISE SOUNDS LIKE METAL BENDING, AND KNOCKING.