Sputter When Accelerating

killerFatty

fuel filter probably isnt ur problem.....check engine light on? when was the last time u tuned it up? how many miles are on it? give more info please

fuel filter probably isnt ur problem.....check engine light on? when was the last time u tuned it up? how many miles are on it? give more info please

Check engine light is off and it has 175K. It hasnt been tuned up in a while but i was thinking about doing that soon. do you think thats all it needs?

It spputters when i accelerate from a stop or when i try to pass and accelerate but not when I'm just cruzing.

Hmmm, mine never does it when trying to pass. I talked with a transmission guy and he said there might not be enough fluid or it might need to be flushed. The autozone guy said to replace a transmission fluid filter on bottom? it was like 45 bucks. i'm going to flush mine and replace that filter and hopefully that will help.

Hmmm, mine never does it when trying to pass. I talked with a transmission guy and he said there might not be enough fluid or it might need to be flushed. The autozone guy said to replace a transmission fluid filter on bottom? it was like 45 bucks. i'm going to flush mine and replace that filter and hopefully that will help.

my machanic said it might need a transmissionfluid flush so that might help and I'll definetly get the filter replaced. thx for the advice.

Transmissions don't cause misfires. It sounds to me like you have a bad ignition wire or two. Remove them and inspect for cross-firing, and if some are bad, replace with a factory set.

You may also have a weak ignition coil. Best idea would be to have the ignition analyzed on a 'scope.

Transmissions don't cause misfires. It sounds to me like you have a bad ignition wire or two. Remove them and inspect for cross-firing, and if some are bad, replace with a factory set.

You may also have a weak ignition coil. Best idea would be to have the ignition analyzed on a 'scope.

do you think a good tune up would take care of it?

You can throw parts at it and probably fix it, but my response is always to diagnose, and fix what's broken. A good scope and a technician that can read it will find the problem quickly.

You can throw parts at it and probably fix it, but my response is always to diagnose, and fix what's broken. A good scope and a technician that can read it will find the problem quickly.

ok I will have my michanic scope it and ill get back to you. thx

I've got a 95 gs300 and I'm looking at spending 250 bucks on some new MAGNECOR KV85 8.5MM SPARK PLUG WIRES. anybody know if these are just a waste or what? i dont have anything done to the motor but i plan on upgrading things soon(ignition and cams,exhaust)

should i get these or just the basic stock ones?

I've got a 95 gs300 and I'm looking at spending 250 bucks on some new MAGNECOR KV85 8.5MM SPARK PLUG WIRES. anybody know if these are just a waste or what? i dont have anything done to the motor but i plan on upgrading things soon(ignition and cams,exhaust)

Basic stock ones. the 8.5 only relates to the total diameter of the insulation, not any other part of the wire. There are 8.8's made by Accel for hot rods but they run 60KV coils and arcing is a problem. Just go with OEM rated ones and save your money.

• 1 month later...

Basic stock ones. the 8.5 only relates to the total diameter of the insulation, not any other part of the wire. There are 8.8's made by Accel for hot rods but they run 60KV coils and arcing is a problem. Just go with OEM rated ones and save your money.

B) Thanks for the advice, im going to try new plug wires next, i just flushed the tranny and it still hesitates sometimes. what's a good aftermarket ignition coil to buy and where?

THX!!! :cheers:

My 93ls had sputtering under acceleration or even going up small hills on the freeway. I did a complete tune-up and this fixed the prob.

What I found was that the the dist. caps on both side had massive corrosion in side the coil wire terminals. The caps looked great on the outside but when removing the coil wires the terminal broke apart exposing the corrosion.

I recommend changing the caps and rotors along with the wires and plugs. Cleaning the throttle body well. And a can of Seafoam now and then. Also replace all of the vacuum lines that you can see on top of the engine. They get old and cracked or loose fitting and affected my idle and performance.

If you have time to wait you can order parts on-line from Park Place Lexus-Plano Texas. Their site gives the parts and price. And they have some of the best prices that I have found. If you don't see the part you need just type what you want in the additional info. box. I have ordered many times from them and have had nothing but excellent service.