Is Lexus Concealing A Potential Issue With The Es350?

nharish

Again...I would have the independent shop do the alignment! Makes no sense why you would have them check it and not do it, 95% of the work is done for them to check the alignment once its up on the rack!

I know you want them to fix it, but you're obviously not getting anywhere with them. Pay the $150, let the other shop do it right and punish the dealer by not having your car maintained there anymore. You'll save the $150 at the first oil change!

If everyone is saying its screwed up you gotta let someone fix it.

Steve,

I am not sure you got the point. The problem is NOT with alignment alone (front toe and steer ahead is just one issue). There are several other issues: Given that that thrust angle with well within spec (reads 0.03), the car should drive straight went set straight (regardless of how crooked the steering is) on a straight road regardless of the crown (I am talking about nominal crown for water to seep to the gutter). The car does NOT do that. I can visually see the steering turn itself to the "crown" which tells me that the steering is "loose". The car exhibits tremendous pull (I personally do not think its torque steer) when accelerating, decelerating or braking. All these cannot be attributed to alignment. If I had to get these issues fixed, it would cost me thousands of dollars for a car that is under warranty for 4yrs/50,000 miles for these kinds of issues. Why shud I pay that out of my pocket.

The reason I had the shop only check the alignment was to get a second opinion to make a case for arbitration strong. If I had it fixed, it would weaken my case significantly.

Again, I repeat, its not a $150 issue (even if it was I refuse to pay that out of my pocket). Its not an alignment issue. Its about much more than that and if you have some other suggestion that me getting my alignment done at the shop, please let me know :)

Harish

Making a case for arbitration or a lawsuit is well and good. But I believe there are several lawsuits (perhaps more) already against Lexus. Lexus and the dealerships are masters at avoiding loss of profit. It's been my experience that when there is an issue with a customer and unsatisfactory results in the work performed (under warranty or not), the higher up the issue goes (escalating to the GM, then to Lexus HQ, etc), the more resistance and defiant the dealership seems to get. So you are probably, at this point, (as Steve also commented) NOT going to get a favorable resolution from the dealership or Lexus.

In the meantime, you might want to get your car completely checked out and made right, by an independent shop - whatever the cost to you. Documenting all actions and out of pocket costs should be sufficient to compile your data for a potential lawsuit, if you go that route - so take a number and get in line.

Normal torque steer and "tremendous pull" are two different things, although they could be related somehow. Tremendous pull could also have nothing to do with the steering system, it could be brakes, wheel bearings, or axles.

In any case, the car needs to be completely checked out and all repairs made and documented - by a qualified repair shop. If you have given Lexus and the dealership every opportunity to fix the car under warranty, and it's still not right or SAFE, then you have every right to get it fixed and send Lexus the bill. Whether they pay it wil be another issue.

If you have not already done so, you might also confer with a "Lemon Law" type attorney.

I'm curious how this story will end... so please keep us informed.

That's just my worthless opinion. B)

Randy,

I disagree with the fact that this is worthless opinion! You make some extremely valid points. I have already spoken to a lemon law attorney and he is willing to take it up on a contingency basis. He has already advised me to NOT get the vehicle fixed unless I think its unsafe. As you know about lawyers, they would not touch a case unless they think there is something real about the issue (Thats just the nature of their profession for the amount of time they have to toil with a case, I am not blaming them!), it gives me more confidence in the fact that I can have this car either rectified or replaced or refunded. I will be speaking to the attorney again today.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what typo of contingency is the lawyer going to charge?

cheers and good luck

My understanding (I do not understand legal terms very well yet!) is that they are going to send a letter to Lexus on my behalf. Its not a lawsuit. Depending on the outcome (which I understand typically takes 6-8 weeks), the attorney will advice appropriately.

He's asking how the attorney is going to get paid. Taking your case on contingiency means he intends to be paid out of whatever settlement he wins for you. This is typical in cases where there is a big monetary settlement.

This whole thing seems weird...good luck with it... <_<

He's asking how the attorney is going to get paid. Taking your case on contingiency means he intends to be paid out of whatever settlement he wins for you. This is typical in cases where there is a big monetary settlement.

This whole thing seems weird...good luck with it... <_<

Hmm.. seems like I lost my grasp of english altogether eh! I'd not answered simply because I chose not to divulge too many details because its all in a premature state. Not that I want to hide it, but just think its too early. As for your "seems wierd" comment... let me just say that I am not surprised that its coming from you! Simply because you do not understand what the problem does not make it a non-issue.

Check this out to see if this applies to you http://www.lexustsb.com/content/1/62/en/ts...o-one-side.html

Darren,

It was that problem. But lately I have been having issues with my steering. Car pulls a lot on acceleration, deceleration and braking. I do not think its alignment or tires. Two independent sources (dealer and a alignment shop) have determined that the tires are okay. The alignment shop determined that the alignment should not cause the vehicle to pull (although its front too is off causing the steering to be crooked). Thanks for bringing it up though.

Steve, If thats what you meant, thanks :)

• 2 months later...

Check this out guys! The levels to which the a dealership will stoop to! I took it to a third dealership who agreed to look at my car. They initially said they would have to charge me for the alignment. Eventually they called back (it was always their General Service Manager btw!) and said they wanted me back as a customer and decided to do it free. Funnily enough, the tech says he drove the car for 4 miles on smooth road and experienced NO drift. However, their own records (see attachment) show that the car was never driven (IN and OUT mileage are the same). So unless they pulled the odometer out (which is illegal) I am not sure how they did it. On top of this, I test drove the car with the General Service Manager and the car exhibited no change (although they claim that they fixed the alignment which in their opinion was off and my previous car dealer had done a BAD job according to them). I showed them how the car drifted and the General Service Manager attributed that to the "road crown". We then test drove a loaner and that car drove perfectly fine (even though the General Service Manager refuted it!). This is from Lexus supposed to be the most reliable car. I guess this is how they do it, be in denial with all their problems.

I am also uploading the dealer version on the warranty. This version is different from the ones we get. It states that the alignment and wheel balancing is covered for 12mos/20000 miles ONCE. Our warranties do not state a numerical limit. When asked, they say the dealer version always supersedes. Since when? These guys either do not know the Magnuson-Moss law or they take advantage of unaware customers.

All I have to say about Lexus is CHEAP! Would you still consider buying one?

LexusWarrantyDealerVersion.PDF

post-62202-1224995015_thumb.jpg

All I have to say about Lexus is CHEAP! Would you still consider buying one?

No, I would buy another without even considering it.

Do all of us a favor and just get rid of the car.

Steve,

I agree with you for the first time. I do want to get rid of the car. All I am asking for is my money back! Its people like you who Lexus and similar companies so depend upon. Defend them regardless of their screwups because you refuse to understand issues. All I have been stating until now ARE FACTS. All you have been stating until now are your perceptions. I believe there is a difference between being objective and not. You for all your money's worth can never be objective. What I attached with my post is a FACT. The fact that the dealer LIED and at the behest of Lexus. Whatever they have done is a BREACH OF WARRANTY. Alas, you think that alignment is NOT covered under warranty and I cannot with all my objectivity get the fact that it is covered under warranty (their book says so, not my interpretation) into your brain. Also, whatever happened to your "I am done with this thread". I am not posting this for your view nor am I trying to prove a point to YOU. I live by extremely strong ethical principles and stand up against what I deem is wrong. Do you have a problem? If so, so be it.

This is for the general public. I want them to know how lousy Lexus is when it comes to fixing issues and worse yet covering them up.

Excellent. Sell the car and leave us alone.

For what its worth I don't discount that Lexus has issues just like every carmaker does. Obviously there are rattle issues and things like that with newer cars and I have commented how I feel they've reduced the quality of their interiors on many models.

However, I have been around this brand for a decade and they have always treated me right, issues I've had have always been promptly addressed and covered under warranty without question. I've used crappy dealers and great ones, even the crappy one wasn't awful but the great one is really great and my car with 120,000 miles still runs, rides, and drives as great as it did when it was new. Obviously the marque continues to rate at the top or near the top of every customer satisfaction, repeat owner rate, or dependability study out there...so I must not be alone.

My issue with you is that you don't seem to want to be satisfied, you refuse to simply pay to have a new alignment done by someone else to see if it fixes your issue because of your "ethics" and in every exchange you have with a dealer, at least as it seems here, you always come away with having looked for "lies" and "deciet".

nharish this thread is way too long to read every bit of it as it lost its point a long time ago .

An alignment is only as good as the parts , if 1 bushing or joint is worn , no matter what alignment you get it will be off the moment the car drives away.

I have had multiple senior Lexus techs tell me that the bushings or joints are good and have to make them pull out a breaker bar to pry it in the wrong direction to see the stress fractures in the bushings.

Also some tires on certain roads to multiple the crown effect as to how the treads are designed.

I'd be really surprised if the bushings or joints were worn or bad on a car that new though, wouldn't you?

I think what you need to try to get them to do is tear the thing down in the front and find out if theres anything going on in there...based on my experience they will do that but they're not going to do it if you're ranting and raving and calling them liars and arguing about what the warranty says and the magnussen moss law and stuff like that.

If you stay pleasant, but firm, you can get them to address your issues. Ask anyone here, there are members here who have accomplished warranty covered repairs OUT of warranty, but they did it by being pleasant, but firm and not trying to accuse them of anything but instead trying to work with them to find the issue.

If it means you have to pay a diagnostic fee, I'd pay the diagnostic fee and then when they find the issue they'll refund it...if there is an issue.

I'd be really surprised if the bushings or joints were worn or bad on a car that new though, wouldn't you?

I think what you need to try to get them to do is tear the thing down in the front and find out if theres anything going on in there...based on my experience they will do that but they're not going to do it if you're ranting and raving and calling them liars and arguing about what the warranty says and the magnussen moss law and stuff like that.

If you stay pleasant, but firm, you can get them to address your issues. Ask anyone here, there are members here who have accomplished warranty covered repairs OUT of warranty, but they did it by being pleasant, but firm and not trying to accuse them of anything but instead trying to work with them to find the issue.

If it means you have to pay a diagnostic fee, I'd pay the diagnostic fee and then when they find the issue they'll refund it...if there is an issue.

SW03ES, you do not know me personally and so I do not think its appropriate of you to judge me based on my comments here. I have had a very good experience with all the service managers. I have helped one purchase a laptop for a great price. I've helped another with a number of Photoshop tips and even offered to give him the books that I use. So like I said again, there is no issue with personality here. The entire problem is issue based. The fact that the field rep told me one thing on my face and wrote it up differently altogether. The problem really started after this point. Imagine this guy forcing the second dealership to not look at my car despite the fact that the HQ asked them to. The third dealership is blatantly lying about the problem. You saw that for yourself in the service record that I attached. When these kinds of things happen, I am forced to look for legal options. Not that I want to pursue legal methods but that's what these people have pushed me to do.

You think one of these dealerships is really going to tell me what the problem really is. I doubt that. It has nothing to do with my nature but rather with their ego now. One dealership has concealed an issue (or have screwed something up at the time of repair) and the other dealers are covering it up.

Like I have previously stated, the problem is not with my alignment anymore but something more internal (steering suspension). Like SKPerformance states, it could be something else. How else do you explain the fact that the car was okay after the first alignment only for it go for a toss after 2 weeks. Fixed again, gone again after 2 more weeks. The car pulls to the right when I brake and decelerate (regardless of the crown!).

I've seen threads on this forum where dealers have hit another car and almost got away with it. How about the scratches on your car during a car wash? The fact is that dealers do make mistakes and my opinion is that they did something internal and hoped to get away with it. Only they are meeting with some stiff resistance in me. Does that make me the bad guy simply because I put up against a dealership and eventually an organization?

Like you said, I would love to write good things. Believe me when I say this, I personally go and speak to the store manager when someone goes out of their way to help me. I write a number of positive reviews and those heavily outweigh the negative reviews I write.

All I want is my money back given my bad experiences. Why am I afraid to exchange the car? Do I believe that its going to be bad too? Maybe at the corner of my heart. The bigger problem is that I do not have a dealership to get my car for even scheduled maintenance anymore. Thats why I want my money back. Is that too much to ask? I earn my money after a hard days' work. I do not cheat anyone nor do I step on anyone's foot to move up in my company. So whats wrong with expecting a manufacturer to exhibit the same ethics?

Before you can "get your money back" you need someone other than you that says its doing what you say its doing.

At this point you haven't even dealt with the manufacturer...you've dealt with the dealer. You need to get a dealer to escalate it up the chain and have a regional rep come drive the car.

Here's my question...what do you want us to do about it? We've offered you suggestions and you've been unwilling to take them. What do you want us to do?

For what its worth, I had my Prius in to my independent mechanic last week and I just put the service record into my file and I noticed the mileage in was 40,606. Mileage out? 40,606. He DID test drive the car, I saw him drive off in it and drive back 10 minutes later. I think the reason it reads that way is that they don't write up the ticket until they're about to return the car to you and they only check the mileage once.

So...the dealer may have very well test driven the car even though the ticket wouldn't make you think they had...

As far as making assumptions about you, the way you've ranted and raved here and me and others for suggesting the issue might be simple could only lead me to believe you've been the same way with the dealer and I've offered you advice about that. If that is not the case and you've been respectful with the dealer I apologize. Try and be respectful with us too please.

It is a kind of give and take and asking SW to not judge your personality by this thread is impossible as it is all we know.

If something is not right find someone else who is not Lexus to find it.

BTW how many people do you carry around a , i am looking for weights as it changes the geometry , so your weight and passengers as well as cargo.

If something is not right find someone else who is not Lexus to find it.

Absolutely, this is what I and others have suggested you do from day one...

SKPerformance and SW03ES,

I first would like to clarify a few things:

1. I have gone to 3 dealers. The first screwed up my car, the second refused to make amends and the third lied about the fix. I do not think that the mileage was a mistake. It was all orchestrated. How else would you explain a General Service Manager being the only person speaking to me from the beginning (after I dropped off the car). They also state that they reset my transmission flash but its only become worse after that.

2. Had a regional rep test drive my car. He agreed that there was a problem and then backtracked on paper. I have a signed copy of the service order that states that I disagree with the problem and its resolution.

Lexus HQ asked me to take a second opinion for a second dealer (and said they would speak to the dealer which they did per their statement). The second dealer refused service. So the manufacturer has been directly involved.

3. Here is a link to a video that I recorded:

As you will see the car drifts... and drifts big time!

4. As for your question regarding load: Its either me or my wife and I. I do not take my 4-month old in this car. Too scared to do so. Nothing in the trunk.

5. If I took my car to a non-lexus shop to check what the problem is, that would void my warranty. Why do I care? Its because I do not want Lexus to make a case that the car has been altered.

BTW, on the day I went to the second dealer, I barely got 4 hours of sleep (see why below!). I went in at the time of the appointment and was asked to leave. The regional rep called the General Service Manager for "status" while I was still in the room! This is what I have been subject to. Should I not have reason to be upset about this whole thing?

What do I want you all to do? I would be grateful if you could support me in my cause. My cause for doing the right thing. For Lexus to own up to their issues. Could each of you that see this thread write an email to the customer satisfaction (I have a direct email) telling him that what they are doing is very unprofessional?

Apart from this vehicle, I also have a RAV4 and have no complaints. Both my wife and I have respectable jobs and by god's grace are doing well and have no other hidden agenda to return this car. I had a newborn in July and she takes a serious amount of time from me. Despite this, I find the time to fight this issue. Please HELP! That's all I ask for.

So, any word from the lawyer? Ranting on us after the people on here have given all their cents to you isn't going to get you anything. Steve tend to get pent up on people when they whine or beat a dead horse relentlessly. And it seems like you're doing both at this point. It's a shame what you're experiencing and the dealers' inabilities to find it but take the 'advice' you hopefully came here for and run with it. Since no one stills seems to know what the problem is cause it's still not fixed, perhaps you should get a better idea before pointing fingers.

The dealerships are a business just like any other: out to make a profit. I would personally get it fixed by someone else and see if the problem persists. And then go lemon law happy if the problem does persist.

w00t. 2 games away from Philadelphia finally winning something in my conscious lifetime... too young to remember that '83 win...

1. I have gone to 3 dealers. The first screwed up my car, the second refused to make amends and the third lied about the fix. I do not think that the mileage was a mistake. It was all orchestrated. How else would you explain a General Service Manager being the only person speaking to me from the beginning (after I dropped off the car). They also state that they reset my transmission flash but its only become worse after that.

These people aren't out to screw you. They "orchestrated the whole thing"? Come on. The general manager routinely deals with customers they flag in the database as being "difficult".

As for the tranny flash, once the tranny is flashed it cannot be reset.

2. Had a regional rep test drive my car. He agreed that there was a problem and then backtracked on paper. I have a signed copy of the service order that states that I disagree with the problem and its resolution.

Lexus HQ asked me to take a second opinion for a second dealer (and said they would speak to the dealer which they did per their statement). The second dealer refused service. So the manufacturer has been directly involved.

What reason did they give you for denying you service?

I watched your video. Honestly...I don't really see the issue. Yeah the car drifts, but each time it drifts, including when you brake, its very clearly in the direction of road crowning that is evident in the video. The steering wheel is off center when tracking straight, but thats very easily adjusted and almost every alignment I have done I have to take back because they've forgotten to adjust it to straight.

Maybe it just doesn't come across in the video, but when you turn loose of the steering wheel on a road with a crown...the car is going to drift away from the crown.

5. If I took my car to a non-lexus shop to check what the problem is, that would void my warranty. Why do I care? Its because I do not want Lexus to make a case that the car has been altered.

This is not true. You can have your vehicle serviced anywhere and Lexus MUST honor the warranty. Its the law.

What do I want you all to do? I would be grateful if you could support me in my cause. My cause for doing the right thing. For Lexus to own up to their issues. Could each of you that see this thread write an email to the customer satisfaction (I have a direct email) telling him that what they are doing is very unprofessional?

No, not having any direct experience with the car I cannot write an email supporting you when I don't have any direct experience with your issue.

Apart from this vehicle, I also have a RAV4 and have no complaints. Both my wife and I have respectable jobs and by god's grace are doing well and have no other hidden agenda to return this car. I had a newborn in July and she takes a serious amount of time from me. Despite this, I find the time to fight this issue. Please HELP! That's all I ask for.

You're making the issue hard on yourself...take the car to an independent Lexus shop and have them go over the front end with a fine tooth comb and see if they can find an issue. If they can then in the very least you can have it repaired and send Lexus the bill.

If you aren't interested in doing what we suggest...then there isn't anything else we can do for you.

I really have to ask why are you wasting your time with us then if you know what to do and we have no clue?

All you are doing is repeating yourself over and over. If this is the tactic used at the dealer , no wonder no one is taking you or your issues seriously.

Fix the car , sell the car or throw rocks at it but spinning your wheels here is not helping you fix it.

Good luck and i hope you get it fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

These people aren't out to screw you. They "orchestrated the whole thing"? Come on. The general manager routinely deals with customers they flag in the database as being "difficult".

DIFFICULT! PERCEPTIONS AGAIN. BTW, THAT WAS THE FIRST AND ONLY TIME I WENT TO THE DEALERSHIP.

As for the tranny flash, once the tranny is flashed it cannot be reset. OK. I AM JUST STATING WHAT THE DEALERSHIP TOLD ME THEY DID. THEY ALSO SAID THEY TEST DROVE MY CAR WHICH I KNOW THEY DID NOT. I HAD 4 INSTANCES OF FLARE ON THE SAME DAY I TOOK THE CAR BACK AND THE NEXT DAY. THE NUMBER OF INSTANCES PER DAY HAS REDUCED SINCE BUT STILL KEEPS HAPPENING BEFORE THE CAR HITS A STEADY TEMPERATURE.

What reason did they give you for denying you service? YOU SHOULD GO BACK AND READ MY FIRST POST. IT SEEMS TO ME THAT YOU HAVE NOT READ MY ORIGINAL POST. ITS SURPRISING THAT YOU MAKE STATEMENTS THE WAY YOU DO ABOUT THE PROBLEM AND WORSE ABOUT ME. IN A NUTSHELL, THEY CLAIM THAT THE CAR IS FIXED WHICH IS A BLATANT LIE.

I watched your video. Honestly...I don't really see the issue. Yeah the car drifts, but each time it drifts, including when you brake, its very clearly in the direction of road crowning that is evident in the video. The steering wheel is off center when tracking straight, but thats very easily adjusted and almost every alignment I have done I have to take back because they've forgotten to adjust it to straight.

Maybe it just doesn't come across in the video, but when you turn loose of the steering wheel on a road with a crown...the car is going to drift away from the crown.

WRONG! I CAN GO OVER A PHYSICS 101 CLASS HERE AND THAT IS NOT TRUE. IF IT WERE, THEN MY OTHER SUV (RAV4) SHOULD HAVE DONE THAT. SO WOULD MY PASSAT AND MY SENTRA (REMEMBER WHEN YOU ARE DECELERATING, ITS ONLY A FACTOR OF THE CURRENT SPEED, NOT HOW MANY HORSES YOUR CAR CAN PUT OUT. SAME STORY FOR BRAKING). IT IS TRUE THAT ANY VEHICLE WILL CHOOSE TO PULL IN THE DIRECTION OF THE CROWN. HOWEVER, ONCE YOU COMPENSATE FOR IT, IT HOLDS ITS LINE. THIS VERY CAR USED TO BEHAVE THAT WAY. I CAN GO ON AND ON BUT CAN YOU WAKE UP SOMEONE THAT PRETENDS TO BE ASLEEP. SKPERFORMANCE, BTW, I NEVER SAID ONCE IN THIS FORUM THAT THE SUGGESTIONS GIVEN BY YOU WERE USELESS. NOR DID I SAY I KNOW EVERYTHING AND YOU GUYS KNOW NOTHING. ALL I HAVE DONE IS DISAGREE WITH SW03ES ON THE BASIS OF ETHICS. HE'S ASKED ME TO GO AND GET MY CAR FIXED ELSEWHERE (PAY OUT OF MY POCKET) AND I REFUSE PURELY ON THE BASIS OF PRINCIPLE. ALL I SAY IS THAT I HAVE DONE A LOT OF RESEARCH ON WHAT I SAY HERE AND AM NOT CORRUPTING FACTS.

This is not true. You can have your vehicle serviced anywhere and Lexus MUST honor the warranty. Its the law.

I AGREE, IT IS THE LAW. HOWEVER, YOU DO HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE HASSLE OF PAYING UPFRONT AND FIGHTING OVER IT WITH LEXUS ALL OVER AGAIN. MOREOVER, THEY CAN CLAIM THAT THE CAR HAS BEEN MODIFIED ETC.

No, not having any direct experience with the car I cannot write an email supporting you when I don't have any direct experience with your issue.

You're making the issue hard on yourself...take the car to an independent Lexus shop and have them go over the front end with a fine tooth comb and see if they can find an issue. If they can then in the very least you can have it repaired and send Lexus the bill.

If you aren't interested in doing what we suggest...then there isn't anything else we can do for you.

ITS NOT THAT I AM NOT INTERESTED. IF YOU ASK ME TO GO TO AN INDEPENDENT MECHANIC THAT KNOWS A LEXUS VERY WELL, I FIRST GOT TO FIND ONE. I AM SURE NTB OR A MIDAS OR A PEP BOYS IS NOT ONE OF THEM. ITS EASIER SAID THAN DONE. I AM NOT AT WAR WITH LEXUS OR TOYOTA. ALL I AM ASKING FOR IS SOME JUSTICE FOR WHAT I HAVE BEEN PUT THROUGH.