Need Serious Help

spenav

I changed all six spark plugs and cleaned the IACV yesterday and the car won't start ever since. The engine turns but dies off right away. I used NKG Iridium plugs.

Could gapping them cause the problem?

How do I troubleshoot short of redoing the whole painful process all over again?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If you double checked to ensure all the plugs were done right, then it's probably not them (it's hard to screw up replacing plugs, even if they aren't gapped exactly correctly). My guess is you have a vacuum line in the wrong place or not replaced on your intake system after cleaning your IACV. One incorrect or disconnected vaccum line can be enough to keep the engine from being able to start and idle. That's the first place I would look if I were you.

If you double checked to ensure all the plugs were done right, then it's probably not them (it's hard to screw up replacing plugs, even if they aren't gapped exactly correctly). My guess is you have a vacuum line in the wrong place or not replaced on your intake system after cleaning your IACV. One incorrect or disconnected vaccum line can be enough to keep the engine from being able to start and idle. That's the first place I would look if I were you.

Thanks. I am going to start there.

FWIW, Iridium plugs should not be gapped as you can ruin the coating on the electrode. I would check the vacuum lines and the electronic plugs on the throttle body & IACV if there is one. If you got cleaner on the chips on the TB you could have damaged the electronics. But first check those connections to be certain they are connected correctly.

FWIW, Iridium plugs should not be gapped as you can ruin the coating on the electrode. I would check the vacuum lines and the electronic plugs on the throttle body & IACV if there is one. If you got cleaner on the chips on the TB you could have damaged the electronics. But first check those connections to be certain they are connected correctly.

I had apply throttle body cleaner liberally on the throttle but I did not open the black cap where the connector is. How do I check that the electronics have not been damaged? Would I need to replace the spark plug since I gap them? Thanks for the help.

I had apply throttle body cleaner liberally on the throttle but I did not open the black cap where the connector is. How do I check that the electronics have not been damaged? Would I need to replace the spark plug since I gap them? Thanks for the help.

KBRX330

I have attached the picture of the part I cleaned. Are you referring to that plug on top when you say electronics or the black piece that attaches up front? Thanks.

post-73709-1218220947_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

KBRX330

I have attached the picture of the part I cleaned. Are you referring to that plug on top when you say electronics or the black piece that attaches up front? Thanks.

have u resolved the problem ?

if so what was the problem or what did u do wrong in cleaning ? this info would be helpful, do's and don'ts, for folks trying to clean the IACV.

KBRX330

spenav- How did you clean the IACV? Did you remove it from the throttle body? Some people clean it without removing it from the throttle body but I'm not comfortable with that. You can't get in to where the dirt or carbon form. Let us know that and if the cylindrical valve moves freely and we'll try to help you from there.

If you still have not determined the problem, there is a vacuum line that connects at the back of the air cleaner--under the wiring harness that if not connected WILL cause the symptoms you described.

It's location makes it easy to overlook when putting the car back together. I'm speaking from firsthand experience here... had the same thing happen to me.

When you solve the problem, be sure to post what it was.

Good luck.

Nick/Las Vegas