My 96ls Is Overheating! Help

venmichaels

Sound like thats the problem right there. That fan has to come on when the A/C is on, it takes a little while for it to turn on after you start the A/C but it should be running when A/C is on. Check the fan before replacing it, feed 12v to the connectors and see if it spins. If it does then it's the relay.

I didn't know if that model car had a auxiliary fan, if not I would have told to go there first. Sorry

But it still doesnt solve my overheating problem..

That fan just went out TODAY for some reason..

Now the car overheats when in motion AND when idle.

It overheats with the a/c on and off..

It overheats really fast too now.. I can only drive about 10 mins before the needle hits the red part..

WHAT GIVES????

I use to be able to drive the car fine, now it just overheats all the time!

It overheats really fast too now.. I can only drive about 10 mins before the needle hits the red part..

WHAT GIVES????

Ven:

My auxiliary fan has only ever come on once that I can remember, but I live in the greater Seattle area, not exactly the Sahara desert. Where do you live, what is the temperature?

As JE said, temporarily jump the auxiliary fan to make sure it works. However, I don't think it has to be on to keep your temperature normal, except under unusual circumstances. Can anyone somehow confirm that the waterpump is actually pumping water?

Also, there are some threads in regard to "burping" the cooling system. There is a coolant crossover hose on the top, rear portion of the engine that apparently is notorious for retaining air. It's my understanding that if there is an air bubble in that hose, you can have all kinds of problems with overheating. Maybe someone who knows a little more can chime in.........

WHAT GIVES????

Are you saying you have no fans working?

Okay, as it turns out, the auxilary fan is working properly..

Im back to square one though.

1. changed thermostat.

2. changed radiator cap.

3. changed clutch fan.

STILL overheating, ( overheating faster than it was)

My problem seems to have gotten worse.

Could the car be over heating because there isnt an even mixture between water and coolant?

My grandfather thinks that there is too much coolant and not enough water..

1. changed thermostat.

2. changed radiator cap.

3. changed clutch fan.

Could the car be over heating because there isnt an even mixture between water and coolant?

You can easily check the mixture with a guage. But it sounds like your water pump is gone. That's the first thing I would check because as far as I know you have an interference engine. I wouldn't drive it anymore until you have it checked out. If the pump has seized, then the timing belt will go shortly after. If that happens - the valves and pistons will have a rude introduction to each other and you'll likely be looking for a new car. If the pump/belt/pulley etc check out, I would test your replacements to make sure they're working properly. Then I would check that the rad isn't clogged. Make sure you have coolant flow.

I bought a lemon. MY 96 Ls400 is overheating when idle.

When Im driving its fine, but when the car is idle for more than 5 mins with the a/c on the temperature starts rising really fast and the car overheats!!

Can anyone give me some advice??

What could it be??

well my 93 ls 400 is also overheating,i've replaced the water pump timing belt,themostat,flush the raidiator help don't know what else to do :(

I bought a lemon. MY 96 Ls400 is overheating when idle.

When Im driving its fine, but when the car is idle for more than 5 mins with the a/c on the temperature starts rising really fast and the car overheats!!

Can anyone give me some advice??

What could it be??

well my 93 ls 400 is also overheating,i've replaced the water pump timing belt,themostat,flush the raidiator help don't know what else to do :(

Have you checked your coolant flow? Have you tested the new stat?

I have no idea about this, but considering how many things that can trigger the check engine light, I'm suprised a failed water pump wouldn't? I mean, if a brake light bulb burns out, it trips a light. I'm suprised a part so crucial to the car's operation such as the water pump wouldn't be wired into that same warning system somehow. Maybe it's not? I'm not sure, I don't think I've ever seen an error code posted on here pointing to it.

I can't recall, did you say the timing belt was replaced at a lexus dealership, or an indi? If it was done at a lexus dealership, maintenance records should show it within their computer system. All you need is the VIN number of the car, a kind approach, and most service technicians at the dealership will kindly run the vin through their system and give you the printed out history of all services done on the car via the lexus network...

Edit: It's late, I've been on diaper duty all day, sorry, I now see a couple posts up that you said it was changed by the "dealer". Was that a Lexus dealer though?

I quickly learned with mine that when I had the 90k service done "which is the timing belt and water pump", I had to specifically specify that both be replaced. Otherwise, I think they were just going to do the fluids, belt, and inspect the pump.

Timing belt was changed by the dealer at 116k miles.

Car has 140k.

What about the pump/tensioners/pulleys?

Is there a reliable way to test if the water pump is dying on me??

I'd really hate to replace this part if the problems is somewhere else.

Also, is this part expensive?

Are there any special website where i can order quality lexus parts for a good price??

Thanks

1. changed thermostat.

2. changed radiator cap.

3. changed clutch fan.

You can easily check the mixture with a guage. But it sounds like your water pump is gone. That's the first thing I would check because as far as I know you have an interference engine. I wouldn't drive it anymore until you have it checked out. If the pump has seized, then the timing belt will go shortly after. If that happens - the valves and pistons will have a rude introduction to each other and you'll likely be looking for a new car. If the pump/belt/pulley etc check out, I would test your replacements to make sure they're working properly. Then I would check that the rad isn't clogged. Make sure you have coolant flow.

This is probably a dumb question, but how do i check the coolant flow?

Also, Adding water seems to have helped my overheating problem a bit.............

How many fans should I have in front of my radiator?? (I have only one)

My friend has a 95 Ls400, and he has TWO fans in front of the radiator...

Did Lexus manufacture the 95ls400 and the 96 model differently???

Im confused??

Could i be missing a fan??

The board's been a bit slow lately. The pump should have been changed when they did the belt.

Double check the history to see if it was. I would do a pressure flush on the cooling system, refill with proper coolant, and have them check pressure.

Toyota can do it cheaper probably.

Let us know what they found.

Hi folks,

I have a 95 LS and had the same problem. Bought a new radiator. As I was changing the radiator out, I found a whole lot of dust and dirt stuck in front of the radiator clogging the air flow. The condensor is in front of the radiator, so it is not visible unless taken apart. I wasted money on a new radiator because the old one could have been simply cleaned off and re-used. I changed it out anyway though. Now everything works fine. Water pumps rarely fail internally. They usually leak when their seals go bad so you can tell. Let us know what happens.

Yo

The condensor is in front of the radiator, so it is not visible unless taken apart. I wasted money on a new radiator because the old one could have been simply cleaned off and re-used.

Is there any way to clean it without disassembly? I know I've got bug guts and stuff in there. Could it be pressure washed from behind?