Exhaust Fumes In Car

SmoothRide

When I start up my car, i get distinct fumes smell in the cabin, im not sure exactly what the smell could be(most likely exhaust). The smell is much stronger when I am not moving I.E. maybe there is crack in exhaust system and fumes flaoting up in through heating vents? I'm no expert though and can only speculate. Has anyone had this happen to them, or have an idea what the scent coudl be/why it is coming into the car? the scent is only obvious during the first few miles I drive, and is much stronger smelling when I start the car up for the first that day, and generally gets better throughout the days drive.

thanks guys- Miles

could be you have a leaky valve cover gasket and thats letting in the fumes thru your vents in the car.try putting on the recycler on the ac controls and that should stop any smell from outside the car but i would still get the car checked out for valve cover gaskets because they are the most likley couse of smell coming into the car.

i get a smell exactly how you are describing. I think its either a oil leak that somehow is burning the oil (which creates white smoke sometimes when i'm stopped or driving slow) or perhaps a cracked head or gasket.

Does the smell begin immediately after starting the car or does it take awhile to develop after driving.

I was told that i have a bad valve cover gasket (valve pan gasket) whatever they called it. Anyway i get the same smell that you are talking about. If i am moving it seems to go away, but if i stop at a red light or something the smell comes back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sulfur smell - Lexus dealers are aware of this problem and Lexus

has decided to ignore the complains since there is no fix. They blame the smell on the sulfur content in the fuel. I had Acura's since 1988

and never encountered such a disgusting rotten egg smell in none

of the 3 Acura's I owned. The problem is in the way Lexus/Toyota engines

handle the emissions. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA

(ODI # 10056995)

in regard to this awful smell which is sucked into the car by the A/C

This happens specially when you stop the car after brisk acceleration

and them the A/C brings all those fumes into the car.

So, everyone with this problem place a complain to the NHTSA !!!

2002 ES and up have a filter cartridge behind the glove box. It is covered in your manual. This filter seems to get stagnent over time, but the smell is of dirty socks or old potatoe chips. These filters barely make it though the year. They are easily replaceable and go for about $30 from several mail order lexus parts wholesalers. Pre-02 ES's have the filters but they are much harder to locate and exchange out. Do a search, as this particular filter topic has been covered extensively.

Sulfur smells are definately coming from the exhaust fumes. I don't know if the cabin filter will remove that type of odor completely. Try varying your vendor of gas. Find the brand that produces the least amount of sulfur fumes if possible.

steviej

• 3 months later...
Sulfur smell - Lexus dealers are aware of this problem and Lexus

has decided to ignore the complains since there is no fix. They blame the smell on the sulfur content in the fuel. I had Acura's since 1988

and never encountered such a disgusting rotten egg smell in none

of the 3 Acura's I owned. The problem is in the way Lexus/Toyota engines

handle the emissions. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA

(ODI # 10056995)

in regard to this awful smell which is sucked into the car by the A/C

This happens specially when you stop the car after brisk acceleration

and them the A/C brings all those fumes into the car.

So, everyone with this problem place a complain to the NHTSA !!!

i too am experiencing the horrendous smell. my kids will not even get in the car anymore.. please advise. do not suggest different gas. i have already exhausted that and it does not help at all. i have been to two authorized lexus service station only to be told that the car is fine. please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other than different gas there is nothing that can be done, the cars are sensitive to the sulfer content of the gas.

Switching gas brands worked like a charm for me. Exxon has one of the highest sulfer contents out there. I switched to BP because I saw an advertisement for their "low sulfer gas" so I tried it and it worked great. Sunoco advertises the same and no sulfer smell, Shell has a little but not nearly as bad as Exxon/Mobil.

Its a nasty smell but in my experience switching the gas brand helps a lot.