Sunglass Holder Won't Close Properly.

Rickster1

I searched but no joy.

My '01 LS 430 has a sun glasses holder where the home link and (if it had it, the Lexis Link) is. It is accessed by a small rectangular button that no longer returns to it original position without pulling it down, and then does not always stay in the closed position. I mentioned it to the dealer when he was servicing the car yesterday and after trying to clean it, with no success, he said the only option was to replace the entire head piece that includes the home link, lights and sun glass holder as a unit for $900+. Yikes. Any suggestions?

TIA

I suppose that it is possible that the overhead control unit was thoroughly redesigned on the 01 LS430 but on my 00 LS400, the Homelink module, and the sunroof tilt and open/close switches can be reused when replacing the overhead control unit.

I wouldn't know this if the passenger side map light had not recently failed on my 00 LS400. I'm having the overhead control unit replaced next Wednesday at my favorite indie repair shop at a cost of $161 (parts and labor). The overhead control unit itself, without the above mentioned switches, is $132 -- both the repair shop service writer and I were surprised at the low cost. Except for the sunglass holder, which the 00 LS400 doesn't have, the overhead control unit on your 01 LS430 looks very similar to the one on my 00 LS400.

If your car had Lexus Link and a dealer installed Lexus phone, their microphones would also be in the overhead control unit -- behind the little slots on either side of the Homelink buttons.

You might try asking Sewell Lexus for a price quote on the part and ask how much of the electrical components from the old unit can be reused on a new one.

Before you go further, consider removing the overhead control unit yourself and taking a look to see if you can find the problem with the sunglass door. If it's like the one on my 00 LS400, the unit is removed by popping off the light lens and removing four screws. Since yours has the sunglass holder, you might see additional screws when you flip down the sunglass holder. It should be possible to unplug the connectors from the module so you can take it to your workbench and play with it.

Maybe an LS430 owner on this forum can help? Guys?

Good luck!

Jim, thanks for the information and suggestions. I will see if I can get the control unit out (I am more used to working on motorcycles than luxury autos) and see if it is in fact repairable. I can't imagine (ok, I can) that a simple little piece cannot be replaced or fixed without replacing the whole unit.

Thanks again.

Rick

I found out yesterday when it was installed on my 2000 LS400 that the new $132 overhead control unit included all the switches except the HomeLink module which was easily transfered from the old unit to the new. A new light lens was also included. I didn't expect the two sunroof switches to be included but they were.

I never thought I would think a Lexus part was cheap!

I found out yesterday when it was installed on my 2000 LS400 that the new $132 overhead control unit included all the switches except the HomeLink module which was easily transfered from the old unit to the new. A new light lens was also included. I didn't expect the two sunroof switches to be included but they were.

Jim, thanks for the advice on how to remove the unit. I took it apart and found a crack in the plunger that latched the sunglass holder. A bit of super glue, sanding and buffing and it works like new. Saved $900+ and took less than an hour.

Is it easy enough to remove the overhead control unit? I am having my LS430 delivered tomorrow and I noticed that problem when I inspected the car.

Jim, thanks for the advice on how to remove the unit. I took it apart and found a crack in the plunger that latched the sunglass holder. A bit of super glue, sanding and buffing and it works like new. Saved $900+ and took less than an hour.

The unit on my '01 is held in with 4 screws. 2 under tabs on the interior of the sunglass holder and 2 under the lens for the map/interior lights. Just carefully remove the lens to the light, patience is the key (and not my specialty). The unit will pop out and then just remove the connector. The latch for the sunglass holder is held in with two small screws. The problem with mine was the plunger for the latch had a small crack in it from where the roll pin goes through to the rear of the plunger. I think it probably came that way from the factory. I glued the crack and sanded and buffed the plunger. I also ran a drill bit, by hand, through the hole a couple of times so the roll pin would not put so much pressure on the plunger. Reassembled and now no problem.

Good luck.

Is it easy enough to remove the overhead control unit? I am having my LS430 delivered tomorrow and I noticed that problem when I inspected the car.