Wax On Black Plactic

Need some help. I polished and waxed my Ford truck and thought I had masked off the door handles and bumper step pad correctly. Found out that some wax had got on the black parts. It doesn't want to come off. I tried paint thinner and a weak solution of TSP then used 303 protectant to bring back the color. Before I do the same to the Wifes RX 330, what will take off the wax without destroying the plastic? HELP!

If wax on the black plastic is a major concern for you then try TurtleWax ICE wax. It actually make the black plastic look better.

Others on this forum will denigrate ICE wax for various reasons but it will work for your purposes. In addition, it goes on and polishes easily so waxing more often is not so much of an issue - especially in California.

I have Black ES 350 and molding all around wheel wells front,back bumpers and sides. So I posted simialar message and DDOC gave me the following advice to remove wax:

Horsehair detail brushes- for fine crack cleaning:

I use the ones from Autopia and they work fine: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/mbm-br-296.html and http://www.autopia-carcare.com/mbm-296.html

I like to spray some QD directly on the area to be cleaned to make it easier to remove the wax or polish residue and decrease the chances of marring the paint.

I used the 2nd link and spray QD on all my wax reside areas and easily removed.

no more issues.

g'luck!

Need some help. I polished and waxed my Ford truck and thought I had masked off the door handles and bumper step pad correctly. Found out that some wax had got on the black parts. It doesn't want to come off. I tried paint thinner and a weak solution of TSP then used 303 protectant to bring back the color. Before I do the same to the Wifes RX 330, what will take off the wax without destroying the plastic? HELP!

You can try this: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/usc-3410.html

You can try this: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/usc-3410.html

I ordered the wax remover. In the future I'll mask more carefully and use a brush to clean off before it dries. Thanks for the suggestions.

My sister drives a Pacifica and had ICE put on the paint and trim when it first came out. The trim area under the windshield looks awful now. Looks like it is covered in wax. I'm not a turtle wax hater, but ICE (the wax anyway) isn't something I'd reccomend to anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7 Show Car Glaze on my Accord's trim. I discovered it several years ago when I accidently rubbed some on my trim. I was shocked when it turned my dull flat black looking trim in a vibrant new shiny surface. Of course, try it on the most inconspicuous small area you could find first.