Sc Or Es?

Mi-foodie

Those 2 cars are totally different.

One is a sports coupe and the other want is a reliable and comfortable limousine :)

First you need to decide what your requirements are and prioritize them.

e.g.

- Space

- performance/speed

- handling

- comfort

- reliability

- warranty

If you need the space, but also want handling and speed, youcan also consider the GS300/400 or the IS300.

I agree with JDM. If you're thinking about a family, the IS, ES, and GS are excellent choices. I'd lean towards the IS. Cheaper, high quality, sports sedan that you can get as a stationwagon.

I think you should drive all models, then choose.

ok here is the pros and cons..and some alternatives you'll want to look at

SC430

PROS

quick as lighting

lets you forget its a car

best sound system on the market

excelent fuel econ

fairly good looks

CONS

one round of tires will cost an avg of $1600!

you need two sets of tires one for summer one for winter..there is not way around this unless it's only a summer driver.

the tires only last 15000 miles if you are lucky...the avg i see is about 10,000

the tires chop severely about halfway through there life..making a very loud groan while going down the road.

EVERYTHING on this car is expensive to fix

this is the highest maint' car lexus has ever made

on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 high)

sportyness 9.9

comfort 6.0

reliability 9.9

maint' (both amount of and overall cost) 2.0

fun factor 10.0 (but remember you pay to play)

ES330

PROS

a vast improvement over the older models

very very quiet

bigger engine than older models with little additional weight

new 5 spd trans

inexpensive to maint' overall

CONS

slow and clumsy when sporty drive is desired

doesn't have the best ride it could due to an obselete style of suspension (though very well done)

new 5 spd trans shifts extremely slow and tends to jerk (there is a software update for this but we still get complaints)

it's slow overall (my personal opinion)

1 to 10 scale

sportyness 3.0

comfort 8.7

reliability 9.9

maint' 10.0

fun factor 2.0

Other vehicles you may want to check out.

IS300 this vehicle as previously mentioned can be turbocharged to get increased performance...however it is rather cramped inside the vehicle for anyone around or over 6' tall (however i'm 6'4" and i fit in the car).

GS430 this car must be special ordered in most cases but is extremely driver friendly and has a ton of room...it is very sporty especially for a sedan and has enough room in the engine compartment for upgrades if you wish to do so...however it doesn't "need" any to put you to the back of your seat.

GS300 the more common "little brother" to the GS430...it uses the same engine and trans as the IS300 but also weighs more taking away from the sportyness and acceleration of the vehicle...but it can also be turbocharged.

LS430 this car has been nearly perfected this year...with a starting price under that of the SC430 i would strongly recomend taking a look at this car...total luxury...you just have to pay for the little extras.

as far as the SC400 you listed i wouldn't get that vehicle...i would definately be looking at a late ninety's..you can pick up an excelent 98 SC400 for about 14,000-16,000 depending on options and that is a very nice car for that money.

However if you decide to go new i would personally go with the GS430 it is in my opinoin the most well rounded car lexus makes....i honestly think they made it special order just so the LS430 would sell better.

Hey i wish you good luck with your search and i really hope this posting helps you decide...if you have any questions about anything here please PM me,

Tyler

Mi-foodie

If you're dealing with the Lexus Dealers, don't forget to check out the Dealer Review System. If the dealership you're dealing with has a negative comment(s), it may sway you in a cars' direction.

Good luck

Where can you get a 1998 SC400 for 16K. Not in the Pacific Northwest. I bought a 1998 SC300 in Texas for 16.5K plus $800 shipping with 60k on it. I did not like the color so I bought a 1997 SC400 70K one owner. Dealer serviced for 19K delivered. There are none available in Seattle. I found one 1997 here for 16.5K but Carfax showed it to be an insurance total. Anyhow the SC300 drove way better than the SC400. It was smoother and quieter. The SC400 is affected by road grooves but goes like hell. Plus I like the pearl white.

Unless the owner is dead in the head, the car is salvage or a total wreck, no 98 sc400 is going for 16K anywhere, unless of course the car has a "story."

EBAY search will give you a good idea of the lowest price that this car might sell for but check carefully as many data on searches are for incomplete auctions and/or the car has a story.

I know of a 1995 Red SC400 in EXCELLENT condition for sale in the New York area. Contact myself or Lex Luthor for details. It is his car and it is immaculate. He is asking the high side of 13g's. Definitely a great car for great price.

I'm fairly new to the board, and just picked up my 93 SC400, and love it!!! It reminds me of the days when I used to drive around my dad's old vette. V8 power, but with solid build. My parents drive a GS300, and that is another great car, good power, solid build, and great reliability. I've also had a chance to drive an ES and RX, and both were great cars as well. I think no matter what you choose you can't go wrong. It all just depends on what you want out of it, and how much you want to spend.

I wanted something nice and luxurious that could hold its own, and something that I could build on later that would still look good as it ages. SC 400!!!! Other than the few things I've had to fix and replace, the car is the best ones I've owned.

when i first bought my car lexus sewell held my car for a few things to fix, and they gave me a 04 es330 (trying to make me buy tha thing). holy crap is that car fun. off the line it blows the big one, it has terrible lag before the car even takes off thats my only complaint about it. but on the highway i would rape everything that tried to play. unbelievable handeling, first car that i have ever seen to come stock with a sway bar. good car, its a get up and go once you hit 2nd gear. very comfy ride

However if you decide to go new i would personally go with the GS430 it is in my opinoin the most well rounded car lexus makes....i honestly think they made it special order just so the LS430 would sell better.

Eh, I never could get happy behind the wheel of the GS. Louder and not as smooth as the LS or ES, uncomfortable seats. Its a great car I'm sure but not one I'd want to drive.

As for the LS, Lexus has never had any problems selling the LS. The GS430 is now mostly not stocked at dealers for one reason, they don't sell. There is extremely little demand for the GS430, not a lot more for the GS300. Its sales figures are way, way down. Makes sense since its the end of the design cycle and the new one comes out next year. The GS is afterall is 6 model years old with no real significant change. Its a beautiful car and it has worn very well, but with the new offerings by BMW with the new 5, Jaguar with the hopped up S Types, Mercedes with the new E Class, the GS is simply no longer competitive. I'm sure that will change next year though.

As for the choice in question, I'm a little confused as to why you're looking at brand new ES and a 92 SC? Why not look into as new an SC as you can get similar in price to what you'd pay for the ES?

IMHO They're extremely different cars and they're rarely cross shopped among buyers. It comes down to what you want, a rear drive V8 coupe or a front drive V6 sedan. A new car or a used car.

Thanks for the advise and my serach is over. Just got done driving the ES330, Gs430, LS430 and SC430. Best of the lot was the SC430 for pure grins. I ended up with the ES330 because of some family considerations with the lack of rear seat in the SC. The Gs was faster but overall not as satisfying to me -- it seemed that there was too much road noise, etc. I also drove an Acura TL which was fast but quite noisy and not nearly as refined as the Lexus.

Really happy with the ES and will look forward to every mile.

Thanks again all :P

Thanks for the advise and my serach is over. Just got done driving the ES330, Gs430, LS430 and SC430. Best of the lot was the SC430 for pure grins. I ended up with the ES330 because of some family considerations with the lack of rear seat in the SC. The Gs was faster but overall not as satisfying to me -- it seemed that there was too much road noise, etc. I also drove an Acura TL which was fast but quite noisy and not nearly as refined as the Lexus.

Really happy with the ES and will look forward to every mile.

Thanks again all :P

Good luck. Great car.