Fuel Filter....

jcrome04

Wow so I feel like an idiot now..... I must be drunk or something....

I found the fuel filter underneath my car a loooong time ago.

I ordered a new one recently (WIX #33570)

Right now I have the car up in the air and....... wow.... I can't find it ANYWHERE......

When I found it before it was in plain sight near a fender well. I can't remember if it was around the passenger or driver's side...

It's not in the same place as the lexls tutorial says since that DIY is for a 1st gen.....

So if someone can point me in the direction of my mystery fuel filter on my 2nd gen (97) I'd much appreciate it!!!!!!

:whistles: :whistles: :whistles: :whistles:

Thanks guys :cheers:

Passenger or driver side?

God I feel so dumb it was right in plain sight when I got underneath last time... and now... I couldn't find it to save my life!

Wow I found it..... wow wow wow! It's about time! It's really close to the center of the vehicle

just to the right of the differential.....duuuuuuuumb!

I got it all loose, but I can't contort myself properly to get her out of there.

I'm taking it to my buddy's shop that has a lift.

...oh and FYI, the local dealership wants $96 to just put it on! haha wow.

its a pretty messy procedure, i was all covered in gas, no matter what you do u gonna have it spilled, so wear protective gear when you change it.

I gave up on mine and had the indie do it for $50. I already had the filter. I have a 1990 LS400 and maybe it is different for later models but my model has metal fuel lies to the filter. This makes it harder to remove because 1) you can't pinch the lines to stop the flow of gas and 2) you have the tension of metal fittings to overcome as you undo the nuts. I just changed the FF on my MBZ C280 and the lines were rubber so changing it was a snap.

glenmore

1990 LS400

2000 C280

1991 300CE

I tend to agree with Python. Get your fuel from a top tier supplier, never fill up when a tanker is unloading, keep the gas fresh and you shouldn't need to replace the filter. If you do, beware of corroded and seized fittings.

I replaced the one on my 7 and did not notice a big difference but it was interested to do. Luckily it had rubber lines so I could use a pliers and keep it from leaking out. Putting the new one in was a bit tricky since it has those nipples lol.

i believe these filters from toyotas rarely if ever need changing

I have not heard this but I have heard that about the tranny filter. The tranny filter is a pretty solid unit. But I think changing a fuel filter is cheap insurance. You don't want fuel pump problems and OEM injectors are $150 a piece!

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Well I went with WIX since they are a quality product.

This thing was a #%*($ to change! Got it done for free at a buddies shop. I don't think he'll ever be changing another LS fuel filter ;) hahaha.

And I'm sure as hell never going to attempt to get another filter in there.

Car runs a lot smoother now. Just feels a lot smoother through the gas pedal.

Well I went with WIX since they are a quality product.

This thing was a #%*($ to change! Got it done for free at a buddies shop. I don't think he'll ever be changing another LS fuel filter ;) hahaha.

And I'm sure as hell never going to attempt to get another filter in there.

Car runs a lot smoother now. Just feels a lot smoother through the gas pedal.

It's probably too late now, but I forgot to suggest that you empty the filter into a glass jar from the "IN" connector (reverse flow) to see what was in there. The other thing to do, once it has dried out, slice it in half too see what was left behind if anything. The two or three times I've done that with my volvo, everything came out clean and made no difference in performance, although there was no problem with performance before the change. Are you sure it runs smoother now or could it be like my neigbour who swears his car runs better everytime he washes it? :D

I assume there's a filter change scheduled from every manufacturer, and I've done it on every car I owned previously. Emptied each one I changed. Never saw anything other than clean fuel come out of any of them. So, this time, I'll pass. But as I said. I'm carefull with what I put in the tank. Btw, did you get soaked or pinch anything? :lol:

Well I was very strategic about not getting soaked in gas! hahaha

And no nothing got pinched.

Maybe I'm just being a dork, but I swear it feels like it's running better... Don't think it had ever been changed before so maybe +148k miles on one fuel filter is pushing it ;) hahaha.

• 4 weeks later...

I called Lexus Customer Assistance and asked: when the Fuel filter was scheduled to be changed?-; they did say that there was not a specific mileage/time, this because they rarely go bad. If you would replace your filter with an OEM I would run it for 100k if you use any other non-OEM brand I would change it every 50,000. C.Cardona