92 Lexus Ls 400 Turnover Won't Start Any Help Is Appreciated

PhillyKorean

Hey I just got a gift from my uncle, a "nice" 1992 Lexus LS 400

haha imagine the gas mileage on that :-P

Well The problem with this fine thing, is that IT WON'T START.

I charged the batter up at autozone, and I brought it back and put in inside and tried to start it.

It turns on and everything else works when I get to the ACC: position on the ignition.

When I try to start, everything shuts off and then turns back on but the car doesn't start.

I hear the clicking sound of it trying to start, I have checked the fluid levels of the car and everything is up to date.

I thought the battery was bad, but it isn't.

I called my uncle and asked him what's going on since he use to drive the lexus and he likes working on cars as well.

He told me that the car should start up fine because he was driving it just a week ago.

I was thinking it may be the battery terminals on the battery cables of the lexus that might be bad because on the positive side part of the terminal clamp broke off towards the edge of it.

I am thinking it might be that since part of the positive side terminal broke off, the starter might not be getting as much amps it needs to start the massive engine.

So I am thinking about buying a new terminal for it, but I want to hear other's opinions before i go out and end up wasting money.

But I am not sure if that is what the problem is.

Could anyone help me or can relate to this problem.

All help is accepted

thanks.

more than likely that could b the problem. if its not making proper contact with the battery then it wont b able to pull enough power from it. make sure the terminals are really tight and if that doesnt work i would look into another battery or possibly a starter.

A friend of mine drives a black 1994 LS with 303,000 miles. He took it to a quick-lube type place for an oil change. When they were messing around in the engine bay, they managed to break off one of the battery terminal clamps. They also broke his air intake, $800.

The entire wire harness for the whole car had to be replaced at a cost of $2500, not including labor. That leads me to believe that the terminal clamps are not easily replaceable. I guess they are unique. After hearing that story I am much more careful with mine.

I guess you couldn't really hurt anything replacing it with one of the universal ones from an auto parts store, but I don't know if it would work.

How many miles on the car?

Also you should aask your uncle the last time the battery is replaced.

Define "Won't State" better.

Is it when you turn the key, it click, click, click, ... or just "click"?

So is the car just sitting because you cannot start or it sometiems starts? If it is just sitting, how long has it been just sitting?

Hey I just got a gift from my uncle, a "nice" 1992 Lexus LS 400

haha imagine the gas mileage on that :-P

Well The problem with this fine thing, is that IT WON'T START.

I charged the batter up at autozone, and I brought it back and put in inside and tried to start it.

It turns on and everything else works when I get to the ACC: position on the ignition.

When I try to start, everything shuts off and then turns back on but the car doesn't start.

I hear the clicking sound of it trying to start, I have checked the fluid levels of the car and everything is up to date.

I thought the battery was bad, but it isn't.

I called my uncle and asked him what's going on since he use to drive the lexus and he likes working on cars as well.

He told me that the car should start up fine because he was driving it just a week ago.

I was thinking it may be the battery terminals on the battery cables of the lexus that might be bad because on the positive side part of the terminal clamp broke off towards the edge of it.

I am thinking it might be that since part of the positive side terminal broke off, the starter might not be getting as much amps it needs to start the massive engine.

So I am thinking about buying a new terminal for it, but I want to hear other's opinions before i go out and end up wasting money.

But I am not sure if that is what the problem is.

Could anyone help me or can relate to this problem.

All help is accepted

thanks.

More than likely it is the terminal clamp. Start with small things first, and work up from there.

I would spend the $5 or $10 for an autozone clamp or two. In fact that's what I've been using for 2 years, without issue.

While you're in there, get some di-electric grease to put on the freshly cleaned terminals. Do both.Make sure all corrosion is gone and they are shiny. Clamp tightly but put NO stress on the terminals themselves.

Drive car for 45 min. to recharge battery. Take back to AZ to re-test battery.

Hey Guys well the problem was the battery clamp, i got it replaced and it starts up, the problem is that it just won't start up by itself.

I have to jump the car everytime to get it to start. The battery was fully charged and the terminals are pretty tight. not sure what the problem is. I probably will eventually replace the battery since it is kind of old. It looks like the original battery that the car came with.

Well as long as it starts, right?

Anyways I have a problem with the turn signals turning on when they feel like it. The hazard lights don't turn on either, check out my post for that and please help.

• 3 weeks later...

Check for leaks in the Power Steering onto the Alternator, if that is so, correct the leak and then replace/rebuild alternator, if no leak replace battery only. They tend to kill the alternator because of the P/S Leak. Check ground cables in the motor, clean corrosion as well. Also check all the electrical cables for lost /broken insulation materials, replace insulation materials to avoid further problems the insulation/cable protectors are cheap materials. www.lexls.com good site for your car, with a lot of tutorials C

Hey Guys well the problem was the battery clamp, i got it replaced and it starts up, the problem is that it just won't start up by itself.

I have to jump the car everytime to get it to start. The battery was fully charged and the terminals are pretty tight. not sure what the problem is. I probably will eventually replace the battery since it is kind of old. It looks like the original battery that the car came with.

Well as long as it starts, right?

Anyways I have a problem with the turn signals turning on when they feel like it. The hazard lights don't turn on either, check out my post for that and please help.