98 Ls 400 Problem

landar

...76k miles, runs great, purrs like a kitten and for being 10 years old, looks like new. The problem is that everyone who sees me

with her thinks I am stinking rich (which aint the case). Anyone else have this "problem" (other than at the dealer)? :lol:

i used to have this problem when i was going to mechanics.:)

no1 cared that its a high mileage old car, when they hear word lexus they think ure a moneybag and try to squeeze as much as possible from you.

dont do mechanics anymore:)

I hear you dude. I recently bought a 1997 LS400 with 151000 miles. I have the same chip on my shoulder. What people don't understand is that someone driving a 2-4 year old Chevy Malibu or Ford Taurus is driving a car atleast twice more expense than my car! I had a 1997 S500 before and had the same issue! People just associate the names of luxury cars with deep pockets.

There is a co-relation IF the car is no more than 5-6 years old. Beyond that, all it means is that the owner DOES not have $$$ but good taste in cars. And as is evident from this (and other) great forums, for the most part, we work on our cars ourselves, which, a person with mega $$$$ would not be doing at all.

Just my $0.02 on the topic.

I've noticed that too, it's a source of great amusement to me. the way i see it, after 10 years that L turned into a T, it's just a nice toyota in my opinion. no matter what; people will find something to hold against you, so it could be worse.

It's very true. I know I find myself responding to the "what kind of car do you drive" question, with: I drive an old LS400. The word Lexus is actually the last thing I say. I'll use other explatives to precede the brand, like she's 13 years old. But you know what, let them think I'm rich, the car buffs appreciate the car for what it is. The gold diggers eyes just get big and start trying to find out how deep my pockets are. LOL :D

I find it to be a problem in parking lots. Some people love to ding/key luxury cars. Jealousy I guess. So I park away from the crowd. I get some exercise walking the extra distance. Used to feel the same way when going in for service that I wasn't going to do myself. It doesn't really help to know what you want and what it's worth, they still try to bleed you every time. I got smart, what I did until I found my current service rep who knows me well by now - I would bring the car in dirty. :D Don't ask me why, but for some reason, the reps can't see past the dirt and would be surprised that I would treat my Lexus that way. The upselling would stop and we could get down to the business at hand. Worked for me. As far as picking up the tab because of my car, most of my friends have more expensive cars than mine, so that doesn't happen.

:cheers: