Detailed Maintenance Procedures

99lsguy

Hey guys,

Since the "great crash" we've lost some really good posts. I think we'll get em back but I have my own wish list :D

I'd love to see more "detailed" procedures for all the services needed on our beautiful LS's. You know, some really TOP NOTCH stuff!

These would include photographs and COMPLETE documentation for all services such as:

OIL CHANGE (I know, its basic - but important)

TRANSMISSION FLUID CHANGE (pan drain & full flush)

DIFFERENTIAL GEAR OIL CHANGE

COOLANT CHANGE

BRAKE FLUID CHANGE/BEEDING

BRAKE PADS (F/R)

THROTTLE BODY CLEAN (its done somewhere)

SPARK PLUG CHANGES

PCV VALVE

AIR FILTER

CABIN FILTER

ADJUST IDLE

POWER STEERING FLUSH

ANYTHING ELSE FOR 30K, 60K,90K SERVICE!! (WATER PUMP, T BELT, SERPENTINE BELT, ETC)

I could go on & on. I realize some of these are very basic (AND SOME ARE ALREADY DONE) but if each was docoumented very well with step by step procedures it would help many of our fellow LS forum members and hopefully spur us on to more advanced maintenance procedures (alt, starter, ps....)

What do you guys think? Am I full of hot air or is this stuff doable? I know winter is coming on so this may hamper things a bit, but there'e no particular rush. I'd just love to see all these issues done up first rate with complete accuracy!

Anyway, I'll be glad to start with some simple stuff. I'm getting my wife a little digital camera for Christmas and I'll use it first :D . Probably do the AIR FILTER & CABIN FILTER since I just put them in. I'm ready for an OIL CHANGE in a month or so.

The point is - with all the talent out there it wouldn't be a burden for any ONE person :D

I think a camera will really help and is the preferred way, but if not availabe some REALLY DETAILED, STEP BY STEP DOCUMENTAION should guide even the novice thru any given procedure.

Steve, are there certain file size restraints for the photo posts? I don't really know how to add text to the attached photos so give me a quick lesson for that.

Thanks to all of you for this great forum, it has helped me a TON!!

Hey LS guy. AT one point we had a workshop forum that was model specific but that seemed to disappear in the "crash of '03"

I currently have detailed presentations on

-Changing brakes and calipers

-Replacing taillight bulbs.

Curt Oberg has several as well, I know he has

-Throttle body cleaning

I just finished doing an oil change on my LS a few minutes ago.

Fairly easy job.

1. drive car up on ramps

2. remove 13 10mm bolts that hold splash shield on.

3. remove oil plug (14mm), drain oil

4. change filter

5. put splash shield back on

6. add 5.3 qts of oil.

I then washed the car as it had gotton some dust on it from sitting in the garage.

Denny

Denny,

Can you just remove two of those bolts around the oil filter and then bend that cover section "back" to get to the filter. MY 99 LS is made that way - just wondering - I've never had to remove the whole shield. Maybe a different design for the 98-00 LS.

I think I remember pivoting a section of the shield when I changed the oil- after removing a whole bunch of screws unnecessarily!

I would pay someone to do a walk through on dealing with the left turn signal light bulb! Mine craps out from time to time and I have to bang on the plastic shield to correct it. One of these times that ain't going to cut it.

'99 like yours.

Hey guys,

Since the "great crash" we've lost some really good posts. I think we'll get em back but I have my own wish list :D

I'd love to see more "detailed" procedures for all the services needed on our beautiful LS's. You know, some really TOP NOTCH stuff!

These would include photographs and COMPLETE documentation for all services such as:

OIL CHANGE (I know, its basic - but important)

TRANSMISSION FLUID CHANGE (pan drain & full flush)

DIFFERENTIAL GEAR OIL CHANGE

COOLANT CHANGE

BRAKE FLUID CHANGE/BEEDING

BRAKE PADS (F/R)

THROTTLE BODY CLEAN (its done somewhere)

SPARK PLUG CHANGES

PCV VALVE

AIR FILTER

CABIN FILTER

ADJUST IDLE

POWER STEERING FLUSH

ANYTHING ELSE FOR 30K, 60K,90K SERVICE!! (WATER PUMP, T BELT, SERPENTINE BELT, ETC)

I could go on & on. I realize some of these are very basic (AND SOME ARE ALREADY DONE) but if each was docoumented very well with step by step procedures it would help many of our fellow LS forum members and hopefully spur us on to more advanced maintenance procedures (alt, starter, ps....)

What do you guys think? Am I full of hot air or is this stuff doable? I know winter is coming on so this may hamper things a bit, but there'e no particular rush. I'd just love to see all these issues done up first rate with complete accuracy!

Anyway, I'll be glad to start with some simple stuff. I'm getting my wife a little digital camera for Christmas and I'll use it first :D . Probably do the AIR FILTER & CABIN FILTER since I just put them in. I'm ready for an OIL CHANGE in a month or so.

The point is - with all the talent out there it wouldn't be a burden for any ONE person :D

I think a camera will really help and is the preferred way, but if not availabe some REALLY DETAILED, STEP BY STEP DOCUMENTAION should guide even the novice thru any given procedure.

Steve, are there certain file size restraints for the photo posts? I don't really know how to add text to the attached photos so give me a quick lesson for that.

Thanks to all of you for this great forum, it has helped me a TON!!

How about the key service for a Lexus with 226,000? :D

Seriously- what should be closely looked at on a Lexus over 200K, 230K or 250K that is still in perfect running order? Any major service that is not required on the 100K-200K LS400s that require attention after 200K?

Thanks.

here is a list of fluid specs you should know

engine oil..

type: 5w-30 - 10w-30 Semi-synthetic depending on engine wear (mine has 189K on it and just started with 10w-30 about 6mo. ago)

Capacities..

gen I: 5.9qts (90-94)

Gen II: 5.9qts (95-97)

Gen III: 6.2qts (98-00)

Gen IV: 6.2qts (01-03)

Gen V: 6.2qts (04- current)

btw you only need to take the two back bolts on the driver side loose to access the oil filter.

trans..

i unfortunately will have to ad details to this later as i am not 100% sure of the capacities...for now i will say that for a standard drain and fill start with 2 qts and go from there...make sure the engine is running when you check the fluid level.

rear axle

the rule of thumb is to fill it up till it comes out of the fill hole and then wait until the flow out has stopped....it is very important that you do not imediately plug the diff when the oil starts coming out as when it expands from heat it can blow seals.

coolant..

use only toyota red coolant (it doesn't cost that much more and it's designed for toyota engines) the LS takes about 2qts of 50/50 mix....have an old washer fluid jug handy so you can mix the coolant DO NOT ATTEMPT TO POUR HALF A GALLON OF COOLANT THEN HALF A GALLON OF WATER IN THE RADIATOR AT A TIME...IT RARELY IF EVER WORKS OUT TO BE THE RIGHT MIX.

FILTERS

ENGINE FILTER (EVERY 15K)

to replace the air filter you must first completely remove the ram air plenum located right on top of the radiator. to do this you will need to take up the small plastic cover in front of the battery then using a 10mm socket you will need to take the bolt loose underneath that cover...there are a couple more at the other end of the plenum....you will need a long extention to get one of them...once that piece is out you just need to release the metal ring around the main air box to access the air filter...replace the filter and then reverse the steps above to reasemble the airbox and plenum.

A/C FILTERS (EVERY 15K)

to replace the cabin a/c filter...open the glove box and empty the contents down about half way...then remove the trap door at the top back of the box...it lifts strait up and out..then you will see a big white plastic box behinde the glove box...there will be two tabs about even with the bottom of the trap door you removed..pull up and out to remove the access panel to the a/c filter...with that out of the way you will see a black tray..pull it down and out...in that tray is the a/c filter...DO NOT THROW THAT TRAY AWAY..YOU MUST REUSE IT!...remove the a/c filter from the tray..and then install the new one...then just reverse the steps above to reinstall everything.

NOTE: if you have an LS430 with rear air you have a second a/c filter located in the trunk...it's in front most panel (furthest side of the trunk from you) on the right (passenger) side behind a black plastic rectangle..just pull that off and it's behind there.

PCV VALVE (EVERY 15K)

to replace the pcv valve remove the engine cover (Gen I may be able to get away with not doing this) look at the driver side head...(right side as you are looking at the front of the car) look for a black hose at the front of the engine that goes to the intake...it's about 6-8 in. long...at the side that goes into the head is the pcv valve (look at the part you are replacing it with to figure out what to look for) now this part..depending on the year...will either pop out and pop in...or you may have to unscrew it with a 17mm wrench...either way it should only take about 5mins max to replace it.

wiper inserts..

just take it to the dealer...they likely wont even charge you for them.

and if they do it's not enough to worry about

if you have any other more specific areas you want me to cover please pm me or email me and i will be sure to post them up on here...( no sense in cluttering this up with requests).

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Tyler

I think it can (and should) be any maintenanc procedure on the LS.

High mileage/older LS's may need Front strut rod bushings, new rotors/calipers, shocks/struts, repack wheel bearings, alternator , A/C , starter, etc....

The list is endless - technically. The 60K service is still the same for 120, 180,240,300K - and I expect my LS to go 300K.