2006 Gs300 Wind Noise From Moonroof

I am a new owner of a 2006 GS300 AWD (previous vehicle was 1992 Honda Accord - so I am in heaven). I have noticed wind noise coming from the closed moonroof when I get up around 70 mph. If I pull the shade closed, the noise is not as loud. Has anyone else had his problem?

EdwardL

I am a new owner of a 2006 GS300 AWD (previous vehicle was 1992 Honda Accord - so I am in heaven). I have noticed wind noise coming from the closed moonroof when I get up around 70 mph. If I pull the shade closed, the noise is not as loud. Has anyone else had his problem?

EdwardL

Yes, I have the exact car with the same problem. The closing the sunshade completely eliminates it, but that defeats the purpose of letting light into the cabin. I start to notice the wind noise around 55 mph. One thing you will find with the GS is that the road/engine/wind noise (from the side windows anyway) is so muted that you will pick up on every single other squeek, rattle, creak, rustle that gets masked by other cars.

let us know when your dash starts creaking and rattling like a 84 Chevy. most of them do

EdwardL

Yes, I have the exact car with the same problem. The closing the sunshade completely eliminates it, but that defeats the purpose of letting light into the cabin. I start to notice the wind noise around 55 mph. One thing you will find with the GS is that the road/engine/wind noise (from the side windows anyway) is so muted that you will pick up on every single other squeek, rattle, creak, rustle that gets masked by other cars.

let us know when your dash starts creaking and rattling like a 84 Chevy. most of them do

try lubricating the rubber gasket with some spray silicone. When the gaskets get dry, they get noisy. Direct sun and car wash detergents promote drying and cracking of the rubber. It is not a Lexus thing, it is a natural enemy of rubber thing.

There is a TSB on the dash board creaks. They remove the windshield locator pins.

steviej

I'll let you know about the wind noise in a week, the dealer will be taking a look on Friday. I will also ask if the dashboard squeaks & rattles have been fixed because I made it an issue during the negotiations and they acknowledged that a fix was available.

EdwardL

EdwardL

I have the same issue with my car too. Though to be fair, my two previous cars (Infiniti and Nissan) also had this problem. I would have hoped to not see it in the Lexus, but when I discovered it in this car too, I concluded that this was an issue with all moonroofs. I'm looking forward to seeing what you learn from the dealer regarding the noise.

Steviej, what kind of spray silicone do you recommand?

Don't know what steviej uses but 3M 08877 Silicone Lubricant Plus (Wet Type) is a good product.

I've used it and have gotten rid of a creak or two.

I read a post that stated Infinity mechanics was using this product on some interior dash creaks on the G series so I bought a can.

A high solids, high viscosity aerosol lubricant designed for lubricating moving parts, eliminating squeaks caused by friction; protecting against rust and corrosion; sealing out moisture; preserving plastics, rubber, leather; etc

Joeb, where did you buy this stuff?

I don't remember where but it was online.

Maybe Amazon with some other items.

Do a search and you'll find it at many sites.

I would think autopart stores may have it too.

I was too lazy to look. :D

Steviej, what kind of spray silicone do you recommand?

I have used GUNK brand and CRC, I get them at Autozone. I really don't think it matters. The trick is to spray it on and don't wipe it off or a few minutes, let it penetrate the rubber. I used to spray it on a rag and wipe the rag on the rubber, but this didn't quiet the creaks for long. Now I spray it on the gasket liberally and let is soak (don't wipe it off) for at least 5 minutes. I do drape a shop towel to catch overspray and drips below.

When I do it this way, the creaks stay away for 6 months at a time.

steviej

So basically, just use any spray silicone based lubricate?

I guess. I don't get to picky here. It does the job and thats what I wanted it to do.

steviej

The spray silicone would address any creaks from the sunroof due to lack of lubrication, but wouldn't address the wind noise issue the OP is talking about, right? I have the same issue - I hear wind noise when the sunroof visor is open (i.e. I want light in the cabin). As soon as I close the visor, the wind noise is gone. There is no creaking, but I can never leave the visor open to let in light because if the noise.

I would imagine that some kind of rubber seal or weatherstripping around the glass roof would help eliminate the wind noise?

Dealer visit: 1

1. Test drive with a technician who heard the wind noise - not abnormal. Wind vortex psycho babble ofered as the cause.

2. Test drive with another 2006 GS300 - no wind noise.

3. Tech applied a spray and then a vasoline looking silicone lubricant to the seal.

4. Results wind noise has not gone away.

5. Car will go back to the dealer when the miror comes, and they will adjust the moonroof until they get it right (and no water comes in).

PS - Tilt up & down on the passenger side mirror died, new mirror is on order.

EdL

Dealer visit: 1

1. Test drive with a technician who heard the wind noise - not abnormal. Wind vortex psycho babble ofered as the cause.

2. Test drive with another 2006 GS300 - no wind noise.

3. Tech applied a spray and then a vasoline looking silicone lubricant to the seal.

4. Results wind noise has not gone away.

5. Car will go back to the dealer when the miror comes, and they will adjust the moonroof until they get it right (and no water comes in).

PS - Tilt up & down on the passenger side mirror died, new mirror is on order.

EdL

What'd you pay for this thing? you got ML / Nav? how many miles?