Coolant Problem Or Blown Head Gasket? 93 Es300

OK, I have spent a few days researching my problem and almost everything points to a head gasket or crack. I lost a good portion of antifreeze after my car was parked. I refilled the radiator and reservoir and the fan stopped working overtime while driving, but soon after I noticed when I parked it, the reservoir was bubbling and overflowing. I also smell a scent that is similar to vanilla yogurt (I know, weird description, but most fitting). I do not see white smoke coming out of the exhaust though, so I am curious if my problem is truly a head gasket that is worth replacing. From the research, I am convinced that the head gasket is bad, but to what extreme? The car is not noticeably running bad. Do I still have time to save the car? I am curious if the white smoke is always evident in a head gasket problem and if that is an indication of something much more severe. The car has 140k on it and is probably only worth $3k tops, so I would think of using it only to drive to the dealership and get a new one instead of trying to put $1000+ into it only to find there will be even more problems diagnosed after taking it apart. Thoughts?

OK, I have spent a few days researching my problem and almost everything points to a head gasket or crack. I lost a good portion of antifreeze after my car was parked. I refilled the radiator and reservoir and the fan stopped working overtime while driving, but soon after I noticed when I parked it, the reservoir was bubbling and overflowing. I also smell a scent that is similar to vanilla yogurt (I know, weird description, but most fitting). I do not see white smoke coming out of the exhaust though, so I am curious if my problem is truly a head gasket that is worth replacing. From the research, I am convinced that the head gasket is bad, but to what extreme? The car is not noticeably running bad. Do I still have time to save the car? I am curious if the white smoke is always evident in a head gasket problem and if that is an indication of something much more severe. The car has 140k on it and is probably only worth $3k tops, so I would think of using it only to drive to the dealership and get a new one instead of trying to put $1000+ into it only to find there will be even more problems diagnosed after taking it apart. Thoughts?

If you don't want to take the chance of finding any other engine problems, you have one other option. You could allways purchase a low mileage engine from Japan (listed all the time on ebay). These engines typically have less than 60K, and come with all accessories. They ran about $700 to $800 including delivery. A new car might be nice, but I like the idea of not having a note that comes with it.

It is most likely NOT a head gasket problem. If you have lost a good amount of coolant and you don't see coolant mixing w/engine oil or excessive smoke from the pipe, a head gasket problem is not the cause. It's very likely you have a coolant leak somewhere. Replacing the engine might not solve your problem.

I recommend you fill up the coolant again, turn the car on after parked overnight and just let it idle for 20-30 min. Watch for coolant leaks on the ground or where the smoke is coming from. You can also try one of those coolant pressure testing gauge from parts store for $10-15.

The problem could be simply old radiator leak, hoses leak or back thermostat.

It maybe a leaking water pump. at that milage and age I think you are due for a replacement. look for puddles after refilling coolant around your timing belt cover.

Your fan may not be working properly. Check that. it sould operate at normal engine temps.

It also might be a defective thermostat. From your post, the fan stops working and then you loose coolant when a boil over occurs. you might loose your coolant because of the boil over and not from an actual leak.

Good luck.