08 Gs Owner Thinking About Is 250 As Second Car

I have a '08 GS350 with Nav and 18" wheels, etc. Very nice car. I may have the oppurtunity to off load my Mercedes C240 (2002) and pick up another car in it's place. The IS 250 has been the car I have been eyeing for it's replacement.

I have several concerns about the IS, first, it is fairly close in price to my GS 350. At least the way I priced the IS with 18's and Nav. It makes me wonder if an ES (which I think are butt ugly) or an Avalon (lots of room but the Toyota dealership is pretty aggravating to deal with) should be looked at for the sake of wanting extra room in the back seat (my wife is pregnant with our first child :) ).

The IS would not be drove much but it would be there when needed.

Can anyone weigh in on their thoughts on what I have commented on? I am not sure another Lexus is what I need but we are so happy with our GS it is hard to pass up. One thing is for sure, I need a little more room at the very least than my 2002 C240 had to offer and keyless entry/start rocks.

Thanks and I know, it is a loaded question but your responses are very much appreciated.

I have a '08 GS350 with Nav and 18" wheels, etc. Very nice car. I may have the oppurtunity to off load my Mercedes C240 (2002) and pick up another car in it's place. The IS 250 has been the car I have been eyeing for it's replacement.

I have several concerns about the IS, first, it is fairly close in price to my GS 350. At least the way I priced the IS with 18's and Nav. It makes me wonder if an ES (which I think are butt ugly) or an Avalon (lots of room but the Toyota dealership is pretty aggravating to deal with) should be looked at for the sake of wanting extra room in the back seat (my wife is pregnant with our first child :) ).

Can anyone weigh in on their thoughts on what I have commented on? I am not sure another Lexus is what I need but we are so happy with our GS it is hard to pass up. One thing is for sure, I need a little more room at the very least than my 2002 C240 had to offer and keyless entry/start rocks.

Thanks and I know, it is a loaded question but your responses are very much appreciated.

duuuude i'd get an SUV like a hummer. they're going SUPER cheap now.

^^^^^^ HHmmmm, I wonder why they are soo cheap now?

Have you cosidered and IS 300? maybe save a few more bucks? Personnaly I thought the back seat room was fine, and a ton of fun to drive.

^^^^^^ HHmmmm, I wonder why they are soo cheap now?

Have you cosidered and IS 300? maybe save a few more bucks? Personnaly I thought the back seat room was fine, and a ton of fun to drive.

I have been looking at the IS350. I wish I knew when the '09's were coming out because it looks more and more like a sure thing. But if I price a car within $10k of my GS, I may try and push for another GS350.

I appreciate your thoughts. I will post back once I get the green/red light. I will have to go sit in the back seat next to my GS to be sure, but I think the IS350 would be cool to drive with the larger motor. More suited for my style of driving. But I want room for safety (accident that I hope never happens) and comfortability when hauling around friends. The GS offers both of these no problem, but has a steep price tag for a car that doesn't get drove to often.

I would loooove a GS!!! lol.

Well, with the gas mileage, you can't go wrong with the IS250. I know the 350 gets less.

The back seat, I've had some people tell me it's okay, and others tell me it's really small. I've has an over-6-foot guy sitting in the back, and he definitely was not comfortable, but it works.

Safety is great on the IS. Believe it or not, it gets better ratings on a side impact that BMW and Mercedes. Yeah, even I was shocked.

And if it's gonna be a second car for just hanging around, I think it would be a great option. I think it's a very reliable car. And I can't beat the service. That is one of the reasons I haven't gone to another car.......

I'm confused as to how an IS250 could be similar in price to your GS350. Your GS should be close to $50,000, a loaded IS250 should be $10-11,000 cheaper. The ES fully loaded would be close, $45k, as would an IS350, but not an IS250.

My suggestion if the car is just an occasional driver...get a lower model IS...maybe without nav.

The back seat in the IS is a joke, be warned.

As far as putting infant carrier in the back (you have to mount them facing backwards) it means the person in the front has to either have their seat only 3/4 of the way back and/or have it sitting more straight up.

The problem isn't as bad for a car seat mounted rear facing. And once they reach a year and can ride forward, it is even less of a problem.

It's kind of funny...I thought I was doing the responsible family thing by purchasing a four door. It didn't quite turn out the way I imagined it! Oh well, I still enjoy the vehicle immensely.

I didn't realize how much I really like my IS350 until today. Just recieved an 07 ES350 today as a loaner, and I must say that after driving the car all day today, the newer ES350's feel too big, too wide, and it doesn't handle very well. I used to own a 98 ES300 and aside from the increased power from the bigger engine on the newer ES350's, I actually prefer my 98 ES300 over the newer ES350's.

I actually considered getting an ES350 over the IS350, but I am very glad I chose the IS350 now. Considering that the ES350 and IS350 are close in price I'd have to say that you're better off with an IS350. Aside from the trade off in legroom (mostly for the people in the back seat), the IS350 really is a lot of car for the money as well as a lot more car for the money when compared to the ES350. Keep in mind this is coming from a personal perspective and no offense was meant to any ES350 owners.

I'm confused as to how an IS250 could be similar in price to your GS350. Your GS should be close to $50,000, a loaded IS250 should be $10-11,000 cheaper. The ES fully loaded would be close, $45k, as would an IS350, but not an IS250.

My suggestion if the car is just an occasional driver...get a lower model IS...maybe without nav.

If you get a fully loaded IS250 with AWD, NAV, PCS, ML etc... it is around 46k - 48k MSRP from what I remember. It depends on what types of options the IS and GS have. A base GS price might overlap with a loaded ISx50

Regards,

The back seat in the IS is a joke, be warned.

As far as putting infant carrier in the back (you have to mount them facing backwards) it means the person in the front has to either have their seat only 3/4 of the way back and/or have it sitting more straight up.

The problem isn't as bad for a car seat mounted rear facing. And once they reach a year and can ride forward, it is even less of a problem.

It's kind of funny...I thought I was doing the responsible family thing by purchasing a four door. It didn't quite turn out the way I imagined it! Oh well, I still enjoy the vehicle immensely.

I have a rear facing baby seat mounted in the middle of the rear seat. This allows for more options for front seat positions. It is also a better location IMHO. I am only 5'10" and my wife is around 5' so we don't have the seats way back however.

Wizkid - Congrats on the kid in the oven!!!!!

Regards,

the IS350 really is a lot of car for the money as well as a lot more car for the money when compared to the ES350. Keep in mind this is coming from a personal perspective and no offense was meant to any ES350 owners.

It all depends on the buyer, the IS and ES aren't designed to be cross-shopped. The whole reason the IS and ES exist is so Lexus owners don't have to compromise in that segment like they do with every other manufacturer.

For instance, I would never be interested in an IS, its just not my kind of car, so to me the ES is way more car for the money.

Your previous ES was built before the IS, when they had to compromise. That ES never appealed to me, they made the shift to a bigger, heavier, more LS-like car in 02 once they had the IS to appeal to buyers interested in a sportier car. Thats the first time I became interested in the ES.

If you get a fully loaded IS250 with AWD, NAV, PCS, ML etc... it is around 46k - 48k MSRP from what I remember. It depends on what types of options the IS and GS have. A base GS price might overlap with a loaded ISx50

Regards,

Build it on lexus.com

IS250 AWD with highest available package is $39,585 including destination. A GS350 AWD with the same equipment is $52,710 including destination, making the difference $13,125.

Even a base GS350 RWD with no option packages is $45,375 still $6,000 more than a loaded IS250 AWD.

I said fairly close and maybe I was stretching the definition a little. Within $10k is fairly close to me when talking about an IS to a GS.

I appreciate all the comments. The ES is out. I hate that car just looking at it. I think the 250 will do me but I have to try one out. I did learn that the IS does not have memory seats, rear power shade, and no power steering wheel adjustment. Not deal breakers, but definitely missed when having a GS.

I am not sure we are going to get the car but we are looking at it as an option. It seemed like a better option a few weeks ago but now it is up in the air. I'll keep everyone posted and thanks for the feed back. The back seat in the IS sounds must be close to the C240 because the C240 is a bit cramped in the back IMHO.

If you think the C240 is cramped in the back...the IS isn't gonna work.

The IS should have memory seats as part of the luxury package...

No power wheel though. Its a bummer but you get used to it, my ES doesn't have a power wheel (the new ones do).

Regards,

Build it on lexus.com

IS250 AWD with highest available package is $39,585 including destination. A GS350 AWD with the same equipment is $52,710 including destination, making the difference $13,125.

Even a base GS350 RWD with no option packages is $45,375 still $6,000 more than a loaded IS250 AWD.

I am not trying to take anything away from the GS but.... A fully loaded IS will be in the 46k - 48k. The available packages are NOT fully loaded. PCS as well as other $$$ features are not included. The lowest price GS without the same equipment as the IS is around 45k.

Regards,

But you would have to special order all of those options.

It is a second car for occasional driving...I don't see why it needs to be completely loaded to the gills if cost is a concern.

If you think the C240 is cramped in the back...the IS isn't gonna work.

The IS should have memory seats as part of the luxury package...

No power wheel though. Its a bummer but you get used to it, my ES doesn't have a power wheel (the new ones do).

Going to keep the C240 and drive it I think. I don't drive it enough as it is to warrant such a thing and I would need extra back seat room. I would hate getting two GS's. I would want a different style at least. :( Oh well, life goes on and my wallet will thank me for this, I guess. Thanks to everyone for their advice. I really appreciate it.

We are going to try out a IS this Monday just to be sure though. ;)

• 2 weeks later...