Dealer Service Experiences

saabkyle04

I have always enjoyed going to my Lexus dealer. I got my car a little while after they just built a 17.5 million dealership closer to my home, and it is simply incredible. Everyone is always nice and helpful, a very relaxed environment. I recently got a sub and amp installed (professionally) and just unplugged the rear sub (ML ultra luxury) because I just wanted that extra kick lol. I was so afraid to bring my car in for anything because I thought they were going to send me on my way after seeing that thing. I noticed a rattle in the rear package tray so I braved up and set an appointment (I also had 2 other small issues for them to look at). Next day I showed up and explained my concerns, they were more than glad to help! Turns out that the rattle was some loose speaker wires and they even covered them in foam tape for me!!! This I did not expect, they took care of me in every way that Lexus advertises. It took about an hour, I just sat in the lounge enjoying cookies and free wireless internet, while watching a huge plasma screen TV LOL! It was awesome, I just can't imagine ayone else taking care of you as much as Lexus does!

*the only thing is that they won't loan me a car because I'm 18, I'll be 19 Aug 6 =) they said I had to me 21?!?!

post-68371-1217689057_thumb.jpg

Yep, most places won't rent or loan you a car until you are 21 because their insurance won't cover any loss or liability for a driver of your age. There are a couple states where thats illegal, and some rental places carry coverage and charge a very high surecharge...

Yep, most places won't rent or loan you a car until you are 21 because their insurance won't cover any loss or liability for a driver of your age. There are a couple states where thats illegal, and some rental places carry coverage and charge a very high surecharge...

Yeah that does make sense, I'm not complaining because I know that it's there for a reason! It just can get a little annoying haha :P Thanks!

You should complain, I did when I was your age too. A lot of places won't rent without a surcharge until you're 25. Its age discrimination, at 18 you're an adult, you have car insurance, no reason why you should be discriminated against when you want a loaner car or to rent a car.

I've been in business since I was your age, and when I was 19-20 I travelled a good bit and it was SO annoying that I couldn't rent cars. I had great insurance, good income, and a gold AMEX card that covered rental cars 100% but I still couldn't rent a car. I could rent a box truck...figure that out! I did at times too when I had to have transportation.

If you can vote and go to war...you can rent a Hyundai...

Its not the dealers fault, but it is something that the laws governing insurance need to be changed to address. Some states have done it already, and some states force companies to rent to people 18-21 if their employer rents them the car.

In the modern era, people in college lead busier lives than a lot of 40 year old businesspeople and its a crime that they're discriminated against when they need to rent cars.

And then the surcharges from 21-25. I rented a Taurus one time when I was 24, it was $50 for the day...the under 25 surcharge was another $80. Again, full insurance coverage and a platinum AMEX card at that point still with full rental car coverage. A crime.

You should complain, I did when I was your age too. A lot of places won't rent without a surcharge until you're 25. Its age discrimination, at 18 you're an adult, you have car insurance, no reason why you should be discriminated against when you want a loaner car or to rent a car.

I've been in business since I was your age, and when I was 19-20 I travelled a good bit and it was SO annoying that I couldn't rent cars. I had great insurance, good income, and a gold AMEX card that covered rental cars 100% but I still couldn't rent a car. I could rent a box truck...figure that out! I did at times too when I had to have transportation.

If you can vote and go to war...you can rent a Hyundai...

Its not the dealers fault, but it is something that the laws governing insurance need to be changed to address. Some states have done it already, and some states force companies to rent to people 18-21 if their employer rents them the car.

In the modern era, people in college lead busier lives than a lot of 40 year old businesspeople and its a crime that they're discriminated against when they need to rent cars.

And then the surcharges from 21-25. I rented a Taurus one time when I was 24, it was $50 for the day...the under 25 surcharge was another $80. Again, full insurance coverage and a platinum AMEX card at that point still with full rental car coverage. A crime.

You are so right about all of that, I didn't know that this extended to like renting and other things also. I had just accepted the fact that they won't let me and I didn't want to step on anyone's toes for something they can't change if you know what I mean. I was quite puzzled the first time I brought my car in, the guy told me I could be given a car but when I got there they denied it, luckily my Mom was with me so they gave it to her. when I have class, work, and volunteering I am doing during this summer, it's hard for me to just make a bunch of trips for them to replace a mirror and have to wait the whole time when I can be getting more productive things done. I guess they just think that a 19 year old is too irresponsible to be trusted with a car lol. The funny part about all of this is my Dad owns a used car dealership, at 18 you are legally allowed to drive on a dealer plate and be covered by our dealer insurance. I work for my Dad while I am not in school and I drive on a dealer place 24/7. So if that is legal, why is it not legal for me to get a loaner car instead of waiting lengthy periods of time or desperately trying to find a ride! It is also legal for Dad's dealership to have 18 year olds to test drive, maybe it has to do with something about being a franchise dealer or an independent dealer?!?!

Thats the thing, its not illegal its just something that their insurance company is saying they don't want them to do. What we need to make sure is that it becomes illegal for these places to discriminate against their customers because of their age as long as the customers are adults. You should write a letter to your congressman.

I would ask for a $40 credit on the maintenance you have done at the dealer though, because they are denying you use of a loaner which is part of what you're paying for.

Thats the thing, its not illegal its just something that their insurance company is saying they don't want them to do. What we need to make sure is that it becomes illegal for these places to discriminate against their customers because of their age as long as the customers are adults. You should write a letter to your congressman.

I would ask for a $40 credit on the maintenance you have done at the dealer though, because they are denying you use of a loaner which is part of what you're paying for.

I haven't gone to the dealership for services or anything like that, just warranty stuff, but I had no idea that you are paying $40 dollars for a loaner! That's ridiculous that they just put that into the price, wow. I'm actually getting ready to leave for school so I won't even be coming home that often, hopefully I don't have anymore issues as of now, but I am curious and I might inquire about that! I mean, if you think about it, honestly, how many people are 19 that are coming up there to get things worked on. Idk, I doubt I am going to get service work done at the dealership, I think they way overprice things anyway. It's like $484 for the 15000 mile, but it really cost less than $100 in parts!

I have always enjoyed going to my Lexus dealer. I got my car a little while after they just built a 17.5 million dealership closer to my home, and it is simply incredible. Everyone is always nice and helpful, a very relaxed environment. I recently got a sub and amp installed (professionally) and just unplugged the rear sub (ML ultra luxury) because I just wanted that extra kick lol. I was so afraid to bring my car in for anything because I thought they were going to send me on my way after seeing that thing. I noticed a rattle in the rear package tray so I braved up and set an appointment (I also had 2 other small issues for them to look at). Next day I showed up and explained my concerns, they were more than glad to help! Turns out that the rattle was some loose speaker wires and they even covered them in foam tape for me!!! This I did not expect, they took care of me in every way that Lexus advertises. It took about an hour, I just sat in the lounge enjoying cookies and free wireless internet, while watching a huge plasma screen TV LOL! It was awesome, I just can't imagine ayone else taking care of you as much as Lexus does!

*the only thing is that they won't loan me a car because I'm 18, I'll be 19 Aug 6 =) they said I had to me 21?!?!

I have traveled all over the world and in about every state you can name since I was your age...your right it is annoying about the rentals I have had to buy a car in one instance to get back from Chicago because Hertz car rental was the only place open,and I was 20 at the time..They have a 25yr old limit to their insurance...Now I am a Prefered Customer ...go figure. As far as good experiences with dealerships. Kenny Kent Lexus in Evansville Indiana is one of the closer ones to me...When I bought mine they was more than helpful. They gave me the complete service history of the car (even some bad stuff..lmao) but all was well and was properly maint. and fixed, they sent me information and checked everything out. Returned every call and email quickly and never once acted like I was a bother even when I knew I was,since I didnt even buy the car from them..lol... I offered to pay for the help they offered and they said welcome to the Lexus experience and there would be no charge. Instead I got coupons for having it serviced sent to me and email letting me know that they would help me in anyway I needed to make owning my Lexus more enjoyable . I guess that is why they are a five star Lexus Service Center...I guess they buttered me up enough for the wallet raping I will recieve later,because I will be doing business with them when my car needs alil TLC. Thanks for listening and good luck everyone. ;)

I haven't gone to the dealership for services or anything like that, just warranty stuff, but I had no idea that you are paying $40 dollars for a loaner! That's ridiculous that they just put that into the price, wow. I'm actually getting ready to leave for school so I won't even be coming home that often, hopefully I don't have anymore issues as of now, but I am curious and I might inquire about that! I mean, if you think about it, honestly, how many people are 19 that are coming up there to get things worked on. Idk, I doubt I am going to get service work done at the dealership, I think they way overprice things anyway. It's like $484 for the 15000 mile, but it really cost less than $100 in parts!

They don't really charge you $40, but a cost for a loaner is built into the way that they package and price their services, which is why I would never sit and wait at a Lexus dealer. Even if its a small maintenance like an oil change and tire rotation, I always drop it off at my leisure and get a loaner and come back when its convienient. It makes the cost more worthwhile. If you're choosing to wait thats one thing, but if they're denying you a loaner IMHO its fair to ask for a discount.

The cost doesn't bother me, you're paying for the experience like you do at an expensive store or restaurant.