Navigation Modifications

wajid98

Have any of you tried to "hack" the navigation/computer on Lexus Rx 300 (2002 Model), for example currently when you are driving the NAvigation will not let you enter in a destination address (now i know they do it for safety, but it becomes really useful when you have a passenger next to you and they can enter it) or for example when you have the radio playing (FM) and you click on the "MSG" button it says that the message will not show (because you are driving)...

I was just wondering if there is any way to change those options....

thanks.

Would you believe....

Your RX, at least after 01, has an internal local area network whereby ALL of the ECU's "discuss" things. As far as I could determine the Nav ecu finds out the road speed over the LAN. To defeat the "I agree" I even tried rewiring the Trac ECU so it always had power but to no avail.

Another reason for us to STOP buying "captive" navs.

The $999.00 portable one I saw at Costco last night is beginning to look very attractive. Probably buy the next RX without.

• 3 weeks later...

I just upgraded my old DVD disk ver.1 to ver.03.1. The DVD player in my 2001 RX300 is a black box located to the right side of the jack in the spare tire well. I had to remove the jack to access the DVD player. Only the side of the DVD player is visible when the jack is removed.

The DVD player has a slide switch marked "open" and a slot for the DVD disk. When the open switch is slid to the right, an eject symbol is revealed behind it. The eject symbol looks like a triangle symbol /\ something like the eject button on a home DVD player. I'm not sure if the the eject symbol is acutally an active button or just a passive symbol.

When I slid the open switch the first time, the DVD disk ejected within about 30 seconds (with power on). When I did the same thing today to insert the new DVD disk, nothing seemed to happen. I tried pressing the eject symbol, and the DVD disk ejected. So, I think that the symbol may actually be an active button (sorry about the uncertainty, it was rainy and dark and I was in a parking garage with poor lighting. I was lucky to be able to see or find the DVD player at all).

The part number of the new DVD disk is 00230-DVD03-CY. It cost $250.00 plus tax.

Best regards,

- Bob

• 2 months later...

T720,

Have you had any problems with the upgrade? I read in another thread that all the October 2003 upgrades were defective.

Also, are there any significant differences in the upgrade vs. the original one that came with the 2001 RX?