Extended Warranty - Opinions...

G2SSM

Hi,

Well after a lot of searching, I am closing a deal on a 04 RX330 in WI. Going to bring it back into Canada. Flint Mica - Black leather with 37,300 miles. It's not Lexus certified but a Lexus dealer did put the mechanical on it and inspected the vehicle for me.

The dealer tells me I can get a 7 YR 75,000 mile extended warranty for $2K. It's my wifes vehicle and the we will never hit the mileage so I am basically buying a 3 year bumper to bumper vs. the 2YR power train warranty left.

I know opinions will vary and it's a personal decision but I am interested in hearing any advice or experience with buying the extended warranty. This is my first Lexus. I just remember not buying an extended warranty on my 99 Pathfinder LE and regretted it afterwards.

TIA

Sam

Hi,

Well after a lot of searching, I am closing a deal on a 04 RX330 in WI. Going to bring it back into Canada. Flint Mica - Black leather with 37,300 miles. It's not Lexus certified but a Lexus dealer did put the mechanical on it and inspected the vehicle for me.

The dealer tells me I can get a 7 YR 75,000 mile extended warranty for $2K. It's my wifes vehicle and the we will never hit the mileage so I am basically buying a 3 year bumper to bumper vs. the 2YR power train warranty left.

I know opinions will vary and it's a personal decision but I am interested in hearing any advice or experience with buying the extended warranty. This is my first Lexus. I just remember not buying an extended warranty on my 99 Pathfinder LE and regretted it afterwards.

TIA

Sam

As you say, everyone is different, but on our 04 RX330 (currently with 98,000 miles), we wouldn't have used it.

The only problem we have had is warped rotors every 25-28K. I am hoping to have them fixed for good this time around.

The rest of the car has been rock solid.

A few TSBs to have checked out ...

1) Make sure the headlights are sealed -- there have been reports of condensation and they have revised the TSB

2) Get the A/C "moan/whine" fixed under warranty -- It is 2.7 hours for labor, so it will be a bit costly to fix after the fact.

3) You may notice a dash rattle

4) The rear camera (if equipped) has an extended warranty on it ... it is TSB 0702.

Hi,

TIA

Sam

Is the extended warranty through the Lexus dealer and backed by Lexus/Toyota or some 3rd party? Many 3rd party warranty companies have gone out of business or have lots of exceptions regarding what they cover. I would only by an extended warranty from the manufacturer as you know they will be around. Also, the price on these things are very negotiable.

Regarding warranty exceptions - if a non-covered part fails and causes a covered part to fail, you usually have to fight with the warranty companies - again, more reason to deal with a manufacturers extended warranty - they want t a happy customer.

Extended warrentees are a such a trick purchase. You really have to know what questions to ask, and most of the time the person selling it has no clue.

I think I would call the Lexus dealership you think you would like to take the car to for regular services and ask them about an extended warrentees and what they recommend and who they like to use and why. That way you don't have any "approval" issues and coverage problems as they work with their warrentee companies on a regular basis. Let me give you some examples of how some of these "extended warrentees" can screw you. Let's say you take the car in and they "hear" a problem in the motor. First, the warrentee may not cover "exploratory diagnostics". So you will have to pay out of pocket to find out what the problem is. Then let's say that they find the problem and it is a covered part, like a flywheel. Well, Lexus may charge 1800 bucks for the flywheel, but the warrentee payout for that part might be only 1200. So, you'll have to pay the difference. Also, most policies only cover up to a dollar amount per hour for labor. Lexus charges considerably more than that. Again, you'll have to pay the difference. It's not like an origainal Mfgr warrentee no matter how they play with the words to make you feel like it is. Everystep is a fight with them.

The warranty is from Lexus / Toyota so I am good as far as coverage in Canada.

I am glad to hear the price is negotiable. They quoted $2G. I may offer $1600.

Above that - I am thinking that the RX330 has a pretty good reputation and I still have 2 yrs left on my power train warranty for the big things.

Time will tell if I make the right decision.

The warranty is from Lexus / Toyota so I am good as far as coverage in Canada.

I am glad to hear the price is negotiable. They quoted $2G. I may offer $1600.

Above that - I am thinking that the RX330 has a pretty good reputation and I still have 2 yrs left on my power train warranty for the big things.

Time will tell if I make the right decision.

Yes, definitely negotiate the fee. My wife bought the extra Toyota coverage for her Highlander and got $800 off it.

• 4 months later...
Hi,

TIA

Sam

As you say, everyone is different, but on our 04 RX330 (currently with 98,000 miles), we wouldn't have used it.

The only problem we have had is warped rotors every 25-28K. I am hoping to have them fixed for good this time around.

1) Make sure the headlights are sealed -- there have been reports of condensation and they have revised the TSB

2) Get the A/C "moan/whine" fixed under warranty -- It is 2.7 hours for labor, so it will be a bit costly to fix after the fact.

4) The rear camera (if equipped) has an extended warranty on it ... it is TSB 0702.

What is thye fis xor the dash Rattle please. It is ver anoying.

Hi,

TIA

Sam

What is the fix for the dash Rattle please. It is very anoying.