How To Change 1992 Ls400 Hood Struts/lifts

Chheng

I am looking for some info or tuturiol on how to change 1992 ls400 hood struts/lifts. My car has only 218,000 miles on it and still has the factory set and I was wanting to change them out. I have already found a replacements from Advance Auto called Strond Lifts #4572. I just need help on how to change them out.

My other problems

1. The back of the driver's seat, one side does not go back when I press the button, but the other side goes back and forth just fine. What is wrong and how to fix it or is it worth it?

2. My power steering is leaking, but my mechanic can't find the leak, should I just replace it since I kknow that this is a common problem with them?

3. My windshield washer does not spray out any fluids when I try to use them, but the wipers works just fine, and I did check the fluid resovior.

4. My sunroof leaks when it rains sometimes, how do I fix that?

You will find answers to some of your questions by looking at the "stickys" at the top of the LS400 forum or by doing some searches. How to fix the seat back has been documented, with pictures, several times.

How to replace hood struts will be completely obvious -- it takes about five minutes per side. I've done it at least twice on LS400s. There has been a lot of grief reported from those who have used aftermarket hood struts -- things like bent hoods, hoods that don't open fully and hoods that are very difficult to close. Either be sure that the aftermarket hood struts conform exactly to OEM specs or stick with OEM hood struts. Yes, OEM hood struts might cost a bit more but they will work properly. You can sometimes find OEM hood struts on ebay but I have bought the last two sets at Sewell Lexus.

• 3 months later...

I replaced hood struts once using some off of ebay that were a fraction (20%) of the cost of OEM. They work perfectly fine; no complaints. I'm not sure how they could bend a hood unless they are the wrong size or installed incorrectly, AND the hood forced down despite strut interference. For most, if not all critical parts, OEM is the way to go. However, a hood strut is a very simple part, requiring only that it be the correct length and have the correct attachments. In my opinion, the argument over an OEM vs aftermarket hood strut is similar to the argument over an OEM vs aftermarket mud flap......you buy the right size, and it will work.

Your new struts will have instructions in them. The process is simple. There is an attachment at the top and bottom. It is critical to have a helper for this one, as it is difficult to balance the weight of the hood while installing the new struts. as mentioned the complete install of both sides is <10 minutes.

I'm not sure how they could bend a hood unless they are the wrong size or installed incorrectly, AND the hood forced down despite strut interference. For most, if not all critical parts, OEM is the way to go. However, a hood strut is a very simple part, requiring only that it be the correct length and have the correct attachments. In my opinion, the argument over an OEM vs aftermarket hood strut is similar to the argument over an OEM vs aftermarket mud flap......you buy the right size, and it will work.

The problem, AZ Mike, is that some auto parts stores (e.g. Autozone) were selling hood struts (one brand was Mighty Lift) that were incorrectly listed as fitting various years of the LS400. Some of the aftermarket hood struts did not have adequate travel so the hood did not open fully. Some of the aftermarket hood struts being sold were so stiff that it was almost impossible to close the hood unless only one strut was used -- some people reported bending their hoods when trying to close them when only one of these incorrect struts was used.

I considered buying a set of these aftermarket hood struts for my previous 90 LS from Autozone because their parts catalog said they were supposed to fit my car. If one can confirm that an aftermarket set of hood struts has the proper amount of travel and tension, then buy them. But how many people have the equipment to measure the tension?

Hood struts are often heavily discounted by Lexus dealers who sell on-line including on eBay. For those who like like to keep their cars original -- I'm definitely one of them -- OEM hood struts are a safe bet and can often be purchased at a reasonable price. Besides, OEM struts usually last at least five years so it's not like you are going to be buying them all the time.

My first LS400 was on only its second set of OEM hood struts when I sold it in 2003 after driving it 13 1/2 years. My 2000 LS400 is currently on its second set of OEM hood struts.

I replaced hood struts once using some off of ebay that were a fraction (20%) of the cost of OEM. They work perfectly fine; no complaints. I'm not sure how they could bend a hood unless they are the wrong size or installed incorrectly, AND the hood forced down despite strut interference. For most, if not all critical parts, OEM is the way to go. However, a hood strut is a very simple part, requiring only that it be the correct length and have the correct attachments. In my opinion, the argument over an OEM vs aftermarket hood strut is similar to the argument over an OEM vs aftermarket mud flap......you buy the right size, and it will work.
I have to agree. A timing belt or a ball joint, I'll surely go with Lexus, but not hood supports. I bought a pair of hood struts off of ebay for $50 (Sewell wanted $180 + shipping, and Carson was $150 + shipping.). The seller even had a picture of them installed in a '97 LS in the ad. $200 worth of hood supports for a 10 year old car, not for me. They open and close with next to no effort, and they are the exact same length as the OEM ones that were on the car, so the hood opens fully.
There are 2 drains at the front of the sunroof that are probably clogged. I believe there might be pics posted on the forum.

• 9 months later...

I changed my hood supports about 9 months ago with a set purchased from Advance Auto. The supports were only $27.99 each and took about 10-15 minutes to replace.

They work perfectly. Hood opens like it was new. Best part is that this will be the last set I purchase as they are warranteed for life. Some parts should be "Lexus only", but its hard to pass up on this price and availability. I wouldn't purchase a starter for this car there, but come on....they're only hood supports.

If you are going to replace the Lexus hood struts with non-Lexus parts, make sure that the new struts come with new ball joints. It is very difficult to separate the ball joints from the old original Lexus struts. They don't just pull apart like a lot of these struts do.

If you are going to replace the Lexus hood struts with non-Lexus parts, make sure that the new struts come with new ball joints.
Not necessarily....
It is very difficult to separate the ball joints from the old original Lexus struts.
True, but made easier with this tutorial:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070814133557/...hood_shocks.htm

I used that tutorial to replace the original hood struts on my 90.

Your new struts will have instructions in them. The process is simple. There is an attachment at the top and bottom. It is critical to have a helper for this one, as it is difficult to balance the weight of the hood while installing the new struts. as mentioned the complete install of both sides is <10 minutes.

WARNING, they can bend your hood, I replaced mine and the hood had a "bow/arch" in it, about an inch high, so I got lexus lifts and had no more problems.

just be careful..

If you are going to replace the Lexus hood struts with non-Lexus parts, make sure that the new struts come with new ball joints.
Not necessarily....
It is very difficult to separate the ball joints from the old original Lexus struts.
True, but made easier with this tutorial:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070814133557/...hood_shocks.htm

I used that tutorial to replace the original hood struts on my 90.

I was aware of this "workaround." However, why would one want to go to all this trouble when replacement hood struts with new ball joints are available on e-bay at prices far below the cost at Lexus dealers?

...why would one want to go to all this trouble...
Just giving options.
WARNING, they can bend your hood, I replaced mine and the hood had a "bow/arch" in it, about an inch high, so I got lexus lifts and had no more problems.

just be careful..

Yes, I forgot about that. Mighty Lifts can do that on 90-94. I did notice that when I put them on my 90. Mighty Lift's don't seem to affect my 95.

Hi Chheng,

2. My power steering is leaking, but my mechanic can't find the leak, should I just replace it since I kknow that this is a common problem with them?

Does your car smoke sometimes when you start it up? If it does, the reason he can't find the leak is because the control valve on the power steering pump is leaking and it runs off of the manifold vacuum and it sucks power steering fluid into the engine thus blowing smoke and causing a loss of power steering fluid.

Change the valve and it should fix the problem. They are about $100.00 from the dealer. Part # 17630-16040

Change the vacuum hoses on the valve while you are at it. More than likely they will be brittle.

If I had to guess, it is leaking at the left front (drivers side) and causing the headliner to start coming apart. I have the same problem on my 91 and I saw it again on a 92.

I blew out all my drain lines and they are flowing properly but my sunroof still leaks. I tried to seal it up but I realize I am going to have to pull the headliner down to fix the leak.

To save your headliner until you get your leak fixed, just get a tube of silicone rubber and seal the sunroof at the top of the car on the roof. It won't be pretty and you will not be able to use your sunroof until you get the leak stopped, but it will save your headliner and whatever else is getting wet.

I'm planning on fixing mine when I paint my vehicle and I have to pull all kinds of stuff loose. Hopefully it will be within the next month. I will post a fix as soon as I know what it takes to fix it.

Jerry

Jerry, you do realize that Chheng's post is over a year old? With two posts, I'm sure s/he is long gone. However, I'm sure sharing your experience and other information will still be helpful to others. This may not be the best thread to post your fix as it doesn't relate to the thread topic.

Jerry, you do realize that Chheng's post is over a year old? With two posts, I'm sure s/he is long gone. However, I'm sure sharing your experience and other information will still be helpful to others. This may not be the best thread to post your fix as it doesn't relate to the thread topic.

Hi AzHotLS,

I didn't pay any attention to the date.

jimid posted to this thread and brought it back up to the top. I guess I need to look at the dates more often.

The original author of this thread did ask questions for help on other items besides the hood struts.

When I get my leak fixed, I will post a new thread how to fix it.

Jerry