Rx300

gnolan50

Hello all. I posted this once before but I am very new to this club and want to make sure I got my questions posted properly. The last 5 times I have tried to put gas in my car, it has taken about 15 minutes to fill up! The problem is when I begin to pump it clicks off as if it is full. I normally fill up at 1/4 of a tank so I know the tank is no where near being full. I checked the O-ring around the filler neck and it appears to be in good shape. I have heard from a Toyota mechanic that there is some kind of filter in the path to the tank that might be clogged has anyone heard of this? Secondly is this happening to any of you and if so do you know what the soluition is?

Thank you all for your help

Greg

Hello all. I posted this once before but I am very new to this club and want to make sure I got my questions posted properly. The last 5 times I have tried to put gas in my car, it has taken about 15 minutes to fill up! The problem is when I begin to pump it clicks off as if it is full. I normally fill up at 1/4 of a tank so I know the tank is no where near being full. I checked the O-ring around the filler neck and it appears to be in good shape. I have heard from a Toyota mechanic that there is some kind of filter in the path to the tank that might be clogged has anyone heard of this? Secondly is this happening to any of you and if so do you know what the soluition is?

Thank you all for your help

Greg

<<<<<This reply was posted to your question on the other post that you responded to.>>>>>

Another possibility may be that the car's filler tube has an air leak. The body shop may have loosened something, not tightened up a clamp, or something similar. In California, the gas pump will shut off if a vacuum is not present when the gas is being pumped.

A work-around is to pull back, or compress by hand, the accordion-like rubber sealing device that is on the gas pump nozzle. That disables the vacuuming device. For example, that is the only way to successfully fill up gas cans.

So your experiment should go like this. Put the gas pump nozzle in the filler tube as usual and run it until it shuts off. Then pull back on the rubber sealing device and continue to pump gas. It should fill completely up. Be careful however, the tank may overfill and gas might be spilled. There is a back pressure valve that usually prevents this from happening but a bit may be spilled anyway.

If a filter leading to the gas tank was clogged the backup would be right away and this method would not work. Then you'd know it was something stopping up the fill pipe.