Removing Old Spark Plug Wires

bobirw

I have a 92 LS400 and can't get the old wires off. Don't know what kind they are but their froze on. Auto parts had a tool for removing standard wires but I need one that can be inserted into the sleeve to grip the wire where it connects to the plug. Is there such a tool or what is the trick to getting these things off? TIA

This is what I used:

http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=1024

Your wires are old enough to be replaced and you may mangle the old ones when you take them out anyways. I found it harder to put the new wires on.

glenmore

1990 LS400

First time using this message board so hopefully this works. The old wires were still good but their mangled now so will be replacing. Problem is getting others out. When the wires were intsalled they should have had some special grease applied where they connect to the plug. This makes them release easier, per Lexus. Also prevents the rubber from adhering to the plug if gets too hot. Mechanic from Lexus said he had spent hours with long needle nose pliers digging them out enough to get a socket on them. So I guess thats my next step. Appreciate the different advice given, thanks again.

First time using this message board so hopefully this works. The old wires were still good but their mangled now so will be replacing. Problem is getting others out. When the wires were intsalled they should have had some special grease applied where they connect to the plug. This makes them release easier, per Lexus. Also prevents the rubber from adhering to the plug if gets too hot. Mechanic from Lexus said he had spent hours with long needle nose pliers digging them out enough to get a socket on them. So I guess thats my next step. Appreciate the different advice given, thanks again.

I had no trouble with mine but your plugs may not have been changed in awhile. You have a straight shot at all the wires so just grab them with your tool and pull. That would be a drag if they came apart and part was left down in the spark plug hole so you might try levering your tool against some wood, sorta like pulling a cork from a wine bottle using constant steady pressure.

I found the hardest part was pushing in the last 1/4" of the new wires onto the plug. You want that reassuring dull click of the wire finally hitting home on the spark plug. Be sure to follow the tutorial at lexls.com. A little bit more trouble but if the engine is due for caps and rotors, now is the time to do them. Again, check out lexls to get an idea what's involved. I had some casualties when doing this job. I was cavalier with handling the MAF. This is a sensitive and expensive part so be gentle here. Also there is this little baby blue colored plastic bi-metal temp valve by the upper hose that disintegrated when I removed the two vac lines. It is a $60 part. If you don't already have one, you now have a perfect excuse to get a nice low range torque wrench. You can justify it with all the money you saved!

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Do not just try and pull the wires off the 2 coils as thet have a clip on them you need to press in to release the wires ( if like mine the clips disintegrated on trying but were being replaced anyway)