1993 Es300 - A/c Evaporator Valve And Condenser

I scanned some older posts,

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...p;hl=evaporator

And some DIY's felt that the dashboard didn't have to come out ($$$ labor) for the evaporator.

However, my situation required evaporator and the condenser (next to the heater), and the dealer had to remove the dash (big bucks) to do this job. This dealer hasn't ever ripped me off before.. so my guess is the condenser required dash removal.

Is this basically correct?

Also, searches of this forum indicate that A/C is problematic on this model (1993) ES300.

-Dave

That is correct, the entire dash doesn't need to come out to replace the evaporator and/or expansion valve, just portions of it around the glove compartment box. It's still a buggar to get to.

Although, the dash probably would need to come out to get to the condensor and all the plumbing back in there.

We had our A/C go out on our '95 ES300. I don't know if they are particularly problematic. I mean, we made it 145K before we had any problems with our system. I don't know about the '93 though.

This 1993 spent the last 15 years in the Chicago area, but it's only 98k miles old. My guess is the age plus the fact that I drove it cross-country (to CA) running the A/C most of the way... Hopefully with all the new plumbing, I won't have to mess with the A/C again.

The owner's guide is vague on timing belt - so I'm going to spend a few hours reading more posts here to take a guess at "what's next"

Thanks

-D

Just as a note, we always turn the A/C off for a few seconds before turning the engine off when parking. This is because turning the whole system off with the engine is hard on the A/C. Plus it's hard to start up the A/C at the same time one tries to start the engine. It's hard on the compressor and the whole pressurized system. That alone can cause premature failure. BTW, we had our whole system replace for ~$1300. We got all the parts through www.rockauto and www.autopartswarehouse ...it's been blowing cold ever since.

As for the timing belt, you can open the timing belt cover a little to see the belt. As a rule of thumb, if there is lettering/numbering clearly marked on the belt, it's probably already been changed. If there is no lettering/numbering, of if there is and it's real faint, then it's probably an old/original belt.

Super - thanks for the info

The A/C exp. valve, replace seals and replace condenser and all the other crap behind the dash was about 1500$

I will check the Timing Belt. and for more fun, I am going to try to peak behind the carpet and see if this car has a cabin filter - I doubt that it does.