My Wheel Clunks And No Shop Knows The Answer

larful

ok I bought a IS300 its a great car very quick low miles .. as far as I know well taken care of I THINK!

when I turn the steering wheel to the right at a slow speed from the drivers front wheel the car clunks very loud and vibrates through the steering wheel. This sound and feeling is very annoying and makes me not even want to drive it. So of course I am seeking someone who can tell me first what the problem is and then to fix it. Two shops in town with a very high reputation for quality can't pin point where the noise is coming from. Ive had it into a local dealership for a free estimate, also I took it to les scwab same thing No answer as to what the clunking could be???. I dont care give me your idea's what you think it could be

? When I was having les scwab look at that clunk they noticed my other wheel the "passenger side is two inches back. Could have something to do with the clunk I am not sure its not from the same wheel. My whole front suspension seems wack could I be in serious trouble? the car drives straight

post-61811-1217471250_thumb.jpg

What do you mean 2 inches back?

To be honest, this is a problem I would need to have the car in front of me to even be able to give you some real and useful info. Does it do it if your standing still? In other words if you go to the car, start it, and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock, do you get that clunking sound?

What do you mean 2 inches back?

To be honest, this is a problem I would need to have the car in front of me to even be able to give you some real and useful info. Does it do it if your standing still? In other words if you go to the car, start it, and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock, do you get that clunking sound?

It doesnt happen when I just get into the car and sit down though once I heard it clunk when I did it has to do with weight shifting possible but I feel the wheel turn a little on the Big Clunks it does otherwise it has differnent ranges of sound and vibration thru the steering wheel sometimes worse then others but like I said its when I turn right doing about five miles per hour having the wheel all the way cranked say parking and what not. if no shop can figure it out is it basically about taking it all apart? They said there looks like there is contact of metal rubbing on that rim on the inside but they saw nothing that it could possible even touch. They pulled and un lodged a piece of stump from in side the wheel well . and the passanger side tire is really close to the door not centerd in the middle like the wheel that clunks I have an appointment with someone that does frame work.

hey,

my car makes a clunking noise too when i turn the wheel. my mechanic told me that i just need to grease my brakes. i havent gotten around to doing it yet, but its just a suggestion.

never thought about that, it being the brakes

Is sounds as if your lower control arm is bent, being that your wheel is back towards the door. May have been in an accident in the front. But Im certain that it bent if the wheel is towards the door. Also with it being out of place like that it may be rubbing the inside of the wheel well when you are turnin causing the noise.

You can check by getting under the car and looking at both lower control arms VERY CLOSELY and make sure they look alike.

ok I bought a IS300 its a great car very quick low miles .. as far as I know well taken care of I THINK!

when I turn the steering wheel to the right at a slow speed from the drivers front wheel the car clunks very loud and vibrates through the steering wheel. This sound and feeling is very annoying and makes me not even want to drive it. So of course I am seeking someone who can tell me first what the problem is and then to fix it. Two shops in town with a very high reputation for quality can't pin point where the noise is coming from. Ive had it into a local dealership for a free estimate, also I took it to les scwab same thing No answer as to what the clunking could be???. I dont care give me your idea's what you think it could be

? When I was having les scwab look at that clunk they noticed my other wheel the "passenger side is two inches back. Could have something to do with the clunk I am not sure its not from the same wheel. My whole front suspension seems wack could I be in serious trouble? the car drives straight

I think we are confusing clunks with clicking. The clicking sound you hear when you first start to move is the brakes. That is normal, and alot of cars make that sound. The clunking sound that the op is talking about and being able to feel it in the steering wheel is a different issue. There must have been some damage to the control arms, or it's getting hung up on something from the wheel assembly being 2 inches out of position.

• 5 weeks later...