Another Transmission Bites Th Dust

mikey00

My 2001 trans decided to call it quits today at 133K. For about the last week a faint buzzing was comming from somewhere during acceleration when the engine was cold. It was hard to pinpoint where it was coming from and I thought it was a alternator or water pump bearing. The buzz seemed to rise and fall with engine RPM and did so even when the engine was revved with the trans in neutral. But I guess there is part of the trans that is spinning with the engine even when in neutral. Next symptom was the trans occassionally shuddered when shifting. Today it seemed to shudder a little more than usual so I decided to floor it, let it downshift and see what happens. The engine revved but no power was making it to the drive wheels. I pulled over to the side of the road and tried all the gears. No reverse, nothing. I checked the fluid. It was clean and full. If I shut everything down for a minute and re started, I was good for a few blocks before the problem would re-occuur. I did this many times to get home.

It seems like every one of these trans are destined to fail sooner or later no matter what you do. My fluid was always kept clean with 15K drain and fills. Even had a flush done last time. I have a 2001 which has the factory cooler, which may not be the greatest but has to be better than none. The car is primarily driven by my wife who is very easy on it.

Tomorrow starts my search for a tranny shop.

Sorry to hear that, Good luck in your quest to fix it...Hope you get by cheaper than I did at the lousy Lexus dealer...

Wow, those symptoms mirrored mine. I had the faint whine, but I knew it was from the tranny. I babied it for another month or so, but then I started to have some sporadic shifts and I knew the end for that tranny was close at hand. So, I did my research and found a good shop with a profressionally rebuilt tranny for just under $4K to install. Catching it early saved me a towing bill and allowed me to make the arrangements needed.

BTW, when you feel something slipping or not quite running right, 'flooring it' probably isn't the best way to try and fix it. More so, it will finish it.

I quickly accessed all my options and decided on a local shop to do my trans. I will be sure and post back with my experience, good or bad. My options were:

1. Lexus Dealer - They gave me a phone estimate of 5 to 6K to install a rebuilt trans. Towing had to be added. I assume a loaner and cappacino were included but forgot to ask. I did ask about any goodwill assistance and was given the 800 number. The 800 number wouldn't even talk about possible goodwill without first having the car towed to dealer and problem verified. I do understand the reasoning and it is kind of industry standard policy but I was kind of looking for some type of assurance that if I did have the car towed in and paid the charge to have problem verified that assistance was possible. They wouldn't even talk until the dealer had the car. I then called the dealer back to see if he could offer any suggestions. His only suggestion was to tow the car in. I'm really not happy with the past reports on Lexus rebuilds anyway and even if they gave me 50% goodwill I would still be looking at about 3K, so I crossed the dealer off the list.

2. Toyota Dealer - They did my timing belt and I was pleased with their service so I thought I would check if they were interested in the trans job. I called today (Thursday) and they said get the car to them tomorrow, they would give me a loaner and I could pick up my car on Monday. $3800 for a Lexus rebuilt trans. This sounded real good but I am still stuck with a Lexus rebuilt trans. If I had any problems I was worried it might be a little harder to resolve a Lexus rebuilt trans problem installed by Toyota.

3. Local Independent - I had a good feeling about this guy. He just does transmissions, has a good customer satisfaction record, knows Lexus/Toyota trans, been in business over 30 years, 7 man shop, 1 day service, 2 year warranty. I like the idea of keeping my own trans and having it rebuilt rather then getting some unknown rebuild from whoever Lexus contracts with. I also realize there are ceratin risks dealing with a independent. His price is $2100. for a standard rebuild. If the trans required parts that are not included with the standard rebuild kit, $3300. would be the highest it could go. Towing included. He felt there is a good chance I may not need a rebuild just a repair and it could be much less. I am really not counting on this, but who knows. I decided to roll the dice with this guy.

4. IPT (http://www.importperformancetrans.com/) - These guys mainly build racing transmissions and ship world wide but are local to me. They really know Toyota/Lexus and build a heavily beefed up trans. If I were using my car on a track or doing some serious towing, I would, no doubt, go with them. But after a long conversation with them, I decided this may not be the best option for my wife's daily driver. They sell the trans for $3475. plus shipping, but when you look at having them install it and add on torque converter, fluid and towing it quickly goes over $5K.

2. Toyota Dealer - They did my timing belt and I was pleased with their service so I thought I would check if they were interested in the trans job. I called today (Thursday) and they said get the car to them tomorrow, they would give me a loaner and I could pick up my car on Monday. $3800 for a Lexus rebuilt trans. This sounded real good but I am still stuck with a Lexus rebuilt trans. If I had any problems I was worried it might be a little harder to resolve a Lexus rebuilt trans problem installed by Toyota.

For $3800 you get a Lexus rebuilt trans. If it lasts another 100000 miles you are up to 233000 miles. Do you really intend to keep your car that long? Oth, using a shop with a good reputation, is local, and knows Toyotas/Lexus isn't a bad way to go.

Gary

For $3800 you get a Lexus rebuilt trans. If it lasts another 100000 miles you are up to 233000 miles. Do you really intend to keep your car that long? Oth, using a shop with a good reputation, is local, and knows Toyotas/Lexus isn't a bad way to go.

Gary

I would have gone the Toyota dealer route if I could count on getting a good rebuilt trans from Lexus, that would go at least another 100,000. Problem is, if you read all the posts from others who are having the trans done by lexus, there are to many horror stories. Whoever Lexus is contracting with to rebuild these transmissions is not doing a very good job. These transmissions are not even lasting short term, let alone 100K.

• 2 weeks later...

I have my car back a week now from the trans shop so I thought I would report my experience. Final cost was $3400 to have my trans rebuilt by a single shop independent in Denville, NJ. Warranty is 2 years 24,000 miles. It required all the parts in the standard rebuild kit plus they had to source some gears from Lexus. The trans worked fine from the minute I picked it up. No learning time, shifted like it always has before failure. The shop uses Mobil 1 full synthetic trans fluid and a felt filter (yes felt). They use this combo in all the failing Lexus transmissions and have excellent success. I guess time will tell.

I have my car back a week now from the trans shop so I thought I would report my experience. Final cost was $3400 to have my trans rebuilt by a single shop independent in Denville, NJ. Warranty is 2 years 24,000 miles. It required all the parts in the standard rebuild kit plus they had to source some gears from Lexus. The trans worked fine from the minute I picked it up. No learning time, shifted like it always has before failure. The shop uses Mobil 1 full synthetic trans fluid and a felt filter (yes felt). They use this combo in all the failing Lexus transmissions and have excellent success. I guess time will tell.

Thanks Mike. What is the name of the shop? I might need it someday.

It will be interesting to see how Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid holds up in this vehicle. Those of us who've been through RX300 transmission failure wish you good luck and please keep us posted via this thread....

My wife's 2004 RX330 AWD is now pushing 78,000 miles with no apparent degradation of the transmission system thus far. I've stuck to the 30,000-mile drain-and-fill program that I began on her previous 2000 RX300 AWD after its transmission failed under warranty at about 48,000 miles back in November 2003. I continue to use Toyota Type T-IV fluid simply because I don't yet trust this transmission and want to ensure that I continue to hold all the cards if the RX330 transmission fails and I have to challenge Lexus for a transmission rebuild once again....

In comparison, I had to spring for the first non-warranty, non-routine maintenance repair costing more than $50 this week on my nine-and-a-half-year-old 1999 Dodge Ram 1500-series pickup truck. I had to replace the still-original serpentine belt and the associated belt tensioner assembly because it had just begun to rattle a bit. Got both parts at NAPA for a total of $137 and did the job in about an hour with a neighborhood buddy assisting in routing the new belt. JP Powers can publish all the quality results they care to, but I've never owned or even heard of another vehicle that can come close to matching the service this truck has provided to me over the years with virtually no problems or out-of-pocket expenses required. Lexus and every other so-called premium product provider out there could learn a thing or two from studying this truck - it just doesn't break or fail and it hauls everything from me and my dogs to loads of lumber, tile, bricks, stones, and firewood. This truck has been absolutely amazing. I hope I can keep it for many years to come....

By the way, have you decided how often you"ll replace your fluid? Will you drain-and-fill or flush?

By the way, have you decided how often you"ll replace your fluid? Will you drain-and-fill or flush?

I will monitor the fluid condition closely, but right now I am thinking d&f every 30K. I am done with flushes. My problems started after my last one. Maybe it was just coincidence and it was just time for the trans to go.

I agree with you and would avoid flushing altogether. Far too much risk involved, especially with older transmissions. I'll stick with drain-and-fills on all of our vehicles....

• 4 months later...

Mike, could you let us know the name of the shop that you went? I need a new tranny as well. My tranny died yesterday.

Mike, could you let us know the name of the shop that you went? I need a new tranny as well. My tranny died yesterday.

What Year? How Many Miles??

2000 with 160K on the odometer.

I pick up my car from the transmission shop today. Both clutch and transmission were repaired.

It seems the transmission is not as smooth as it was.

I pick up my car from the transmission shop today. Both clutch and transmission were repaired.

What shop did you end up using and what did you think of them? Did they do a trans rebuild or was it a repair?

What shop did you end up using and what did you think of them? Did they do a trans rebuild or was it a repair?

Lee Myles. It was a repair. The gear shift in between first three gears seems a bit rough, especially 1st and 2nd gears.

I drove my car to the shop during last week's snow storm here in New Jersey. There were only 1st and 2nd gears working partially. It is my first experience to repair transmission. I will go back to Lee Myles to check if this is normal.