Looking To Purchase My First Sc300 For Boosting :)

BoostCrazy

Hey guys, im new to the Lexus stuff, but i've had my 94 Supra Turbo for over 2 years now, and I've had plenty of experience modding the heck out of it. I'm currently running the AEM EMS in my supra and will probably run the same in my SC.

Im looking to find my SC300 within the next few months, and I definitely want to add a turbo. Acually, given my experience with the supra, I really would like to swap in the 2JZ-GTE motor along with the 6 speed getrag tranny that the supras use. Is it much easier to start with a factory manual car for this swap? Is it more complicated than swapping the motor, tranny, ecu, harness, rear, and driveshaft?

Most of the SC's i've found locally are autos w/ 90-100k on them for the price im looking to spend (8-11k) Does this seem about average in pricing? Is there any problems/defects I should be looking for? Are the later years much better than younger years as far as reliability is concerned?

Thanks guys and sorry for so many questions! Can't wait to get my SC!! :D

Regards,

Andrew S

Hehe, that car is VERY nasty. I've read all about everything he has went through with that car over at Supraforums. However, the supra I have now is a built auto and I wanted something a little different and more fun to drive on the street. This car won't see the track as often as the supra does either. Are there any years you would prefer over others? Any problematic years to watch out for? Is the auto/Getrag 6 speed conversion difficult? Id assume it would involve tranny,ecu,rear,driveshaft,shifter,linkage,dash pieces,master/slave cyl,pedal,etc. Thanks for the help!

Andrew

Andrew (good name by the way - mine too)

I would recommend you find a SC3 5 speed to start with. It will make things much easier and probably a little cheaper in the long run. This will allow to not worry about the clutch pedal and all that as well as the computer.

So you want a 5 speed. That is not impossible - just limit your search to that and you may need to be willing to travel and possibly pay just a little more initially. (It will be worth it.) If you are planning to swap the motor, one with high miles won't be a problem. You are from supraforums - so you probably know the handle SoAngel. He is also selling his car. It is an aem car, also with Sound Performance parts (I sold him the fuel rail that I bought from Ebanks) - also top notch stuff. You could try to get a hold of him. Also our user Spruce SC300 has his for sale in our buy sell forum - he is in Florida.

As far as putting a six speed in. The tranny tunnel will need to be hammered out (according to someone I spoke to in the past). Unless you buy a 1995 to 1997 manual JZZ31.

Andrew (good name by the way - mine too)

I would recommend you find a SC3 5 speed to start with.  It will make things much easier and probably a little cheaper in the long run.  This will allow to not worry about the clutch pedal and all that as well as the computer. 

So you want a 5 speed.  That is not impossible - just limit your search to that and you may need to be willing to travel and possibly pay just a little more initially.  (It will be worth it.)  If you are planning to swap the motor, one with high miles won't be a problem.  You are from supraforums - so you probably know the handle SoAngel.  He is also selling his car.  It is an aem car, also with Sound Performance parts (I sold him the fuel rail that I bought from Ebanks)  - also top notch stuff.  You could try to get a hold of him.  Also our user Spruce SC300 has his for sale in our buy sell forum - he is in Florida. 

As far as putting a six speed in.  The tranny tunnel will need to be hammered out (according to someone I spoke to in the past).  Unless you buy a 1995 to 1997 manual JZZ31.

Ok, 5 speed it will be then, im more than willing to travel and I don't mind spending a little more up front. Yes, I know angel from Supraforums and I'm also a regular over at turboforum.net, Anglel's site. His car is awesome, but I really wanted to do the project myself rather than buying a complete car (as well as doing the GTE swap rather than the NA-T route) In my car I have a Sound performance turbo kit, fuel system, and transmission and they have all worked flawlessly so far. Thanks for all the help!

Andrew ;)