Check Engine Light On Ls430

dhick

My 2001 LS430 (110,000 miles) was recently serviced to determine the cause of the check engine light. The dealer replaced the left side catalytic converter ($1000 bucks). Two days later, the check engine light came back on and now the dealer tells me the right side cat needs to be replaced. Can I be so unlucky that both cats go out a the same time?

dont call the dealer, take the car to independent mechanic and ask them to get the code. i would not trust the dealer coz he can give u any code u want, just to go mechanic and ask him to pull the code in front of you. they usually charge up to 30$ for the code checking and its worth spending them if you dont have to spend another grand on a repair you might not need.

even if it is a cat, pulling out an oxygen sensor and cleaning it can solve the problem. dont rush into changing the cat. usually when cat is going, it collapses and u notice a degraded perfomance and if you look unde the car you can see malfunctioning cat glowing.

dont call the dealer, take the car to independent mechanic and ask them to get the code. i would not trust the dealer......

Agreed. Untrustworthy dealer.

However, I would still obtain the codes from them and then get an indy to double check them, document it, and see if you can get a partial refund for what sounds like mis-diagnoses, incompetence, etc.

Further to what's been said above, I would suggest you invest in a ODBII scan tool. They're not expensive and worth every penny. Then read up on the codes you're getting here:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html

:cheers:

Further to what's been said above, I would suggest you invest in a ODBII scan tool. They're not expensive and worth every penny. Then read up on the codes you're getting here:

these codes are no good, they are for the first gen LS, 2001 is 4th gen LS.

actually i jut remembered, autozone does error code reading for free. and they even give you a print out of what the code means.

these codes are no good, they are for the first gen LS, 2001 is 4th gen LS.

actually i jut remembered, autozone does error code reading for free. and they even give you a print out of what the code means.

My bad. I meant to post this link:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...?showtopic=3725

VMF 2001 is THIRD GEN!!!! But it's okay I'll let it slide this time ;) hahahah. :lol:

If it does end up being the cats you should go with some cheap aftermarkets..

Here is a bunch of info on cats just posted up a few days ago!! B)

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=49898

Maybe sell that new cat you just got for all of it's precious metals!

I went to the local Autozone to rent a code reader as I have done in the past and found that they no longer offer this service. I needed it for my MBZ C280. FWIW, they said it was due to complaints from auto repair shops. It is now no longer available as part of their free loaner tool program. They may still read codes for you though. It was about time I bought one for myself anyways.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

• 1 month later...
Call the dealer and ask for the codes. Post them here.

May be on your ticket as well.

I had the same problem with my 95 LS400 with 112k. Local Toyota dealer got CODE P0420 (Bank One) - not sure if he's referring to his Bank Acct or location of problem :D

Quote for replacing the left cat was >$1300. As emissions test not required for cars older than 1996 in these parts, I'm dragging my feet about replacing the cat. CEL (Check light) remains on until it's replaced and other things might go wrong and I won't know it until the part totally fails, he tells me. Now, I want to believe that's all that is causing the CEL BUT as we have all heard "Trust but verify!".

So, what's to say it isn't my O2 sensors and not the cat.? I can get non-OEM EASTERN cats (made in PA) via car stuff for <$160 each and Bosch O2 sensors for ~$78 each so I'm not inclined to shell out OEM bucks for a 1995 car, as nice as it is.

If the O2 sensors were the cause of the CEL shouldn't they pop up with a code of their own? These are the original O2 sensors as best I can tell from all my repairs/maintenance records. What I hear from those in the know is that cats last but O2 sensors fail. If cats fail there is often something causing it. I use premium fuel from COSTCO (triple filtered but ???detergent levels) until recently when I just filled up with 87 octane (1st tank). I've learned that Top Tier fuels clean much better and I may decide to go for Shell or Texaco in the future.

Should I find a competent non-dealer mechanic to replace the O2 sensors since they are old?

Should I spring for the EASTERN catalytic converter and hope the CEL goes off thereafter?

Any advice is appreciated!

Ray

Call the dealer and ask for the codes. Post them here.

May be on your ticket as well.

I had the same problem with my 95 LS400 with 112k. Local Toyota dealer got CODE P0420 (Bank One) - not sure if he's referring to his Bank Acct or location of problem :D

Quote for replacing the left cat was >$1300. As emissions test not required for cars older than 1996 in these parts, I'm dragging my feet about replacing the cat. CEL (Check light) remains on until it's replaced and other things might go wrong and I won't know it until the part totally fails, he tells me. Now, I want to believe that's all that is causing the CEL BUT as we have all heard "Trust but verify!".

So, what's to say it isn't my O2 sensors and not the cat.? I can get non-OEM EASTERN cats (made in PA) via car stuff for <$160 each and Bosch O2 sensors for ~$78 each so I'm not inclined to shell out OEM bucks for a 1995 car, as nice as it is.

If the O2 sensors were the cause of the CEL shouldn't they pop up with a code of their own? These are the original O2 sensors as best I can tell from all my repairs/maintenance records. What I hear from those in the know is that cats last but O2 sensors fail. If cats fail there is often something causing it. I use premium fuel from COSTCO (triple filtered but ???detergent levels) until recently when I just filled up with 87 octane (1st tank). I've learned that Top Tier fuels clean much better and I may decide to go for Shell or Texaco in the future.

Should I find a competent non-dealer mechanic to replace the O2 sensors since they are old?

Should I spring for the EASTERN catalytic converter and hope the CEL goes off thereafter?

Any advice is appreciated!

Ray

Followup on previous note:

I took it to an independent import repair shop. Diagnostic code confirmed P0420. After-market cat. with labor ~$600+ (vs >$1300 at Toyota/Non-Lexus dealer). So far so good. Hope it lasts and lasts.