2001 Gs300

Hi I am new to the club. I have owned my 2001 since 2005 and absolutely love the car. But for about the last 1.5 years I have noticed a shimmey at 65 mph. When I logged on to this website I researched for information about this shimmey and found some information that it was affecting the earlier model 99 etc. Has any experienced this shimmy with the 2001 and have you been able to get it fixed? I have purchased new tires and re-balanced these tires over and over, I also had my rims checked to see if they were bent and they are not? What's next?

Hi I am new to the club. I have owned my 2001 since 2005 and absolutely love the car. But for about the last 1.5 years I have noticed a shimmey at 65 mph. When I logged on to this website I researched for information about this shimmey and found some information that it was affecting the earlier model 99 etc. Has any experienced this shimmy with the 2001 and have you been able to get it fixed? I have purchased new tires and re-balanced these tires over and over, I also had my rims checked to see if they were bent and they are not? What's next?

AWWW, The dreaded 60-65 mph shimmy...It SUCKS!!!! I've battled with this problem on many a lexus' And what i've found is the following: A quality tire is a must. I've had brand new tires that rode like sh*t all b/c i "tried " to save some money. Second, is the SAME shop doing the balance job for you? Generally speaking monkey see, monkey do meaning the machine is only as good as the person using it...If you really want a perfect balance job find a place that that has a "road force" balancer. Any reputible custom rim shop should have one...Hope this helps!

P.s. You may also want to have your tie rods checked. Just a thought

Thank you for the information. I will try a different vendor and make sure that it's not the tire's.

AWWW, The dreaded 60-65 mph shimmy...It SUCKS!!!! I've battled with this problem on many a lexus' And what i've found is the following: A quality tire is a must. I've had brand new tires that rode like sh*t all b/c i "tried " to save some money. Second, is the SAME shop doing the balance job for you? Generally speaking monkey see, monkey do meaning the machine is only as good as the person using it...If you really want a perfect balance job find a place that that has a "road force" balancer. Any reputible custom rim shop should have one...Hope this helps!

P.s. You may also want to have your tie rods checked. Just a thought

I just bought a 2001 Lexus GS430 and had a similar problem. First week I drove it I was nervous that I got a lemon.

I took it to Firestone. Had them do a couple things

1. Alignment ( I bought the lifetime package, $170.00 for the life of the car, worth it if you are aggressive or live in a city, pays for itself after just 2-3 uses)

2. Had them resurface rotors (just the front axels, $40.00 a rotor)

3. Rotate and balance tires (life time for as long as i own the tires, was only $50)

Total bill $300.00

SHIMMY GONE! STEERING WHEEL VIBRATION GONE!

Not bad for $260, the lexus drives like a Lexus again!

Hope this helps. Let me know how it works out for you. Good luck!

yeah i have this too ONLY at 60........only option i havent done is a road force balance although i have been told about it but at 45 a wheel i'll pass at the moment! only time my car ever see 60 mph is on its way to 80 mph :D

brian