Soon To Be Is250 Owner. Need Help!

Just wanted to say hello to the lexus community, and i have a question to ask about the car. I've been looking around dealerships and online dealers to find the perfect one, btw trying to find a used 06 or 07. I'm completly new to Lexus and don't know much about the car but i was wondering if i were to purchase an IS without navi in it, can i just buy the oem face bezel and in-dash screen from the parts dept? or do they not offer that. Not sure how much it would cost but wondering if that was possible.

Just wanted to say hello to the lexus community, and i have a question to ask about the car. I've been looking around dealerships and online dealers to find the perfect one, btw trying to find a used 06 or 07. I'm completly new to Lexus and don't know much about the car but i was wondering if i were to purchase an IS without navi in it, can i just buy the oem face bezel and in-dash screen from the parts dept? or do they not offer that. Not sure how much it would cost but wondering if that was possible.

It would cost more than just getting it as an option in the first place (it's several thousand bucks to get everything for a full swap) and it won't be covered by your warranty.

On the other hand, for $300 you can buy a Garmin unit that does considerably more than the OEM unit does, and doesn't cripple itself when you put the car in drive... but it will sit ON the dash instead of IN the dash.

If you -must- have ti in your dash you could get an aftermarket head unit with a screen and navigation installed, that also does more, for less than the cost of swapping in the OEM unit.

Welcome to the LOC!

I would just get one with the Nav screen if you want that feature. save yourself alot of headaches and hassles. The stock nav does more than just nav, as it also provides touch screen control for the AC, radio, and few other arguably useful/useless menues and options. It's also tied into your steering wheel buttons and has the back up camera. I also heard, and I am working on it now, that with the Ipod interface kit, (I'm not sure it's the one Lexus is selling, but an aftermarket one), that also allows you to watch movies from your Ipod on it. I'll have to verify that and get back to you though once I find out the rest of the story and see for myself.

If you -must- have ti in your dash you could get an aftermarket head unit with a screen and navigation installed, that also does more, for less than the cost of swapping in the OEM unit.

Unfortunately, it's far from easy to do that due to the way the dash is integrated.

Without nav you can still change the radio and AC by touch. It's a magical invention called buttons!

Heh... anyway, the Lexus ipod kit does -not- play videos on the nav screen.

The aftermarket VAIS kit can do so if you buy the right model though. Note that using this in motion would be illegal in a number of states.

I'm completly new to Lexus and don't know much about the car but i was wondering

I was informing the OP of the features the Nav screen offers as he may not be aware that after spending the cash to install an aftermarket Nav system, he would not have some of the linked features the stock Nav screen offers. I wasn't debating the button vs. touch screen, or the pro's and con's of nav vs non-nav. So you can stop with the unnecassary comments. And thank you for repeating what I said about the ipod kits.

He'd still have the exact same functionality though as far as the AC.

More, really, since he could directly change the temp with a button press, as opposed to the OEM system where you have to change to the climate screen first.

Anytime I've had a loaner with nav I found it pretty annoying to have to switch between screens to accomplish the same things (ac, radio controls, etc) that I can do directly in one step on my non-nav car... and if he's new to the platform that's probably worth mentioning to him as a consideration too.