Tranny Fluid & Coolant Flush

mobilyte

Tranny flush???

I wouldn't do that unless the fluid color or smell indicates a need.

My 92 with over 100k miles is finally getting the factory anti-freeze replaced, drained, because the oil change shop says its "murky". Freeze level still tests okay, but....

Tranny Flush & Fill - buy Type T-IV from the Toyota dealership ( replacement to Type T-II, buy a case for volume discount ). Lexus will charge you $ 39/gallon. At the Toyota delaer expect to pay about $45- 50 for 12 quarts. Flush & fill yourself & save the money.

VMF I believe had a good procedure for DIY - by removing the return tranny oil cooler return line from radiator, starting car, & letting it flowing into a bucket until cherry red. Just add fluid at dipstick at the rate it is coming out of car. It will take about 9 to 10 quarts until cherry red. This way all fluid is replace including most of which resides in the torque converter.

I followed this procedure & it worked great besides saving me money.

Per the '92 factory shop manual, flush & fill is 8.7 quarts of tranny fluid. Just a drain from pan is 2.0 quarts or so.

As to coolant flush, buy the red coolant from Toyota as well and flush yourself. It is easy. Just follow procedure from manual if you have one. If not, buy a factory shop manual as well.

Best money ever spent on your Lexus.

Jeff

Hi,

For both, I used Jiffy-Lube. They have the machines to do both. I bought the fluids (trans T-IV and red coolant) from Toyota dealer.

Seems ok and smoother so far. I also purchased Denso Iridium sparkplugs and will change when weather ever gets warmer :geek:

VH

dont use any type II tranny fluid. use only toyota fluid. plus get a record from the dealership if you tranny has ever been serviced. if not this tranny flush can kill it. do it only if its absolutely necessary. also if ur tranny slips and kicks there is a big chanse it might not work afterwards.

Just go to toyota dealership - a good compromise of reasonable price and quality. You dont have to through hassle of buying fluids, making deals, worrying about if they put in the right fluids. The Toy dealer here charges $129 for trans fluid flush with Toyota type 4 and promises completion 59 minutes and under

i tried 2 toyota dealerships. they refused. one of the told me that they dont have access to lexus database and dont know what my car needs. and another one told me that they have an agreement with lexus not to do lexus cars...

by the way, i finally got my factory service manuals today, this is the guy that i bought them from (did the sale outside of ebay), i read though a few sections while giving myself a break from work, the manuals are brand new, but expect to get overcharged on shipping (charged me $18 and only cost him $3.50)

Hi,

I saw that ebay auction. What did you end up paying in the private transaction?

Is that the going rate, about $125?

Thanks,

glenmore

MBZ 1991 300CE

Maybe 1990 LS400

Fiveofakind's procedure (and VMF) will work if you DIY...

Otherwise, local Toyota dealer should do it no problem with machine. In KC area, my local Toyota Dealer will work on my 99LS anytime - but I still DIY.

coolant - use Toyota Long Life Coolant only!!! and you can premix with distilled water 50/50 for a perfect job. :D

Lexus dealer would be last place I'd take it. It will cost you at least $100 more for the same thing.

That's pretty good.

I ordered Vol 2 only (main section) from Toyota Publications and paid $90 + $5 for shipping.

But I only have one book.

got a CD that contains all three manuals (vol 1,2, and electrical) for $25 to round it out. The CD is difficult to use but I feel it is supplemental since I have the main guts in one Book.

plus get a record from the dealership if you tranny has ever been serviced. if not this tranny flush can kill it. do it only if its absolutely necessary.

This is an old myth. Replacing old fluid with new fluid regardless of the condition the tranny & fluid are in wont hurt it any worse than it is already.

Jeff

That is for pan drain only.

They will drain 2 - 2.5 quarts of oil and then refill thru the dipstick with new fluid.

That is all they do.

I can reach under there without putting my car on a ramp. Its a small bolt 10-12 mm and the torque is 15 ft. lbs. Just put a shallow pan that will hold 4-5 quarts and drain. Then refill thru tube but leave it about 1/2 quart low till you've had a chance to drive it around a little. You don't want to overfill the tranny. Just be careful and "sneak" up on the full mark.

3 Quarts of fluid is all you need - but I don't think the 90 LS takes T-IV, check the owners manual.

DIY

That is for pan drain only.

They will drain 2 - 2.5 quarts of oil and then refill thru the dipstick with new fluid.

That is all they do.

I can reach under there without putting my car on a ramp. Its a small bolt 10-12 mm and the torque is 15 ft. lbs. Just put a shallow pan that will hold 4-5 quarts and drain. Then refill thru tube but leave it about 1/2 quart low till you've had a chance to drive it around a little. You don't want to overfill the tranny. Just be careful and "sneak" up on the full mark.

3 Quarts of fluid is all you need - but I don't think the 90 LS takes T-IV, check the owners manual.

DIY

Goodness gracious. That is highway robbery!! :rolleyes:

I will check that manual tomorrow to see what fluid is required. I am going to check my service records tomorrow to see when it was last changed. My transmission still works like new, but I want to keep all of the maintainence up to date. Thanks again.