For The Life Of Me I Can't Figure Out How The

For the life of me I can't figure out how the intuitive parking assist suppose to work on my new IS350.

Just a little background so please bear with me.

I am jumping ship to the Lexus from BMW, I am a first time Lexus owner.

The bimmer was great but always had little problem here and there. After I cut my hand on the rough edge under the door side arm rest, i've had it.

The way the parking sensor works on my 745 is that whenever I shift the car into reverse, it automatically comes on. slowly beeps until i get close to an object.

Oh the IS350 i find it a little bizarre, when i shift to reverse, the parking assist does not automatically comes on. It will only activate if i turn it on through the satellite switch on the left side of the steering wheel. Whenever it is activated, i see an annoying green indicator comes on in the instrument panel telling me it's on as if this is a temporary function, or at least the system wants to make sure you know it's on.

I've come up with several guesses.

1. Maybe I am not suppose to have it on all the time?

2. I suppose to manually turn it on and off every time i want to use it?

3. My setting is wrong.

4. My car is not functioning to the way it was designed?

If i leave it on, whenever a pedestrian walks pass the front of my car, it beeps like crazy. I just find it totally strange, the head-lights are auto, wiper is auto, but this parking assist requires me to turn it on and off every time???

Can anyone help me and tell me how it works on your car?

For the life of me I can't figure out how the intuitive parking assist suppose to work on my new IS350.

The bimmer was great but always had little problem here and there. After I cut my hand on the rough edge under the door side arm rest, i've had it.

The way the parking sensor works on my 745 is that whenever I shift the car into reverse, it automatically comes on. slowly beeps until i get close to an object.

Oh the IS350 i find it a little bizarre, when i shift to reverse, the parking assist does not automatically comes on. It will only activate if i turn it on through the satellite switch on the left side of the steering wheel. Whenever it is activated, i see an annoying green indicator comes on in the instrument panel telling me it's on as if this is a temporary function, or at least the system wants to make sure you know it's on.

3. My setting is wrong.

If i leave it on, whenever a pedestrian walks pass the front of my car, it beeps like crazy. I just find it totally strange, the head-lights are auto, wiper is auto, but this parking assist requires me to turn it on and off every time???

dude, nobody has that feature but you. you are on your own.

im jealous though... <_<

I always have it on...

3. My setting is wrong.

I don't have this feature, but in dealing with other cars that have this, the car goes nuts when people walk in front of me. And when I'm backing out of the driveway, because it's a little slanted, it will yell at me because it thinks the asphalt is too close to my bumper. I haven't dealt with this in a Lexus, but it sounds like you should leave it on full-time. I don't know what to do about that annoying green button, though.

Any other ideas from people that actually have this feature?

Thank all for your kind replies.

This is what puzzles me, since someone mentioned that he leaves it on all the time. Why should there be a green indicator on the instrument panel? I mean all the other indicators goes off unless the car really needs my attention.

When you leave it off, and put your car in reverse, does it automatically come back on? or there is no other ways around it. Only manually turn it on and off?

That's not the only light that stays on when something is engaged. Lexus decided the default was off so that's why it's off. They decided that trac default was on. They also decided there would be a light on the dash when the shifter was in S mode and it does. Default for headlights is off, so there's a light on the dash when the lights are on. And so on.

That's not the only light that stays on when something is engaged. Lexus decided the default was off so that's why it's off. They decided that trac default was on. They also decided there would be a light on the dash when the shifter was in S mode and it does. Default for headlights is off, so there's a light on the dash when the lights are on. And so on.

that make a lot of sense, just wish the default is on. Or work like the BMW's. Automatically comes on and off depends on the gear.

I could not get this option on my car and I really wanted to have it (in addition to the backup camera. I really think visibility is not great on the IS) but then the nearby dealers did not have a car with all the options I wanted (and I could not wait to have it). Now I am a bit puzzled as I was not aware it is a manual thing. I am surprised, to say the least, that it is not automatically switched on / off. I had this on many cars and usually when I get in reverse (never had it on the front bumper) it will stay quiet and as I approach something it will start beeping faster as I get closer.

And when you say it beeps when you have a person walking in front of the car this really surprises me as I thought this is somewhat intelligent function that can "tell" if you are driving or parking. What happens if you are on a stop light and get close to someone in front of you or someone in the back gets close by? Does it beep again? I am almost glad now I did not get this option!

I could not get this option on my car and I really wanted to have it (in addition to the backup camera. I really think visibility is not great on the IS) but then the nearby dealers did not have a car with all the options I wanted (and I could not wait to have it). Now I am a bit puzzled as I was not aware it is a manual thing. I am surprised, to say the least, that it is not automatically switched on / off. I had this on many cars and usually when I get in reverse (never had it on the front bumper) it will stay quiet and as I approach something it will start beeping faster as I get closer.

And when you say it beeps when you have a person walking in front of the car this really surprises me as I thought this is somewhat intelligent function that can "tell" if you are driving or parking. What happens if you are on a stop light and get close to someone in front of you or someone in the back gets close by? Does it beep again? I am almost glad now I did not get this option!

yes and just to add to the puzzle, just about everything else on the car is automatic. When i put the car in reverse, the rear sunshade is smart enough to automatically retract itself so I can see through the rear window a little better. The outside mirror automatically tile down so i can see better when i parallel park. But this supposedly high tech device does not turn on. Unless I manually turn it on through the satellite switch on the left side of the steering wheel. Once it's on, it's always on anyone walks near the front censor or the rear censor it goes off even when the car is stopped. A big green light indicating it's on. I feel it's totally out of harmony with the rest of the control.

I have this w/the backup camera. It's on all the time and I don't have any issues. The front ones beep occasionally when someone/something is close, but no where near a problem. For reverse the camera comes on and I use that, the mirrors and the assist while backing up. Works fine, although it took some getting used to. The assist beeps & shows yellow, then beeps faster (usually best time to stop), then goes red.