30-day / 1,000 Mile Service

swinmachine

Hey all. New owner here :) My and my wife just purchase the RX to go along with our first child :D

Can anyone tell me about this 30-day maintenance? What is it? Is it important? Seems a little ridiculous to me that i have to take the car in already and we've only owned the car for a few weeks....

anyone shed some light?

Hey all. New owner here :) My and my wife just purchase the RX to go along with our first child :D

Can anyone tell me about this 30-day maintenance? What is it? Is it important? Seems a little ridiculous to me that i have to take the car in already and we've only owned the car for a few weeks....

anyone shed some light?

Who told you about a 30 day maintenance? Unless it is an extra courtesy by the dealership it shouldn't be necessary. It is also a bit too soon to do the personalized settings before you really know what adjustments need to be made.

Older cars used to have a first oil change at 1000 miles but it is not necessary anymore with the improved manufacturing specs and superior oils. I have heard, but cannot confirm, that the original oil in a Lexus is specially designed to break in the engine over 5000 miles.

My 08 RX350 went 5000 miles before the first maintenance per owner's manual and the service department. Also, the 5000 mile service is complimentary (free).

• 5 weeks later...

The manual says they just basicly wash the car, check the alignment and check all the bolts and fluids. Basically - unimportant. I'm gonna change my oil tomorrow so it's gonna be at 2800 miles... I've heard that there is a lot of crap in the first oil change so it's better to get rid of it sooner, 5000 is pushing it. Question, can I schedule my 5000 mile service at let's say 10,000? Since I'm gonna put in synthetic which should easily last 7k

• 2 weeks later...

The 1k service is a customer service stop. They want to check out your car, wash it up all nice for you, address any of your concerns, and get you acclimated to the dealership. No reason not to do it, its free. I don't let the dealer wash my car but I still did the 1k check and went over some things with them way back when.

As for synthetic oil and oil change intervals. Lexus specifically says not to increase oil change intervals when using synthetic oils. I have run Mobil 1 since the first oil change at 5k miles and I change it every 5k.

The 1k service is a customer service stop. They want to check out your car, wash it up all nice for you, address any of your concerns, and get you acclimated to the dealership. No reason not to do it, its free. I don't let the dealer wash my car but I still did the 1k check and went over some things with them way back when.

As for synthetic oil and oil change intervals. Lexus specifically says not to increase oil change intervals when using synthetic oils. I have run Mobil 1 since the first oil change at 5k miles and I change it every 5k.

Trust me the oil change interval is a myth. You can last much longer than 5k on it. It's synthetic for crying out loud, it's made to last long. All Lexus want from you is money - considering that you come to them to change the oil.

• 1 month later...

A 1k service is just a courtesy service to address any concerns you may have and to check the car's fluid levels, alignment, etc...It doesn't happen to often but Lexus does make manufacturing mistakes. I've seen cars with < 5000 miles with large oil and or coolant leaks...You can also use the 1k service to customize your Lexus...Door locks, alarm, lighting, etc.. If your mechanically inclined and you inspect your fluid levels / engine and you are happy with your settings then a 1k service would only be a free car wash. It's just reassurance for the masses. As for Synthetic oil changes lasting longer they probably do. I use synthetic and I change my oil every 5k. It's not a huge amount of $ to invest in my engine...

As far as the gentlemans comment on "All Lexus want from you is money - considering that you come to them to change the oil".

As a Lexus Technican I do not make my money off of regular oil changes. In fact they aren't money makers for the dealership either. I do however make money off the guests that don't change their oil on a regular basis. If you choose to change your own oil be sure to save all your reciepts. If you do have a problem later down the road it's pretty hard to get Lexus or the Dealership to warranty anything for you without proof. If you own a new Lexus and you want to save money just have your oil changed and tires rotated every 5000 miles. I change my air filter every 15k and brake fluid when I need brakes...Coolant will last till 100k. It's not that much $ to maintain a Lexus engine..

Trust me the oil change interval is a myth. You can last much longer than 5k on it. It's synthetic for crying out loud, it's made to last long. All Lexus want from you is money - considering that you come to them to change the oil.

Lexus doesn't own dealerships and they don't recieve profit from maintenance or repair work.

Anyways I bought a $40,000 automobile and the manufacturer specifically says not to extend the oil change interval when using synthetic. So...I follow the manufacturer's reccomendation. Why should I trust you? I'll trust the manufacturer of my vehicle.

To me, its not worth the chance of having issues with warranty work, or explaining to a prospective buyer why they should trust me and why I ignored the factory maintenance schedule when I go to sell the car.

You can trust whoever you want, all I'm saying is that the oil change interval is made to be short so that you're always on the safe side. If you know the basic car maintenance and can check your car's fluids, you'll realize that at 5k, synthetic oil is still fresh looking. Maintenance from a dealer will help you in the long run when you go to sell your car, but I didn't buy mine - it's a lease. Most people who lease don't give a *BLEEP* about their cars: redline them when they're not broken in, use regular gas, and barely do any service. But I'm not like that, I'm taking care of my car, I just don't feel like getting ripped off by the dealer. No offense to dealer mechanics.