Bluetooth & Voicedial

Hello, I'm perplexed by a problem I'm having with my bluetooth cell phones and the Lexus phone integration. I have successfully sync'd my blackberry curve and moto RAZR phones to the car, I can even transfer some or all (my choice) of my phone book entries to the car. However I'm stunned by what appears to be a lack of features once my phone is connected;

It appears that the only voice recognition that is available is by manually recording a voice tag with each entry -once it has been transferred to the car. This is problematic given that I have over 800 numbers stored on my BB -and a smaller subset (400) stored on my RAZR. Manually programming each entry would take years.

Does lexus not have the ability to parse human voice (like the Microsoft Sync on Lincoln or VoiceSignal technology on BB's)? It's odd that most modern cell phones have this capability and a $90k luxury vehicle doesnt? Am I missing something?

My work-around would have been to bluetooth connect my phone to the car and use the phone's voice dial functionality to dial the number, then allow the car to broadcast the audio -but that doesnt seem to work with either the razr or bb. Once the bluetooth is connected, neither phone will accept a command to dial a number -my guess is that it's expecting that sort of command to come from the bluetooth device (i.e. a headset's button, etc..).

I'm wondering if I'm overlooking something in the setup? With laws in place that prohibit holding the phone while driving I have no way to leverage the integrated phone features of the lexus w/o manually tagging all of my phonebook entries! So now I drive around with an ear-bud at the ready for any calls I need to place and can only use the lexus bluetooth for incoming calls.

Any help or prospect of a software upgrade that would fix this?

Hello, I'm perplexed by a problem I'm having with my bluetooth cell phones and the Lexus phone integration. I have successfully sync'd my blackberry curve and moto RAZR phones to the car, I can even transfer some or all (my choice) of my phone book entries to the car. However I'm stunned by what appears to be a lack of features once my phone is connected;

It appears that the only voice recognition that is available is by manually recording a voice tag with each entry -once it has been transferred to the car. This is problematic given that I have over 800 numbers stored on my BB -and a smaller subset (400) stored on my RAZR. Manually programming each entry would take years.

Does lexus not have the ability to parse human voice (like the Microsoft Sync on Lincoln or VoiceSignal technology on BB's)? It's odd that most modern cell phones have this capability and a $90k luxury vehicle doesnt? Am I missing something?

My work-around would have been to bluetooth connect my phone to the car and use the phone's voice dial functionality to dial the number, then allow the car to broadcast the audio -but that doesnt seem to work with either the razr or bb. Once the bluetooth is connected, neither phone will accept a command to dial a number -my guess is that it's expecting that sort of command to come from the bluetooth device (i.e. a headset's button, etc..).

I'm wondering if I'm overlooking something in the setup? With laws in place that prohibit holding the phone while driving I have no way to leverage the integrated phone features of the lexus w/o manually tagging all of my phonebook entries! So now I drive around with an ear-bud at the ready for any calls I need to place and can only use the lexus bluetooth for incoming calls.

I just purchased the LS460 and have a Motorola RAZR. The phone connects but cannot transfer my phonebook database. Is this a common problem and is there a fix. The salesman was able to transfer his phonebook from his Blackberry. RAZR is not an old phone--surprised that this is a problm.

The Toyota Nav system can recognise voice tags and commands but it won't scan your phonebook and create voicetags; that's still a manual process.

I think the system only supports voice tags for about 30 numbers; I think the idea is to record tags for the 30 people you call the most. You can still dial the number by voice (I think the command is dial by number); although that's not going to help you if you don't know which number you're dialing.

The Voicesignal system is still fairly new and a number of middle tier cell phones don't do speaker independent (or dependent) voice dial so I'm sure Lexus figured it was a better bet to not include that feature. I have also had some variable results with the Parrot system and my Curve so perhaps the technology is not perfected yet for road use (once my phonebook hit 600 entries the recognition seems much slower and less accurate).

I'm not sure if the MB or BMW systems can do it yet; but I'm sure this will come to most bluetooth phone systems within a couple years. I don't know anybody who's used the Sync system yet so I don't know how good it is at interpreting commands.

If you have the BB in your hand you can assign one of the quick keys to enter the voicedial option and then have the phone connect to the bluetooth system once the call is dialed. It's not the most elegant solution but it does work; sometimes I keep the blackberry in my cup holder and grab it to make a call.