Rx300 Tire Recommendation

dwagener

Well it's time for new tires... I'm not sure what kind to get, I don't want to spend a fortune but I'd still like a good tire. I live in PA and I'd want something for all around driving, mostly highway, I don't take it off-road but I'd prefer to just keep them on through the winter too. Any suggestions or what kind do you have? Thanks!

- Dan

Well it's time for new tires... I'm not sure what kind to get, I don't want to spend a fortune but I'd still like a good tire. I live in PA and I'd want something for all around driving, mostly highway, I don't take it off-road but I'd prefer to just keep them on through the winter too. Any suggestions or what kind do you have? Thanks!

- Dan

Welcome. I suggest you search this forum; you will find excellent discussion and recommendations re tires for your RX. I will also be buying tires for my wife's 99 RX in a few months. I have Bridgestone Dueler H/L's now and am very happy with them. I am going to give the Bridgestone Alenza a close look based on this forum.

Hello,

I just replaced my tires with the Goodyear Comfortred and am absolutely amazed how quired and smooth they are.

while I live in Florida I can't tell you how they would perform in snow. I got them at Sam's at a good price.

You can check all the specs at Tirerack.com

Karl

• 3 weeks later...

Just changed today the 'crap' (Lexus OEM) Goodyear Integrity's on my '99 RX300 with the new BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Tour. It is 'new' because they changed the tread design in Spring 2008 to make it quieter, smoother and less 'knobby'. Just a few miles drive evidenced - quieter/smoother ride and much improved 'feel' of the car as being more 'together' on the road. Road feel was not there, really [but I think that 'road feel' is an oxymoron for the '99RX300 (which I otherwise much enjoy)], and the tire overall seemed remarkably agreable. Its treadwear rating of 580 should give it a reasonable life. The reviews at some tire stores (e.g. Tire Rack) seemed to be very positive for the longevity and the quietness, but not so for the tread design (not good in wet or snow after 10K miles). As I indicated above, the tread design has recently been changed.

We will be driving from FL to MI next week, and I should get better feedback after then. Will post it.

I'm gonna have to suggest the Bridgestone dueler Alenza tires 100%.

I put them on my Rx300 last year and i haven't had a single problem. I live in RI, and as you know, we get a lot of snow! These tires haven't failed me once in the snow.

Although still dangerous, i've taken it up to cruising speed around 80+ on the highway during heavy rainstorms with no hydroplaning. They're incredibly smooth and quiet on the highway, i really have to suggest them 100%!

They're a bit more expensive than other brands, but it's the piece of mind, i can't complain!

Hello,

I just replaced my tires with the Goodyear Comfortred and am absolutely amazed how quired and smooth they are.

while I live in Florida I can't tell you how they would perform in snow. I got them at Sam's at a good price.

You can check all the specs at Tirerack.com

Karl

Hey Karl,

How you like the Comfotread tires so far?

Anyone have any experience how well it handles the rain?

I've have the Intergrity tires and its not all that good in handling on wet surface. Sometimes it spins out when starting from stand still, its most noticeable when the tires are on white paint(like a cross walk).

I'll be 100% honest. I got the Bridgestone Alenza's after reading about all the good reviews esp on tire rack

The good:

+ Long Life - I think 60k; much longer than the original Duelers (~25k?)

+ Great traction esp in rain

+ Good traction in snow - Let's face it, the RX wasn't made for snow. Regardless of the tires you put on, it may still slip in HEAVY snow (except for maybe specialized snow tires). BTW, my car is AWD

The bad:

- Decrease in MPG (according to the car's MPG gauge)

- I think the original tires were a little "smoother". Softer compound, but the traction was definately not as good.

I promised an update on the new BFG Long Trail T/A tour tires after the trip from Miami to Michigan. Here it is: the tires are not as quiet as I originally thought, but they beat tHe Goodyear Integrity's hands down. Very smooth and quite comfortable. Good on both dry and wet surfaces. I don't regret the purchase.

The Goodrich Long Trails are long-known as more of a truck tire than an SUV tire. Several of my friends and neighbors have installed them on their vehicles such as Dodge Ram, Chevy Silverado, and Ford F-150 pickups. One of my good friends recently put a set on his very cool 1969 Ford Bronco that he is gradually restoring. You are correct - they are noisier than some of the other tire choices you could have made.

Hope they work out for you in the long run. I've never seen a set of Long Trails on an RX in our neck of the woods....

Hi dchan865,

so far so good. I just love the quiet, smooth ride of the Comfortred.

Haven't had it in a lot of rain yet but it beats the Integrity by a mile.

Karl

Thanks, Karl.

After some research I'll try the Kumho KR21, looks like a good tire with a resonable price. Many RX owners have no problem with it. Its likely better than the Intergrity I have on my car now. Hope for the best.

The Goodrich Long Trails are long-known as more of a truck tire than an SUV tire. Several of my friends and neighbors have installed them on their vehicles such as Dodge Ram, Chevy Silverado, and Ford F-150 pickups. One of my good friends recently put a set on his very cool 1969 Ford Bronco that he is gradually restoring. You are correct - they are noisier than some of the other tire choices you could have made.

Hope they work out for you in the long run. I've never seen a set of Long Trails on an RX in our neck of the woods....

Tks. for the good wishes. I hope they come true..

Actually, as I had noted higher up, these are the 'new' design ("Tour"): they are a touch rougher-looking than , say, the GYr Integrity's (which are 'car' tires), but much less so than the previous (i.e. pre-Spring 2008) BFG Long Trails. Sinc ethe car will probably now serve in Michigan, I thought a rougher tread would be better in case of some snow. Tks. again!

Hi dchan865,

so far so good. I just love the quiet, smooth ride of the Comfortred.

Haven't had it in a lot of rain yet but it beats the Integrity by a mile.

Karl

Thanks, Karl.

After some research I'll try the Kumho KR21, looks like a good tire with a resonable price. Many RX owners have no problem with it. Its likely better than the Intergrity I have on my car now. Hope for the best.

I wish you good luck - let us know how they are... Anything is better than the Integritys, I believe - they are the worse tires I have driven on in forty-five years of driving and rallying.

I still have my original Michelins on at 43000 miles. My wife had a flat that was not repairable so the spare went on the car. I bought a Bridgestone Dueler Alenza for the spare and sometime in the next month or two I will buy three more. Good reports here and other places on the Dueler. I did not want a truck tire, did want a long warranty, and the Alenza is one of the best selling tires out there, according to the Firstone/Bridgestone dealer.

Gary

I personally recommend the Cross Terrains. Good tire for the money, smooth, quiet (well Duelers are quieter though hehe), and long mileage. I only drove about 5k miles on my Cross Terrains on my RX300 since I sold it for a GX, but the GX came with Cross Terrains from the factory, and I'm still running on the same tires 4 years and 53k miles later. No signs of possible damage, nowhere near replacing (it's about 45-55% through), and still runs great!

Btw I moved this (even though it might be a little late) in the Wheels and Tires Forum. This should get you more foot traffic on this topic. ;)

Thanks for the thread move :) Sooo I was going to go with the Alenzas but they weren't in stock so then I was going to go with the Michelin Cross Terrains. I ended up going with the Michelin LTX M/S though... because they were a little cheaper than the Cross Terrains and the employee suggested them, I'm happy with them so far.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Well, 5-years have passed since I bought Alenzas for my 2002 RX300 AWD... and I'm back to check in as it is time to replace them. Are the current Alenzas still a good choice, or are there better now?

BobL