91 Ls400 280,000miles

trevordbs

You mention 'belt' what belt are we talking about exactly? Try & be a little more specific with what parts & fluids you will be changing.

On top of your list I will add...

Under fluid - differential fluid or gear oil.....should take 75W 90 or 80W 90....consider using synthetic.

Under spark plugs - spark plug wires, air filter, fuel filter & PCV valve.

Do you have any service records for the car? When was the water pump changed? Do you have a trusted mechanic you can take the car to have the work performed?

we need more info.....what has been done and how many miles ago....

off the top of my head....complete fluid change...brake fluid,p/s,tranny,rear end,oil,coolant....water pump,timing belt,ac service,front end, alignment,tires rotated and rebalanced....

Here's a basic maintenance schedule based on mileage. Go through the list and your history to see what needs doing. I would add the suggestions by Lexusfreak and Python to the list if they're not there already.

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/mainten...partner=edmunds

:cheers:

Sorry for being so basic with my question.

I am a mechanic, i just bought this car recently, and the service records arent with the vehicle. Im not so sure what has been done to this car in the past, besides oil changes and just the basic stuff. What my questions are what else should be done. Besides, Engine Oil, Tranny Fluid, Coolant, tires, brakes. Im a mechanic and can do most of this stuff myself, its just a matter of time. I drive 140 miles 5 days a week and the car runs fine, this engine is a champ.

Just, i personally think the engine is running hot, and im not so sure if the temp gauge is reading properly, so that one for sure. But at 280,000 miles im guessing a good amount should go into this, like...a full tune up? Valve alignments? Im use to working on older, more simpler engines so alot of this stuff ill just have done, cause after being a mechanic for 6years i dont want to wrench on my off time either. <_<

Good afternoon,

I would start with this: Go to your local dealer and talk to a service advisor. Be polite and tell them you recently purchased the car and would like to get the service history. Give them the VIN and they can give you a printout of any service work that any Lexus dealership has done with the car. Some of the info on the report might be a little cryptic, but it should give you the gist of how it was serviced. Based on that - look over the maintenance schedule someone provided in an earlier response, and you should get in the ballpark of what you might want to put at the top of your maintenance to-do list.

If it was never serviced at a Lexus dealership (independant shops instead), then you will be out of luck as far as service history goes.

Good luck!

First thing I would check on is the timing belt. A dealer most likely did the first one. Who knows for the 2nd one. Luckily your 1st gen engine should be a non-interference type so that if the timing belt does break, you'll just need a tow and replacement. Do the water pump while you're in there. If it were a 2nd or 3rd gen (correct me here guys which year did it go interference?) I'd be very concerned about the belt.

Here's a little info I can add!

Spark Plugs: NGK iridium, or Denso Iridium (both long life) Spark Plugs

Spark Plug Wires: OEM Carson

Fluids: Mobil1 or Amsoil Full Synthetic Amsoil Vehicle Look-up

Filters: Amsoil WIX seem to be the best. (stay away from FRAM) Amsoil Vehicle Look-up

That's all I can think of for now! Welcome to the forum!! You should be able to see another easy +100K out of her if you treat her like a lady!! :D

Would it be better for me to go to the local dealer and have this done, or go to an independent mechanic?

on my el camino, i just did the work myself, now i dont have the time to even change my own oil anymore.

IF you can do some of the work yourself, that would save you a bunch of $$$. Depending on what your LS needs, you might pass out with the dealers quote for the work.

if ur car is running hot u could have blockage, get a heat gun and check various spots on ur radiator as well as throughout the engine, turn ur heater on high and see if it fluctuates in temp at all, ur temp gauge should be below half way just above the second line on the gauge....