Turbo 2jz-ge - How Many Miles Till They Pop.

caffeine655

Ive been looking into a more 'practical' car for awhile now, and was pleasantly suprised to see that the Sc300 had the 2jz-ge in it. I love those! Anyway.... After driving a 93' TT RX-7 for over a year and a half. It will be hard for me to drive any N/A car.... So therefor, Sc's look like the perfect car for me (with a turbo of course). So my question is how many of you guys have reliablity issues with the turbo n/a? How reliable are they, is a better question...

It seems like the SC has ALOT of potential, but not to many people are into them and thats kinda surprising to me seeing the engine..... Maybe its just me coming from the EXTREMELY large rx7 community.

And what about 1/4mi times? I havent seen any 1/4 mile times.... Im curious what a 350bhp turbo sc300 is capable of....

Thanks,

gregg

I have not had any issues for a the year I have had the car. The guys who are hard on the car see tranny failures first. Clutches shred. Easily upgraded. I know of a 500+ rwhp SC at stock compression running the stock 5 speed that is still running strong at 140k+ miles. Overall, they are very reliable until you start doing hard launches and cranking the boost way up. Then you should start considering lowering compression and tranny changes. I have run 20 psi on one occasion or two at 10:1. I don't recommend it though. Most guys are sticking to 12 psi or so on stock compression and lately, when the car does get a rare excersize, she has been set low at 8 or so psi. Still runs away from most cars around here.

There are more turbo Lexus out there than you think. We are just typically not as loud about it if you know what I mean. I know of 4 in my immediate area (100 mile radius). If go out 200 to 300 miles, I can think of 20. That is still a relatively low number but there are many more out there hiding. There are quite a few in the Florida area, New York, Eastern seaboard, California, a few in Ohio, Chicago, Wisconsin, Kansas, ummm.... I think you get the idea.

My car is rated right around 350 rwhp at moderate boost according to the dyno from the previous owner. I still have yet to put her on the rollers. I also have not had the opportunity to put her on the track. On one 20 psi street pull, I ran down a R1 (debatably - not sure how hard he was on the throttle) - he was very surprised to see a lexus creep past him at a high rate of speed. Never did get to talk to the guy but the way he looked over as I went by told me enough. The 500 hp sc in the area clicked a high 12 due to traction problems. That was the same time as he was running at high 300 hp. With slicks and a good driver - at 350 rwhp, 12's are not unreasonable.

I hope to get some 1/8 and 1/4 mile runs posted, videoed, and documented next season. I need locate a good source of turbo blue.

Thats good info.... I think im sold on the sc300. Luxury, 2jz, boost, nice selection of body kits to choose from.... And it can even change its fuel map!? MAN, i thought id have to get a whole new ecu to run an extra 3psi of boost..... (stupid rx-7 ecu)

I assume upgrading tranny means transplanting a supra tranny? It must be nice to be able to share parts like that....

Thats a good concentration of turbo lex's, thats pretty nice. I wonder if any are in the dallas area. Dallas has one of the most active rx7 communities in the US, and its nice to have guys around to help out with problems or parts.....

thanks for the help

gregg

Oh my. I forgot Dallas. You never hear of Clint Pohler? PHR? There are quite a few running around there in Texas. These are not like your finiky 13b's. Those things pop their top faster than a drunk !Removed! 18 year old girl on spring break. ;) Don't get me wrong, great cars - but always under the knife.

LOL, yep...

Im not a stranger to the !Removed!... heh

with the 13b, its not a matter of how reliable the engine is, its a matter of how many miles you can squeeze out of it before you gotta slap another one in....

PHR, oh yeah! haha, i forgot they did lexus stuff...

Clint Pohler's car - nice.....

We Austinites have some nice cars as well...

•Good ole Phil (http://www.fly-hawaii.com/lexustt/) has a very slick Turbo Lexus...

•Clint Pohler (http://www.turboimports.com/clinpoh97t76.html), who is in fact an Austinite...

•Me (ha ha ha)... I just wish I had a Twin Turbo setup...

P.S. I raced an Audi S4 the other day and kicked its !Removed! with my SC300, but only because the S4 is limited to 125 mph. What a day -- what a rush!

AWJ...long time no talkie. Lexo with the turbo GS in Utah. Hows it hangin? I have my turbo around 12 lb boost and runin clean....I am very happy with the way my turbo runs. It is like the factory ment it to be. My trany is holding good, and I keep the oil changed in the motor ( full syn). I have had mine on about a year as well. With the right kit and proper tuning, don't wait...get cha one! I was dyno here at 325 rwh. I do walk away from most here in Utah. My care with turbo is rare here in this state. I get some serious looks ( some good ) some ( what the hell is it? ) I will let you know of any further issues but, man I am pleased.... :cheers:

I'll take a Sound Performance set-up over anything. But toyomoto is very good too if you can get a hold of someone over there. I say SP first because they answer the phone. I went to see their facility in person and spoke to the guys there. Very helpful. I saw Ebanks fully worked motor and many other project cars. Any future work I do or have done will be through this shop. For budget items I'd say DaveH is the way to go. But labor will always hit ya'. You will truly save money by doing it yourself. But then again, you might not. I used to say there is nothing wrong with f-max until I saw and drove a car with it. I would recommend something else.

DaveH is the cheapest out there. good capabilities too. i dont know about down there in austin, but up here in the plano area your not top of the game unless your runnin lower than 12's. your more than likely going to run into a few MOD (mustangs of dallas) drivers with a cobra with around 800hp under the hood. thats the only reason i dont like it up here, every race ready car has mega boost and hp, and most likely mommy and daddies money pushin it. as long as your a good "do it your self" kinda guy, go with the DaveH, cheap, but not a complete set.

cheap dave h :cheers:

Yea, we have a few high horse power v8's in the area to fear. But I haven't met them yet. I suppose once I do, I'll either pic up a A/C Cobra kit car or try to build the SC further. But the SC is going to CO$T in order to hang with anyone under 12. 11 is definitely possible I suppose with some further work. But tens - hmm. Now we are talkin' $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Those 5 0 guys are straight nuts.

I've got a guy next door running 9 psi supercharger, forged everything, and a 150hp shot for that extra kick.

He finally agreed to take me out for a ride for $10(cover the spray refill)

Holy :censored: !!! Spun the tires while shifting to 3rd. EEEEK!

Now my car seems SO slow.

I can spin tires going into third. A supercharged mustang at only 9 psi doesn't scare me. Depending on where he hits that shot, he would probably get me though. Until the shot is used up - or he holds it and blows. Either way. I got him top end. I'd eat him on the interstate. He'd take me in the quarter if he hits the juice. If he is running a staged hit, I would stand no chance with my car.

Then gears come into play too, if he has any weight reduction that could pose more problems too.