Spark Plugs / Wires

jcrome04

I don't know why but I posted this on Club Lexus... after I did I realized I'll probably just get sassed for "not searching" so I decided to post it here where (I think) it should get better answers :D Thanks to everyone in advance! I appreciate you guys! :cheers:

I've decided on buying Denso Iridium long life plugs. Thoughts on these? How about these VS. NGK iX??

As for the wires I'm debating whether to buy the $117 OEM wires or a set of $150 Vitek wires. I've used Vitek in the past and have been pretty happy with them. However I've read people say many time to just stick with OEM.

My question I guess is... Why?

Why should I stick with the OEM over aftermarket? For me it's between the Viteks and OEM so if there are any solid reasons as to why I should stay away from Viteks I'll buy the OEMs.

Here is a lot of info on the Vitek "ULTRA Series braided wire"

http://vitekperformance.com/technical_wires_ultra.asp

They claim to be finished at 6mm 8mm or 9mm depending on OE requirements, so they are not obscenely oversized for no reason like other brands of wires.

"It should be noted that this construction offers superior dielectric properties and capacitance over larger diameter wires offered by some manufacturers as a marketing gimmick."

Thanks in advance for all advice!

Not 100% sure on the spark plug wires you mention personally.....I have no experience with that brand......I've always stuck with OE or NGK (which make alot of OE) wires.

As for the spark plugs.....use Denso 'long life' iridium (part # SK20R11) or NGK 'long life' iridium plugs (part # IFR6T-11) for your 97 LS......both have the same gap at .044". The IX NGK's you mention are only good for about 30 - 40k miles.....they don't have the same amount of iridium that the long life Denso & NGK's do.

Another fairly new to market plug is called Pulstar (part # BE-1) but I personally won't consider these plugs until they have been on the market for a few more years.....not to mention they are $25 a piece! :blink: And naturally the price comes down. Although they do look interesting. More info here...

http://www.pulstarplug.com/

:cheers:

i have experienced this personally....get oem wires! they come with all the plastic pieces for proper routing as well as proper length which is so important when installing wires on these cars....go to the dealer

i have experienced this personally....get oem wires! they come with all the plastic pieces for proper routing as well as proper length which is so important when installing wires on these cars....go to the dealer
I agree. When I replaced the wires in my old '95, I went with OEM, and the fit was too perfect to consider any other option. The OEM wires are not just a bunch of wires in a box like you get with most manufactures.

Yep - go with factory wires.

Good article, quite objective. Most wire manufacturers depend on consumer ignorance of electrical properties and theory to sell their stuff. High voltage is achieved with resistance, not super conductivity.

I have actually contacted Pulstar directly & I hope to be able to do a detailed experiment with these plugs in the coming months. I hope I get good news from the company soon so for those that are interested.....stay tuned! B)

:cheers: