Harsh Shifting

cleverdick

The last few days here (in UK) have been particularly hot and humid. My '90LS doesn't seem to cope too well in this kind of climate. When I have the air on, you can hear the engine pinking during acceleration. (I had a new radiator last year and Toyota red Forlife coolant but it's just as bad). Just as worrying is that the other day, after driving at quite high speed for about 20 minutes or so, the gearchanges became quite harsh and also causing a fierce jolt when selecting D from stationary. (Idle revs were normal). I've never had this problem before. Fluid is genuine Toyota TIV, which I completely renewed about 3 years ago, plus filter, according to the LexLS tutorial. It's still clear doesn't smell burnt. I have not had this problem since, but then the car hasn't got as hot since. So it looks as if there is no permanent damage. Interestingly, the later LSs have two cooling fans, mine (being an earlier model) only has one. Anyone else here got this problem?

:unsure:

Since youre in the United Kingdom your gas is a much higher octane, correct? When I saw you mention pinging I first thought of that then recalled an episode of Top Gear when Clarkson was ripping on American gas and my buddy said you guys have upper 90s octane?

There was a post here the other day of a gentle having a broken wire in the boot (that's for you) and it was causing him to have some problems wth his tranny as well. I would do a search. It was posted on Friday night so it shouldn't of dropped too far.

Sounds like everything is in proper order with Toyo/Lex ATF as well as the redness in the cooling system. Sounds a bit electrical to me but that is far as I can go. I am not wure what tranny connections are in the engine bay. There are only a few and they are on the unit itsself.

Ed,

Thanks for reply.

The UK system of measuring octane is different to that in the US, so 'regular' in the US would equate to '95 octane' in the UK. I always use 'super unleaded (98 octane)', AKA 'supreme' in the US - it's the same thing even though there's a difference of 10 or so in the numerical value. (I once sent an email to Shell asking them to explain the difference in scientific terms, but they ignored my email.) In any case, leaner fuel would cause pinking (or pinging), not the other way round. I take on board your comments re. the wiring harness in the trunk; funnily enough I have prevented any problem with that before it has started by re-routing the cable so that it does not get damaged. However, I really don't think that's the issue here, it is definitely heat-related, as when I experienced the harsh shifting the auxiliary fan was running as well, as if it just couldn't cope with the heat. The a/c was on too, which also impairs the engine's cooling performance. I was thinking more in terms of an over-pressurized tranny or something like that. As I said, 99% of the time it's fine, it's just that in exceptionally hot and humid conditions it lacks its usual seamlessness. Fluid level in the box is maybe slightly high, up to the bead when very hot. But it takes such a small amount to show a big difference on the gauge that I wasn't too worried by this.

Cheers,

Rich