Ect Switch

If you do a search here, you'll find some discussions about the ECT switch. I have noticed the car does respond more with less accelerator input, and the shifting logic changes also. I can feel it downshift in the power mode when I brake, but in normal I don't feel that at all. I have also noticed and come to really like the transmission will hold a gear much better when going into the twisty section of road. When I am just about to clip an apex, the transmission seems to just be happy to stay in gear even when I come off the throttle all the way, so when I press on the throttle coming out it just picks up where it left off and keeps everything really smooth. It took a few times to get used to it, but now I have come to really appreciate some of those little changes.

If you do a search here, you'll find some discussions about the ECT switch. I have noticed the car does respond more with less accelerator input, and the shifting logic changes also. I can feel it downshift in the power mode when I brake, but in normal I don't feel that at all. I have also noticed and come to really like the transmission will hold a gear much better when going into the twisty section of road. When I am just about to clip an apex, the transmission seems to just be happy to stay in gear even when I come off the throttle all the way, so when I press on the throttle coming out it just picks up where it left off and keeps everything really smooth. It took a few times to get used to it, but now I have come to really appreciate some of those little changes.

Thanks Smooth1,

Exactly what I was looking for. I tried the search but it didn't work for me. Do you need to be a "Gold Member" to search? Additionally, I'll contact administrator.

Thanks again,

Kona

no the search feature works for everyone. I do concede the fact that you have to have 4 letters or more to do a search for some reason, which makes ECT a harder search. Try "transmission control" in the 06-08 IS 250 / 350 topic forum.

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed!!! The PWR mode does a fine job of “assuming” what you are going to do next. Try breaking suddenly from 70mph after a sustained romp at 70mph (where legal). Transmission will normally drop and hold waiting for you to hit the accelerator to return to your original speed. They did a great job of observing how drivers act, where the transmission should be in a variety of scenarios, and then programming this mode around them.

And it learns from the driver as well???:::

“…The ECT-i computer also has a limited ability to adjust for transmission wear and to learn and respond to a person's driving behaviour. (based on the resulting engine input conditions).”

But that aside, the greatest feature of the PWR mode is that it holds the engine within the sweet spot of its power curve. Meaning, we don’t have to wait for the transmission to downshift to the optimum gear to deliver the desired power (response) at the current speed.

Great discussion here:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=46602&hl=

Agreed!!! The PWR mode does a fine job of “assuming” what you are going to do next. Try breaking suddenly from 70mph after a sustained romp at 70mph (where legal). Transmission will normally drop and hold waiting for you to hit the accelerator to return to your original speed. They did a great job of observing how drivers act, where the transmission should be in a variety of scenarios, and then programming this mode around them.

And it learns from the driver as well???:::

“…The ECT-i computer also has a limited ability to adjust for transmission wear and to learn and respond to a person's driving behaviour. (based on the resulting engine input conditions).”

But that aside, the greatest feature of the PWR mode is that it holds the engine within the sweet spot of its power curve. Meaning, we don’t have to wait for the transmission to downshift to the optimum gear to deliver the desired power (response) at the current speed.

Great discussion here:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=46602&hl=

Ya the ECT makes a night and day diff

what I don't understand is why they didn't just put a regular manual in the high end model(350). I mean if they wanna it make it powerful why not make it fun to drive as well? One other problem I have with the auto is that they give you these paddles to give u an impression of it being a racer but it really has the slowest shifts ever - the response is terrible in S mode. There is only one solution to this - put in a dual-clutch transmission instead of a regular auto. Like VW did with DSG...they have a similar system on the ISF so they need to put that on the regular models as well. But yeah the ECT switch is great, turns the car into what it is supposed to be.

It's better to keep it in the Normal mode for pure straight line acceleration. The best 1/4 mile times are alway done in normal mode. I guess the shifting RPM points change at WOT which actually hurts the overall ET.

Obviously, the ECT mode was intended for going through the twisties and what not.

Regards,

There is only one solution to this - put in a dual-clutch transmission instead of a regular auto. Like VW did with DSG...they have a similar system on the ISF so they need to put that on the regular models as well. But yeah the ECT switch is great, turns the car into what it is supposed to be.

Is-F doesn't use a sequential manual gearbox. It's still an auto, just a very fast one.

It's better to keep it in the Normal mode for pure straight line acceleration. The best 1/4 mile times are alway done in normal mode. I guess the shifting RPM points change at WOT which actually hurts the overall ET.

Obviously, the ECT mode was intended for going through the twisties and what not.

Regards,

Could you please expand on this?

Your afirmation sounds counterintuitive with what ECT Power stands for and I am very curious about it. Thanks

The information is on another forum. Again the WOT shiftpoints change for some reason which hurts the ET. Normal mode allows for a few 100 rpm higher shift point when going through the gears. I can't image why they would do this other then it being some soft of software mistake.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...p;highlight=ECT

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showpost.p...mp;postcount=38

Regards,

Normal mode seems to favor the 1/4 mile. What about 0-60? It may be different becaus eyou won't get past 3rd gear.

Why is that? If it shifts at redline, why would you want to shift earlier with the PWR mode? Of course only if you're using WOT