65k And No Navigation?

Was at the dealer last Friday for a part and as I left I went through the showroom and looked for the LS and there was one near the door so I walked around it to look at the sticker. $65,xxx and when I looked inside I was shocked to see no navigation system.

I went over to the drivers side and as I did a salesmen and I guess customer came over so I split since I would of looked like a jerk standing there but the salesmen said 'it's like this one but yours will have nav. this one doesn't...' and I kinda laughed as I left.

I am not sure what other options it had but was surprised not to see the nav system. On the 98-00 LS models I like it without nav since it ruined the look, in my opinion. The newer ones though are so nice on the inside that the nav system seems like a focal point of the whole thing. H

ow much is nav as an option?

The dealers in this area have several cars in their inventory without Nav. I would say 30% of their inventories don't have the factory Nav in them. I think a lot of people prefer the new portable versions that are available these days. They are excellent units and are much easier and less expensive to keep updated. I have one and move it between 3 cars and wouldn't be without it.

I'm seeing those more and more now and prices have dropped a ton.

I retrofitted navi in my 7 and I like it but to be honest I mainly did it for the look. I have the 4:3 screen which means half the unit is screen and the other half is buttons for the audio/navigation system. The other option is a 16:9 which is all screen but those cost a lot and I would rather put money into some other stuff. It is hard to justify some stuff that pricey and therein lies the factory unit in the LS. Maybe some people don't want to be bothered by it which I can totally understand. Especially when you have to hit ACCEPTs so much and have it talking. Whenever I need it to find something I will put in the address and have the british gal (my unit is Euro) guide me but it can be a bit stressful. I am trying to find where I am going and then all of the sudden I hear here start yelling. All in good fun I guess. I have not used that feature in a couple months but the last month I've been driving the LS.

Was at the dealer last Friday for a part and as I left I went through the showroom and looked for the LS and there was one near the door so I walked around it to look at the sticker. $65,xxx and when I looked inside I was shocked to see no navigation system.

I went over to the drivers side and as I did a salesmen and I guess customer came over so I split since I would of looked like a jerk standing there but the salesmen said 'it's like this one but yours will have nav. this one doesn't...' and I kinda laughed as I left.

I am not sure what other options it had but was surprised not to see the nav system. On the 98-00 LS models I like it without nav since it ruined the look, in my opinion. The newer ones though are so nice on the inside that the nav system seems like a focal point of the whole thing. H

I think the word is getting around that you can't use the Lexus Nav system while moving. If I'd have known I wouldn't have gotten the car!

The Nav system is part of a package including bluetooth, backup camera, XM satellite radio.

MSRP package cost in an '08 was $3,115.

Whit

You haven't been able to use Lexus nav systems while moving since Lexus started having nav systems in their cars in 1998. Its not a new development, and the word isn't "getting out". Many other manufacturers also limit functionality while moving...and it will eventually be everyone. I've said that until I'm blue in the face, but the whiners don't want to hear it...they want to whine.

Anyways, Lexus keeps a non-nav option car on every model line, mainly for older buyers who don't want the nav. The vast majority of LS460s ship with nav. Its more common without it in markets with older buyers....Florida, Texas, Arizona...

Many other manufacturers also limit functionality while moving...and it will eventually be everyone. I've said that until I'm blue in the face, but the whiners don't want to hear it...they want to whine.

What other manufacturers limit functionality while moving? How about Mercedes? How about BMW?

There is a NAV Override from Prestigious Society that allows you to do everything with the NAV System while the car is moving; nothing is locked out: Access Telephone book, Dial a number, Choose POI's, Add or change Destination, Watch DVD's, etc.

Of course, while in motion, these options should only be used by your passenger(s), for obvious safety reasons.

What other manufacturers limit functionality while moving? How about Mercedes? How about BMW?

They don't...but there are other manufacturers in the world.

Infiniti (all Nissan vehicles)

Cadillac (all GM vehicles)

Lincoln (all Ford vehicles)

Saab

Jeep (all Chrysler products actually)

Volvo

Mazda

Range Rover

In fact...I'd venture to say the only companies really that DON'T lock out nav functions when moving are German...and Acura. The vast majority of cars on the road have nav systems that are locked out from manual input when moving.

As a matter of fact, some aftermarket hard installed navigation systems are designed to lock-out when the vehicle is moving too.

Its just a matter of time, the US road !Removed! will make it a requirement soon.

I don't like it any more than you do, but its not the end of the world and its a reality in the marketplace and not just on Lexus vehicles. Railing against it will get you nowhere because its something thats beyond you or even customer satisfaction as a whole. At least Lexus sells their models without navigation if it bothers you so much...a lot of companies don't anymore.

So anyone that disagrees with you is a 'whiner'?

Not at all, but people who make snide remarks about something that they can't do anything about in threads that are not on the topic of their complaint really because they're kicking themselves for not adequately researching and testing the features of a vehicle before commiting $70,000 to its purchase are whiners, yes.

There's a thread for this topic, discuss it in there. Don't turn every thread in here that mentions the word "navigation" into a whine fest over the lockout...the lockout thats been there for a decade.

Navigation is an option on the LS just as its an option on the Civic...I don't see your point?

Navigation is available on the ES at $20k less than the LS, but that doesn't mean the LS is automatically going to have it. The LS is significantly more car than the Civic, whether it has navigation or not.

Personally, even though I think being locked out of a navigation unit is frustrating, I think it's a good idea. If people can't seem to drive safely with a phone to their ear, how in the world can they possibly be more responsible with trying to type in an address on a tiny computer screen while going 70 mph? I have a garmin nuvi' 200, and I too am guilty of allowing it to distract me with messing with it while driving, simply because I don't want to pull over to do it. But I have gotten much better about it, and rarely mess with it anymore while driving. However, it is attached to the windshield, not down below in the console stack, so I can see through my tweaking of the screen, unlike the console stack versions.

Even though it's frustrating, it's there for a reason, a GOOD reason....keep you alive! I'd rather be lost and alive, then dead "or responsible for someone else's death" and on-time, any day of the week. A $65k car can kill just as easily as a $15k car, there is no distinction between the two under that situation. Dead, is, dead.

When I put navi in my 7 series I had the euro navigation computer which meant *TADA* no except screen. Months later when I had the car coded for nav by the dealer I got in and looked down to see 'WARNING...' D'oh! I actually don't mind that part at all, honestly. Before I would get in and start the car and have to wait for it to load. Now I hit accept and everything is up. A lot of times I don't even hit accept and drive home with the warning on still. How much did I pay for all those parts? :huh:

I can use it though anytime I want BUT it does not offer a lot of the cooler stuff the Lexus does. I will normally enter the address before I start the car so I am not fiddling with it when I am driving.

Couldn't Lexus configure it into the passenger seat sensor so if that is occupied free it up for use by the pass?

I've always wondered that too, but for some reason none of the manufacturers that lockout nav functions when moving do that...probably since it would be easy to circumvent the issue by putting aheavy object in the passenger seat.

A question for those who did the Nav-lockout by-pass.....if you performed the by-pass via cutting wires or installing aftermarket kits, do you lose your factory inertia sensor also? So for instance if your Nav loses signal inside a tunnel, you won't have the inertia guidance to estimate your location based on your speed and steering wheel inputs.

RE: "I think the word is getting around that you can't use the Lexus Nav system while moving. If I'd have known I wouldn't have gotten the car!"

I just took delivery of my first Lexus, 2008 LS460 with Navigation last Thursday. Just now learning the in/out... I was able to use voice command to navigate while driving.

*** I'm Loving the new Lexus!!! ****

It also seems to be a function of where the car is sold. I honestly have yet to see a non-Nav equipped LS460 (or LS430 or almost any Lexus for that matter) here in Southern California. However where my mom lives in Philly trying to find a Prius or a Camry with the nav system was a big deal; basically they said that a Camry Hybrid with a nav system was probably a 2-3 month wait. I wonder if the Lexus allocation is similar.

I'm sure Toyota/Lexus allocates the cars with and without Nav to where they think they will sell. Also while you can spend $65k and not get the nav system (should you not want it) on an LS460 or you can spend $80k+ for a 7 series or S-Class and get the nav whether you want it or not (and the Idrive/command system but that's another topic). Like SW says there are probably buyers who just don't want it and the fuss of having to use the touchscreen for other non-navigation related functions. Also it's pretty much included or required for almost every options package so I'm actually surprised that there were other options on the LS460 without the Nav package.

I think the nav is standard in the 460L? Also you can certainly use the system while moving; most of the functions that are locked out of the touchscreen are still available through voice command.

Anyways, Lexus keeps a non-nav option car on every model line, mainly for older buyers who don't want the nav. The vast majority of LS460s ship with nav. Its more common without it in markets with older buyers....Florida, Texas, Arizona...

• 3 weeks later...

I was pretty shocked as well when I saw one without navigation for the first time.