Extended Warranty On A Lexus ... Are You Kidding?

3son_dad

I have never been into extended warranties. I purchased one for a Ford Excursion and I think it barely paid for itself. (I still have the Excursion). Two years ago I was driving a Range Rover and wanted something more reliable. I purchased a '01 LS 430 with navigation, etc... after pondering should I purchase or not, I decided to purchased an $1800 extended warranty for three years or 36K miles just because of all the electronics being controlled by one unit. Well we have put 33K on the ODO and have not had one issue. My wife was driving home the other night and the Navi went blank.... sure enough it was bye bye Navi ... So it is now at a Lexus Dealer having a new unit install for $50 out of my pocket instead of $3,000 (Or you can look at it as I saved 1,200 by buying the warranty!!!)

I thought for sure I would not use the warranty ... but boy did it pay for itself!!!

Oh yeah they pay for themselves instantly at times like yours did. I had a Mercury one on my 7 and I would take it in for whatever and the dealer would find other stuff to fix while I was there. They did a lot but some of the costly stuff was a driveshaft, cooling system almost everywhere (except for the heater core which needs it but they wouldnt do it) as well as my climate control unit which was $600. When that one expired we got another one that we get our momey back from if we don't use which is cool.

Weird it costs so much for yours. Normally when they go like that it is the computer. Did your dervice ticket say they put a new comp in? You had no problems with the RR? A guy from my BMW board made a video of his he was so *BLEEP*ed with all the problems. He had the Ford or India version though. It had like 3k, too!

Yep, I bought the extended warranty for the first time ever because of the nav screen too, I had some other claims (it was worth it) but no nav failure. I'm on my own now lol...

• 4 weeks later...
I have never been into extended warranties. I purchased one for a Ford Excursion and I think it barely paid for itself. (I still have the Excursion). Two years ago I was driving a Range Rover and wanted something more reliable. I purchased a '01 LS 430 with navigation, etc... after pondering should I purchase or not, I decided to purchased an $1800 extended warranty for three years or 36K miles just because of all the electronics being controlled by one unit. Well we have put 33K on the ODO and have not had one issue. My wife was driving home the other night and the Navi went blank.... sure enough it was bye bye Navi ... So it is now at a Lexus Dealer having a new unit install for $50 out of my pocket instead of $3,000 (Or you can look at it as I saved 1,200 by buying the warranty!!!)

I thought for sure I would not use the warranty ... but boy did it pay for itself!!!

What company did you go with on the warranty. I am looking at Wynn's for a 5 yr/100k mile; 0 ded plan that includes Nav for $1900

• 1 month later...

I bought my 2002 LS430 pre-owned from Lexus in 2006, got the extended warranty, and it MORE than paid for itself over and over, maybe threefold by now. It runs out this April 09 and I'm really worried about what else might go wrong at that point. I love the car, but they've repaired all kinds of things. Is it worth it to get another extension on the extended warranty? I only have 73,300 miles on it at this point, drive maybe 1000 miles/month, Southern California weather. They're saying maybe $2900 for another 2 years/24000 miles, which seems like a lot. Is there someplace else to get it cheaper perhaps? I've always gone with the dealer warranty, any experience with private ones?

Thanks so much,

Adam

What company did you go with on the warranty. I am looking at Wynn's for a 5 yr/100k mile; 0 ded plan that includes Nav for $1900

Is there someplace else to get it cheaper perhaps? I've always gone with the dealer warranty, any experience with private ones?

The ONE time I have ever purchased an auto extended warranty was with my Honda S2000. I figured there is a convertible top, high performance engine, etc., so maybe it is worth it. I thought I was smart purchasing a 3rd party policy for several hundred dollars less than the manufacturer policy. First, the warranty company, one of the largest in the US at the time, went bankrupt about 3-4 years later. Second, I have never had a single problem (covered by warranty or otherwise) in my 8 years of ownership. My conclusion: purchasing an auto extended warranty is a waste of money, and if someone wanted to buy one anyway, I would strongly recommend a manufacturer policy (less likely to go bankrupt, unless it is a US auto manufacturer!!)

I own a '99 LS that has never needed anything but standard maintenance.