2000 Es 300 Check Engine Light / O2 Sensors

I recently purchased a 2000 es 300 with 178000 miles. The car is a one owner vehicle in A-1 condition and has full service records which show it has been well maintained. All was great until the check engine light appeared. I took to the dealer where all service has been completed and they claim the oxygen sensors show the catalytic converter needs to be replaced. $1211.00 was the quote.

Are there any options there than shelling out the $1200? Can an independent shop do this at abetter price?

Thank you in advance for your help,

JSO

I recently purchased a 2000 es 300 with 178000 miles. The car is a one owner vehicle in A-1 condition and has full service records which show it has been well maintained. All was great until the check engine light appeared. I took to the dealer where all service has been completed and they claim the oxygen sensors show the catalytic converter needs to be replaced. $1211.00 was the quote.

Are there any options there than shelling out the $1200? Can an independent shop do this at abetter price?

JSO

Yes, you can purchase a universal cat and have it installed for less than $300. $1200 is way too much to pay for it.

JSO

1200 is a kind of rob believe me...

I changed my O2 sensor by myself. It's a very easy job if it's at the front. 1hr labor i guess and the sensor is only 160 roughly.