Need Advice Moving From Bmw To Lexus

Greetings, estimeed Lexus owners,

As you can imagine from my handle name, I am a big fan of German cars. I have owned a Porsche 911, an Audi 100S (blah!), and two BMW 325I's. I have been a BMW owner for the past 11 years and I am now looking into the possibility of getting a 2007, 328xi. Despite what people have read, my Bimmers have been rather reliable with the occasional electrical failures (window regulator, seat heater, heat blower motor, etc.) that I would think would be pretty normal failures in just about any make of car, especially with the extreme temperatures (hot and cold) that we experience in the Northeast.

The two things that really bother me about the newer BMW's are the run-flat tires and no oil dipstick. The other thing that bothers me is BMW's assertion that the transmissions come with "life-time" fluid. I think that is BS and I change the fluid every 30 or 40K.

Anyway, the reason why I am here is, please tell me why I should switch to Lexus. I come here in good faith and am genuinely interested in hearing some informed comments. I plan to test drive both the IS and ES Lexus series. I have already driven the 328xi and it is just an incredible ride.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Joe

As you can imagine from my handle name, I am a big fan of German cars. I have owned a Porsche 911, an Audi 100S (blah!), and two BMW 325I's. I have been a BMW owner for the past 11 years and I am now looking into the possibility of getting a 2007, 328xi. Despite what people have read, my Bimmers have been rather reliable with the occasional electrical failures (window regulator, seat heater, heat blower motor, etc.) that I would think would be pretty normal failures in just about any make of car, especially with the extreme temperatures (hot and cold) that we experience in the Northeast.

The two things that really bother me about the newer BMW's are the run-flat tires and no oil dipstick. The other thing that bothers me is BMW's assertion that the transmissions come with "life-time" fluid. I think that is BS and I change the fluid every 30 or 40K.

Anyway, the reason why I am here is, please tell me why I should switch to Lexus. I come here in good faith and am genuinely interested in hearing some informed comments. I plan to test drive both the IS and ES Lexus series. I have already driven the 328xi and it is just an incredible ride.

Best regards,

Joe

Well, first the bad news... the IS also has a lifetime transmission. You can't change the fluid. I don't mean they don't recommend it, I mean it's physically impossible.

It does have normal tires and an oil dipstick though :)

It also has a vastly nicer and more modern interior, and vastly better reliability. The "common problems" you list on your BMWs are certainly common to BMWs, but not Lexuses. A common 'problem' on a lexus is "the brakes produce too much dust" to give you an idea.

It won't have the magical road feel that everyone raves about with BMWs. But it'll still handle well, and if you want performance the IS350 is a -lot- cheaper than the 335 with similar options.

If you're looking at a 250 it won't be uberfast, but it'll still handle well and be a lot cheaper than a comparable BMW. (and unless you're getting a 335 or M3 none of the 3 series cars are fast either)

The ES is FWD, I can't imagine someone who is used to how a porsche or a BMW handles will enjoy driving it... it's comfortable and nice, but it's not going to excite anyone.

When I ended up car hunting I initally was going to look at the 3 series, the IS350, the G35, and the Acura TL-S. The BMW dropped off the list first when I saw how insane they jack the price up for any sort of options and when I saw they didn't seem to have moved past 1995 on interior design or materials.

However, since you've owned a lot of german cars, that might be the kinda spartan inside you like.

Ultimately, test drive the IS, and see how you like it... it sounds like you're looking for AWD, which locks you into the 250... too slow for me personally, but apart from the power difference the rest of the car is pretty similar between 250 and 350 so you'll still get all the other perks of the vehicle which are many.

Best regards,

Joe

I also have owned German cars and considered the C230 and the 325. The one thing that could not live with was the run flat tires along with the smallish rims on BMWs

Here is mi thinking, so I pick up a nail, re-inflate the tire with the portable compressor (no excuse for not having one in the trunk) or even rplace the tire, then drive past 20 gas stations tha could have repaired my tire for 12 bucks on the way the the BMW dealer to pay whatever the say for a new one? I think they are a trap. I bet that if you like german cars you are deffinitely a car guy and must have turned a few nuts in your days. My IS has 18 inch wheels protected by a rib in the Turanzas (they work). The run flat tires are just a sucker trap, in my opinion.

I read somewhere that BMW had to leave the suspension mushier to compensate for the stiffer tire. Dont do it maaaan

I have found over the years it's just more about design and build philosophies. The German car mfgrs. just seem to have different goals than the Japanese, who again have different goals than American car mfgrs. Americans build sledge hammers, Germans build clocks, Italians build artworks, and Japanese build scalpes. It depends on your tastes and which catagory suites you.

My biggest pet peave with the BMW is the way the steering wheel feels in my hands. And I really don't like the current line 3 series styling. I liked the previous body style much more. MB is to stodgy for me, and anything I start to like comes with a huge price tag. Audi has been a huge dissapointment over the years, and Volkswagen is just no where near enouph car. Cadillac only has the CTS which is a huge car no matter what, and American car mfgrs have nothing to offer in the luxury sedan market at all.

I have found over the years it's just more about design and build philosophies. The German car mfgrs. just seem to have different goals than the Japanese, who again have different goals than American car mfgrs. Americans build sledge hammers, Germans build clocks, Italians build artworks, and Japanese build scalpes. It depends on your tastes and which catagory suites you.

My biggest pet peave with the BMW is the way the steering wheel feels in my hands. And I really don't like the current line 3 series styling. I liked the previous body style much more. MB is to stodgy for me, and anything I start to like comes with a huge price tag. Audi has been a huge dissapointment over the years, and Volkswagen is just no where near enouph car. Cadillac only has the CTS which is a huge car no matter what, and American car mfgrs have nothing to offer in the luxury sedan market at all.

Mr. Smooth1, I agree 99%. However I am not sure what you mean by VW not being enough car but I admit they seem to be like in a separate german category, still they are reliable well "german" designed cars (or at least used to be?) I had an 84 Scirocco that finally sold in 2000 after 210K miles and it would not quit going. Still VW seems to be usually out of place or behind the rest but have a strong following.

Again in the BMW/Lexus debate, I am not sorry at all for my choice. JA, No Oil dipstick. They are nuts !!!!

Mr. Smooth1, I agree 99%. However I am not sure what you mean by VW not being enough car but I admit they seem to be like in a separate german category, still they are reliable well "german" designed cars (or at least used to be?) I had an 84 Scirocco that finally sold in 2000 after 210K miles and it would not quit going. Still VW seems to be usually out of place or behind the rest but have a strong following.

Again in the BMW/Lexus debate, I am not sorry at all for my choice. JA, No Oil dipstick. They are nuts !!!!

Your 84 VW might have been reliable, but that was about the last time they made one like that.

VW has ranked in/near the bottom of the JD Power long term dependability study every year for a good decade or so now... their reliability is -horrible- and has been for quite some time.

When it comes to VW, it seems, imo, that one, they have an identity crisis on thier hands. 15 years ago they had started getting thier own look, and even though it was somewhat quirky, it had potential. In the previuos body style to the current line up, it started to come together, then they switched direction altogether and now look like a meek Audi. What happened?

What I meant about not being enouph car is, the only one I would have liked is the Jetta RGT. But that's not even available here. A 600 hp. twin turbo 3.2 liter V6 is my idea of a fun daily commute back and fourth to work! Low 11 sec. quarter mile times are no joke! That's a serious car. But I think even if that car was available, it would have been near 80-100K dollars. Which brings the the Nissan GTR in, and well, they just aren't enouph car to match that. Looking at the R32, 240 hp, 0-60 in 5.8 sec. and 18/23 MPG with premium required, optioned out your looking at around 35K for that. And it's a tiny car! 35k!!?? your right in Lexus territory. Just not enouph car to justify that. You see where I'm coming from? Everytime you look at the VW, and you look at other cars in that price range, you just wish they offered more, or priced it less, as other cars seem to just be over it. Look at the Eos. Does that look like a 40K car? I sure didn't think so. It reminded me more of a Paseo or older Celica. I know, folding hardtop convertables are expensive, but to think you could have an IS 350 or a Volkswagen Eos for almost the same money just boggles the mind!

I had the same thoughts as smooth1 when I was doing the research for my current vehicle. I looked at every luxury/near luxury sports sedan (preferably a compact sedan) and did multiple comparisons as well as test drives. I got feed back from friends who own some of these vehicles as well. My choices were all over the map from

BMW 3 series - Pros: Good road feel

Cons: Minimal interior and lux amenities for the price, bad reliability

Acura TL-S - Pros: Fast, Handles Good, All Inclusive Price, Nice Interior, User Friendly Features, Good Gas Mileage

Cons: FWD, Engine Pings, Interior Rattles, Constant Warranty Claims, Made in USA

Infiniti G-Sedan - Pros: Fast, Great Handling, Sports car feel, Well priced, Reliable Brand, Made in Japan

Cons: Poor Milage, Exterior Styling not to my liking

Audi S4 - Pros: Nice Exterior Styling, Compact, Fast, Decent Handling

Cons: Reliability, Gas Mileage, Interior Design

Cadillac CTS - Pros: Nice Rejuvinated Look From Past Designs, Fast

Cons: Poor Gas Mileage, Relaibility???, Made in USA, Interior Design, Everything is an Option

and Becomes Overpriced When Comparably Equipped

Lexus IS250 - Pros: Price, Reliability, Made in Japan, Nice Interior/Exterior, Handles Good, User Friendly, Good Gas Mileage

Cons: Slower Engine

Lexus IS350 - Pros: Fast, Reliability, Made in Japan, Nice Interior/Exterior, Handles Good, User Friendly, Good Gas Mileage for 306HP

Cons: A Bit Pricey with the Nav

In the end my choices came down to either the Acura TL-S, or the Lexus IS350. In my mind, I had already decided that the better car overall was the Lexus IS350 and for the price it is a lot of car. I also picked the Lexus over the Acura because the brand is more conservative than Acura, but I was ready to buy an Acura TL-S because it was a very good value for the money since it comes fully equipped and I was hoping that all the bugs would be worked out since this was the last year for the current design. I also figured that I didn't really need 300+HP and I was hoping I would get a car with good power that offered decent gas mileage. But no Acura Dealer I went to had a Black/Black and I didn't feel like waiting so it just wasn't meant to be. Within a week of this, one of the Lexus Dealers I visited called me to let me know that they just recieved a Black/Black IS350 with all the options I wanted and they asked if I would like to come back and view the vehicle. I went to see the car, was the first to drive it, and purchased that same day. So far, I am happy with the vehicle and am getting to know it. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase and I hope to keep this car for years to come.

I agree--citing to ONE example car which is 25 years old is absolutely no comparison to the current reliability of ANY car sold today.

Best regards,

Joe

Why would you want a bunch of total strangers, biased toward Lexus as members of a Lexus forum, to "convince" you to get one? If you are going to spend that much money on a car, do some research, test drive, and decide if it's right for you. Otherwise, you may get stuck with a car that's just not right for you.

After many years of car ownership...all makes, all kinds, I have come to conclusion of what works best for me. I found out I like the pure drivability and fun of the German cars, but the reliability & refinement of Japanese. So I split time between my CaymanS and IS350. Now I realize it took time to both understand this balance and be in the appropriate financial position...but that's where I am.

Best regards,

Joe

Why would you want a bunch of total strangers, biased toward Lexus as members of a Lexus forum, to "convince" you to get one? If you are going to spend that much money on a car, do some research, test drive, and decide if it's right for you. Otherwise, you may get stuck with a car that's just not right for you.

Yes, you're absolutely right. I did some research and I have found that no car is infallible, even the mighty Lexus. Just reading the forum here, people are reporting paint problems, CPU problems, rattles, transmission problem, etc., so to me, my romantic image of Lexus as the type of car you buy and just worry about oil changes is completely shattered. In all fairness, I test drove both the IS250 and IS350, and although the 350 has some impressive power, the handling just was not there for me; it felt very much detached and really no road feel at all, and on top of all that, I don't know when was the last time the gentleman above me who commented that the BMW are spartans by comparison, I found the interior too "plastified" and quite bland compared to the newer 3ers. Granted, you can get more toys for the money, but I don't drive for the toys, I drive for the sheer excitement. I guess I'm going to have to live with no spare tire and no oil dipstick, but, knowing how BMW usually is a trendsetter, this might carry on to all other makers just like the "lifetime transmission fluid" did (horrible idea, BTW).

Anyway, thank you all for your replies; congratulations on your purchases that have made you happy and since being happy with what we drive is all that really matters, I think I'll stick with the devil I know.

Best regards,

Joe

I had the same thoughts as smooth1 when I was doing the research for my current vehicle. I looked at every luxury/near luxury sports sedan (preferably a compact sedan) and did multiple comparisons as well as test drives. I got feed back from friends who own some of these vehicles as well. My choices were all over the map from

BMW 3 series - Pros: Good road feel

Cons: Minimal interior and lux amenities for the price, bad reliability

Acura TL-S - Pros: Fast, Handles Good, All Inclusive Price, Nice Interior, User Friendly Features, Good Gas Mileage

Cons: FWD, Engine Pings, Interior Rattles, Constant Warranty Claims, Made in USA

Infiniti G-Sedan - Pros: Fast, Great Handling, Sports car feel, Well priced, Reliable Brand, Made in Japan

Cons: Poor Milage, Exterior Styling not to my liking

Audi S4 - Pros: Nice Exterior Styling, Compact, Fast, Decent Handling

Cons: Reliability, Gas Mileage, Interior Design

Cadillac CTS - Pros: Nice Rejuvinated Look From Past Designs, Fast

Cons: Poor Gas Mileage, Relaibility???, Made in USA, Interior Design, Everything is an Option

and Becomes Overpriced When Comparably Equipped

Lexus IS250 - Pros: Price, Reliability, Made in Japan, Nice Interior/Exterior, Handles Good, User Friendly, Good Gas Mileage

Cons: Slower Engine

Lexus IS350 - Pros: Fast, Reliability, Made in Japan, Nice Interior/Exterior, Handles Good, User Friendly, Good Gas Mileage for 306HP

Cons: A Bit Pricey with the Nav

In the end my choices came down to either the Acura TL-S, or the Lexus IS350. In my mind, I had already decided that the better car overall was the Lexus IS350 and for the price it is a lot of car. I also picked the Lexus over the Acura because the brand is more conservative than Acura, but I was ready to buy an Acura TL-S because it was a very good value for the money since it comes fully equipped and I was hoping that all the bugs would be worked out since this was the last year for the current design. I also figured that I didn't really need 300+HP and I was hoping I would get a car with good power that offered decent gas mileage. But no Acura Dealer I went to had a Black/Black and I didn't feel like waiting so it just wasn't meant to be. Within a week of this, one of the Lexus Dealers I visited called me to let me know that they just recieved a Black/Black IS350 with all the options I wanted and they asked if I would like to come back and view the vehicle. I went to see the car, was the first to drive it, and purchased that same day. So far, I am happy with the vehicle and am getting to know it. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase and I hope to keep this car for years to come.

OMG that last sentence scared me off my seat. Purchased on the same day, you must have paid quite dearly for that car. No matter how much I like a car, i will haggle with the dealer until they drop dead on the floor. Then i pick up his lifeless arm and sign the paper on their behave. That's how i got my 350.

I tested all the cars mentioned above in AWD form, plus a few more (Subaru LGT, Volvo T5 AWD). The Germans were overpriced, underequipped and had horrid interiors. Plus I hated MBs attitude when I asked to test drive a c230 4 matic like they were doing me a favor. In the end it came to the g35x and the IS250 awd. I chose the latter for it's smooth ride, quiet interior, and better fuel economy. The IS may not feel as road worthy as the 3 series, put it turns in some of the best slalom times in it's class.

BTW, I have owned American and Japanese cars for 13 years in a climate as bad as Boston, and I never had a blower failure, or any of the problems you listed.

I've driven a lot of cars, and I don't understand this "excitement" people talk about.

I think I got kinda giddy when I was driving a Shelby Mustang GT, but that was because of the rumble and look. It's all peachy to me.

Have you ever had a Lamborghini Gallardo at 160 on the freeway? Excitement, let me tell ya!!!!

How do you check your oil if there is no dipstick?

There is a "dummy" indicator/warning light on the dash that lights. The Lexus' are also equipped with these dummy lights.

I applaud you for checking your oil level (presumably regularly)! Just curious, because I actually don't check the IS oil level, have you found any indication of your car burning oil?

How do you check your oil if there is no dipstick?

There is a "dummy" indicator/warning light on the dash that lights. The Lexus' are also equipped with these dummy lights.

I applaud you for checking your oil level (presumably regularly)! Just curious, because I actually don't check the IS oil level, have you found any indication of your car burning oil?

No burning. I check at every fill up (2/month). I'm already uncomfortable with 6 month oil schedule. Coming from Nissan, I was used to 5000km/3 months.

The "no service" tranny worries me too. Thank god for the 6 year powertrain warranty. Toyota has been making some flaky parts of late.

I cruise different forums often. So I went to the Bimmer forums and thought I would share this:

Bimmer Forums

Notice the thread titles." My engine is Toast! ", " Help me stop the brake rattles ", and " Pics of burnt out winddhield washer pumps". "Metallic rattle!", and "My suspension is shot after one year?".

Ahh yes, the mighty BMW.....it's just another car.

But then I found this little nugget! B)

2JZ swap into BMW 528i

And this isn't the first case of this happening. HHmmm, I guess I'll have to look around our forum to see about the BMW engines swaps into Lexus models......

I cruise different forums often. So I went to the Bimmer forums and thought I would share this:

Bimmer Forums

Notice the thread titles." My engine is Toast! ", " Help me stop the brake rattles ", and " Pics of burnt out winddhield washer pumps". "Metallic rattle!", and "My suspension is shot after one year?".

Ahh yes, the mighty BMW.....it's just another car.

But then I found this little nugget! B)

2JZ swap into BMW 528i

And this isn't the first case of this happening. HHmmm, I guess I'll have to look around our forum to see about the BMW engines swaps into Lexus models......

Why would anyone want to put a Timex movement in a Rolex ??? :lol::lol::lol: jk :D