98 Ls400 Ocv Rough Idle

gheitman

Had local Lexus dealer change both valve cover gaskets to

stop some minor leaks. After driving 5 miles away from dealership

CEL and VSC light came on. Back to dealer and he says CEL is

code p1349 bank 1 misfire............then he says only $1600 to replace main engine wire harness.

Yikes!!!!! I know it was something they did during the valve gasket

change on bank 1 (cylinders 1,3,5,7). So I look on forum and find

similar code p1349 problems that all seem to relate to the Oil Control Valve (OCV).

The car intermittintly idles real rough. I reset the CEL light and it stays out for maybe

10 miles then starts to idle rough again and the CEL and VSC light come on.

So i started troubleshooting to save the $1600. Discovered when i unpugged the left side OCV

connector the rough idle problem goes away and car runs fine. But CEL stays on.....makes

sense that the CEL is still on because left side or bank 1 Oil contro valve is not connected.

Anyway wondering if I should replace the left side OCV or just leave it unplugged.

Any thoughts out there that might help??? I guess the ECM sends a timing signal to

the OCV to adjust valve timing??? Not really sure what to do. Any help appreciated

i had a similar problem. for me it was the timing belt, both ocv's, and spark plugs. 1500 bucks because a friend of mine did it cheap. i dont know how the wiring harness could have done that the mechanic probably wants you to pay for unnecessary bull *BLEEP*

i had a similar problem. for me it was the timing belt, both ocv's, and spark plugs. 1500 bucks because a friend of mine did it cheap. i dont know how the wiring harness could have done that the mechanic probably wants you to pay for unnecessary bull *BLEEP*

[/quote

Thx for reply....going to change left OCV and go from there. Dealer is a known thief here in my town.

• 3 weeks later...

Before buying new left side OCV (oil control valve), otherwise known as VVT, sensor I

wanted to make sure OCV was bad. Noted that after resetting the CEL light

and driving car the CEL light would come back on and car would start rough idle after

about 15 minutes of driving around. The OCV is a 12 volt accuated relay that receives

its signal from the ECM. Well I noticed that the left OCV worked fine until it got hot and

then it was sticking in the open position which caused the CEL and rough idle. So I

confirmed it was a faulty left OCV. Went to lexus dealer and they said this part was

prone to failure and that lexus had redesigned the OCV and the new part is more

reliable ($123). So I changed the left OCV (simle 10mm wrench procedure) and

the car has run perfectly now for over a week. No more rough idle or CEL problem.

Highly suggest a look into left and right OCV's if you encounter intermittant rough

idles and CEL's. 1998 LS400

• 3 months later...

Can anyone point out where the OCV is? I also have a 1349 code and intermittent 300-307 codes. It idles horribly at stop lights, but acts perfectly normal on the interstate. I know there is nothing seriously wrong with the engine since it purrs like a kitten when I turn the light off with my scanner. Timing belt was done about 30k miles ago by Lexus, so I really don't think that's the problem.

I read in another VVTi failure thread that seafoam in the oil might work to move the sludge from the OCV filter, so I'm going to try that first.

Here's an engine pic for reference...

post-1461-1228759674_thumb.jpg

PS Any ideas for getting the 6qt writing off the intake housing, well, that would be nice too! :lol:

Wow, what an awesome PDF!! Thanks! I pulled my driver's side OCV, and it did have some grime on it. It appeared that the passenger's side OCV is blocked in by the throttle body, so I'm going to save that one for another day.

In case anyone is wondering, this is what the OCV looks like:

post-1461-1228775111_thumb.jpg

And, here's where the driver's side is (with a dot on the one 10mm bolt that holds it in.):

post-1461-1228775546_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Even after the seafoam flush and cleaning the oil control valve, I was still getting a very intermittent CEL for the OCVs. I flushed the oil once more using Amsoil's engine flush, and I replaced both OCVs. The OCVs have a new part number, and I did notice some design differences between the old and the new. I changed both OCVs in less than 30 minutes. I did have to unbolt the throttle body to get the rightside OCV in; the left side is an easy fit. The only difference in the two parts is that the wiring harness is at a different angle on each side.

This is what Irontoad quoted me:

L/s camshaft timing oil control valve 15340-0F010---$89.14

R/s camshaft timing oil control valve 15330-0F010---$89.14

I ordered them from Park Place instead since they have free shipping on orders over $100, so they were about $15 cheaper than at Irontoad.

post-1461-1235778586_thumb.jpg

post-1461-1235778611_thumb.jpg

While not for an LS400, check this out:

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250432

However, according to the diagram linked below, your engine may not have one because I couldn't find it listed:

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_1998_LEXU...EAGKA_1104.html

Part number 11101J should be the OCV.