Thinking Buying Lexus Gs300. Should I Buy The 98 Model Or The 2001 Mod

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I just sold my 2003 Lincoln Navigator and was thinking about buying a Lexus GS300. I had some questions. Is there a big difference between the 1998 Lexus GS300 and the 2001 GS300?

How is the ride on the 1998- 2000 models? How is the ride on the 2001-2005 models?

Has anyone driven both the 1998 model and the 2001 model? If so, is there a big difference with the ride, etc?

I know that the 1998-2000 model has older tail lights and head lights, is there any other difference in the shape of the newer model ones?

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I just sold my 2003 Lincoln Navigator and was thinking about buying a Lexus GS300. I had some questions. Is there a big difference between the 1998 Lexus GS300 and the 2001 GS300?

How is the ride on the 1998- 2000 models? How is the ride on the 2001-2005 models?

Has anyone driven both the 1998 model and the 2001 model? If so, is there a big difference with the ride, etc?

I know that the 1998-2000 model has older tail lights and head lights, is there any other difference in the shape of the newer model ones?

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The model years are the same except for some cosmetics, The only thing that will change the ride is the choice of tire and size of wheel that is on the car.

Welcome to the club :cheers:

If you come across a low mile well maintained 98-00, you are still getting a great car. I love my 01, and at the time couldn't find a newer one with lower miles. With the 01 You will get e-shift controls, I use that once a year whether i need to or not...side curtain aribags and a redo on the rear lights. Here is the laundry list of changes for the 01 models from edmunds. Any of these years would do.

GS 300 has new E-shift buttons on the steering wheel for manual control of the automatic transmission's shift points. On the safety front, standard side curtain airbags debut on both models, and a new sensor detects if the front passenger seat is unoccupied, deactivating the front passenger airbag if nobody is sitting in that seat. Additionally, a new child seat-tether restraint has been added, along with impact-detecting door locks and an emergency trunk release handle that glows in the dark inside the cargo area. Exterior changes include water-repellent front door glass, a new grille with a bigger "L" badge, revised taillights, larger exhaust pipes with stainless-steel tips and new six-spoke alloy wheels. GS 300 gets more wood trim inside the cabin.

Good luck on your search!

Welcome to the club!

If you come across a low mile well maintained 98-00, you are still getting a great car. I love my 01, and at the time couldn't find a newer one with lower miles. With the 01 You will get e-shift controls, I use that once a year whether i need to or not...side curtain aribags and a redo on the rear lights. Here is the laundry list of changes for the 01 models from edmunds. Any of these years would do.

GS 300 has new E-shift buttons on the steering wheel for manual control of the automatic transmission's shift points. On the safety front, standard side curtain airbags debut on both models, and a new sensor detects if the front passenger seat is unoccupied, deactivating the front passenger airbag if nobody is sitting in that seat. Additionally, a new child seat-tether restraint has been added, along with impact-detecting door locks and an emergency trunk release handle that glows in the dark inside the cargo area. Exterior changes include water-repellent front door glass, a new grille with a bigger "L" badge, revised taillights, larger exhaust pipes with stainless-steel tips and new six-spoke alloy wheels. GS 300 gets more wood trim inside the cabin.

Good luck on your search!

Welcome to the club!

Thank you guys for the replies. I am still a little undecided on which model to get. I wanted to buy a model that I can keep for at least 3-5 years. One other question, will the 2001 model have more "power" than the earlier models?

If you can afford the 01, get the 01. The car gets refined every year as Lexus (or any manufacturer) tweaks the car as they get feedback and issues. Bodyshape-wise, they are the same. For example, the brake assist system was added in 2000. It would be in the 01 (and 00) but not in the 98-99 if you picked the earlier models.

I bought my 98 in 97 as an early adapter. I've been lucky that the car has had no major issues. Still, I would go for a later year if I can afford it to hedge my bets.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 98 and now have an 01. They are pretty much the same. I bought 01 tail lights and rims to make it look like an 01. The one big thing I miss is the headers on my 98. In 01 they switched to a regular manifold. The 01 has bigger exhaust tips that look nice and some more safety features.

I had a 98 and now have an 01. They are pretty much the same. I bought 01 tail lights and rims to make it look like an 01. The one big thing I miss is the headers on my 98. In 01 they switched to a regular manifold. The 01 has bigger exhaust tips that look nice and some more safety features.

I HAVE A 1998 GS300 124K MILES AND IT'S BEEN PROBLEMS AFTER PROBLEMS, LEXUS OF ORLANDO SERVICE IS JUST DUMB THEY CANNOT FIGURE IT OUT. I HAVE JUST BEEN SPENDING MONEY. FOR A HIGHT END CAR AS A LEXUS GS300, ONE SHOULD NOT BE HAVING SO MANY PROBLEMS. MY ADVISE IS TO BUY A HONDA.