Abs Noise ?

coming to a stop or sometimes at idle, i called the dealer and they said it was

normal, but i was not convinced with the answer. i would say the noise comes

from the driver side front. i havent really pinpointed the times that it does it but

i most notice it when coming to a stop.

Does it sound like a gurgling wheezing sound? if it is, check and see if your're AC button is on. If it is, it's the drive belt. I have the same problem. I took it to the dealer and they fixed it. Since it's still covered by the warranty. Drive your car without turning off the AC and see if you can hear the sound. It's usually around the drivers side. Good Luck.

I agree with Rush48. This car does not have a vacuum assisted brake booster, but rather an electrical pump to create hydraulic brake pressure. Owing to the system design, I would assume that it is normal, yet bothersome. Why would Lexus, the king of the smooth and silent, utilize such a noisy, obtrusive system in their vehicles? Beats me!

On the other hand, here is where I too have a problem. When this pumps kicks in, usually after using the brakes every 5th. or 6th. time, it can make the car lurch forward a little. For instance, if you're moving along going say, 65MPH, and you touch the brakes....if the pump kicks in at that particular moment, the car will lurch forward slightly and then smoothly brake afterwards.

Can anyone else verify this operation? On a side note, if your pump happens to be quiet enough that you don't actually hear it, you can verify that it is kicking in when you hit the brakes. The pump draws 27 amps of battery current and will cause the headlights to dim noticibly when driving at night. You can also see this happen when you are stopped if you repetedly depress and release the brake a couple of times to cause the pump to kick in.

So, the question is...is the lurch normal? Good god, I hope not. It sure is annoying.. But on second thought, I don't even want to think about what it will take to fix it if it isn't. My dealer cost is about $1600.00 for the ABS pump assembly. Yet they offer me no assistance to verify if there is actually a problem.

I have a 2000 Platinum Series GS 300 and I too noticed the same annoying thing with this brake booster. I believe it is normal, but awfully annoying coming from lexus. Mine usually happens when i apply the brakes at low speed and I'm coming out of a corner and getting off the binders. It almost seems like there is an interlock with the brakes and the transmission and the brake booster seem to release a little late sometimes causing the car to lurch forward. Also, if I'm in park and I depress my brakes I can hear a ticking sound right by my shifting mechanism, which further reenforces the point that they are interconnected. I hope this is not a problem , as I purchased this autombile based on their tremendous reliability record.

thanks for all the response. i will however try to speak to the shop foreman

at lexus of roseville to get his take on it. besides that i also experience a harsh

shift once in a great while. very, very intermittent. thank God for warranties if

something happens to be wrong. if i get anymore info i will post it.

Hey Paul C., just a note on your post. That "ticking" sound that you mention is called brake-shift-interlock. Its' function is to prevent you from putting the car into gear without your foot on the brake. When you press the brake, a switch activates an electromagnet that releases the shifter so you can put the car into gear. Absolutely 100% normal. You can really hear in click loudly in most cars. Until you mentioned it here, I never heard it in the GS.

• 15 years later...

I have a 2000 gs300 with the abs light and brake light on Constantly and a loud annoying buzzing noise .....as soon as I turn the car on it starts and doesnt stop till I turn it off ...I have no back brakes and I have changed all abs sensors ...I have bleed the brakes I changed the abs module fuses relays axle caliper even the abs computer .....the noise is still there and I still have no back brakes ....I got it tested at a local shop and they're basically saying the computer isnt talking to the module or master cylinder.....how do I fix this ....I'm so annoyed and now broke lol please help