Telescopic Steering Column Problem!

advan7

Sup Guys,

Got my sc400 today, and well only thing that is irking me right now is how the telescopic steering column decided to stop working today. It worked when I looked at the car and was testing everything out, but today it must have known it was going to a new home. Anyways, the column will move away and towards the driver, but not up and down. When trying to make it go down, it just makes a loud gear grinding noise. I'm thinking it might be the motor, but have no clue where to look for one. Any ideas?

Ok - you say it is making noise so I assume the switch for it wasn't turned off. There is a manual switch for that thing - or is it just for the auto return? D'oh. Anyways - you can remove the plastic surround. Look real carefull at what you got. Take a screwdriver to it. I have heard of people having success taking the gear out, cleaning everything up real nice and putting some quality grease in there. Reassemble and see if it works. You hear noise, so I'll bet it is in a bind for one reason or another. Possibly just old grease and dirt. Good luck.

Yeah there is an auto switch, which pretty much just makes the wheel retract and move up to make room for when you get up, but the actual gearing or motor is screwed up. I just got the car and didn't get a chance to tear it apart yet, but I will definitely take a mallet to it and see what I can get to work hehe. Thanks for the info!!!