Power Antenna

Hi all; I replaced my broken antenna as per some excellant instructions found in these fourms. However , after the antenna goes up the motor keeps running (making a sort of grinding noise) for about 7/8 seconds. When going down it works fine. Does anybody know why the motor keeps running on the up cycle. Thanks in advance, Rodgie.

Rodgie,

Normally the antenna motor timer allows the motor to continue powering the mast or down for longer than it actually takes to do the job, simply to ensure that the mast is fully open or fully stored. When the mast reaches its fully opened or fully closed position, the clutch assembly, in the gear set of the motor assembly, will simply start slipping and give a growl/grinding sound until the timer turns the motor off. All of this is normal, and on some cars its very noisy, and others are much more quiet. You say you replaced the mast assembly. If broken pieces of the old mast's toothed nylon whip were left in the gearbox, they could be jamming up with the new mast's whip creating the noise. If this is the case, the only way to get the pieces out is to remove the assembly from the car and open up its gearbox. Been there, done that. Its not rocket science but can be fiddly, particularly if the motor and gearbox are riveted together, rather than bolted or screwed.

Rodgie,

Normally the antenna motor timer allows the motor to continue powering the mast or down for longer than it actually takes to do the job, simply to ensure that the mast is fully open or fully stored. When the mast reaches its fully opened or fully closed position, the clutch assembly, in the gear set of the motor assembly, will simply start slipping and give a growl/grinding sound until the timer turns the motor off. All of this is normal, and on some cars its very noisy, and others are much more quiet. You say you replaced the mast assembly. If broken pieces of the old mast's toothed nylon whip were left in the gearbox, they could be jamming up with the new mast's whip creating the noise. If this is the case, the only way to get the pieces out is to remove the assembly from the car and open up its gearbox. Been there, done that. Its not rocket science but can be fiddly, particularly if the motor and gearbox are riveted together, rather than bolted or screwed.

Rodgie,

On your year ES I can't say for sure, but a service manual will show you where it is located. Typically the timer is attached to the antenna assembly or very close to it on a bracket. They usually are the size of a normal relay and are entirely enclosed with no access to changing the the time settings. That's not to say that the timing couldn't be changed somehow through the software.

Gene

Rodgie,

On your year ES I can't say for sure, but a service manual will show you where it is located. Typically the timer is attached to the antenna assembly or very close to it on a bracket. They usually are the size of a normal relay and are entirely enclosed with no access to changing the the time settings. That's not to say that the timing couldn't be changed somehow through the software.

Gene

Rodgie,

Gene

Rodgie,

Gene

• 2 weeks later...
Rodgie,

I replaced the antenna mast on my wife's '94 ES300 a couple of years back. Before I installed the new mast I removed the passenger side trunk panel to gain access to the antenna mast tube and motor. I then unplugged the wiring harness and removed the motor assembly. Once I had the motor assembly on my work bench I removed the cover (I can't remember if it had screws or bolts) to the gear box and found small fragments of the old nylon retractor/extension tape all mixed up in the grease and around the gear. I cleaned out the gear box and repacked it with lithium grease and re-installed the motor assembly before inserting the new mast and retractor/extension tape. I'm not sure what the proper lubricant is for this part but I have not had any problems with the antenna for going on 2 years and it is quiet as can be. Not difficult, just time consuming.

• 2 weeks later...
Rodgie,

I replaced the antenna mast on my wife's '94 ES300 a couple of years back. Before I installed the new mast I removed the passenger side trunk panel to gain access to the antenna mast tube and motor. I then unplugged the wiring harness and removed the motor assembly. Once I had the motor assembly on my work bench I removed the cover (I can't remember if it had screws or bolts) to the gear box and found small fragments of the old nylon retractor/extension tape all mixed up in the grease and around the gear. I cleaned out the gear box and repacked it with lithium grease and re-installed the motor assembly before inserting the new mast and retractor/extension tape. I'm not sure what the proper lubricant is for this part but I have not had any problems with the antenna for going on 2 years and it is quiet as can be. Not difficult, just time consuming.

I replaced my mast once and it worked fine for about two years. I actually took apart motor assembly to clean and re lubricate with white lithium grease (mine had screws, bolts, and nuts). Had to remove and replace mast again last year due to antennae motor noise when fully lowered. But this time it continues to run after fully lowering and raising. The internal gears look good and I have tried even another new mast with the same results. Could it have something to do with my reassembly of the internal plastic gears?

In my attempt to clean out the old grease I removed the center main gear and it popped open revealing a metal retaining clip inside the gear housing. I may have replaced it incorrectly. The metal clip seems like it was designed to stop the gear spinning in some fashion.

Anyone know if this could effect the open and close limits of the antennae mast and thus causing the antennae motor gear grinding noise even after installing a new mast?

Thanks.